New MY2020 Facelift...

all hail the MMI wheel! Interestingly I tried reaching my screen today just wondering what it would be like as a touch screen and its a fair old stretch to touch it. At least in the new A6 its within easy reach.

Reactions: rasA4, tickedon, SMI77 and 2 others
Screens in the new models have haptic feedback whereas this new A4 screen apparently doesn’t

Reactions: NevMan
Agree, no MMI wheel would be a stretch for tall drivers to touch the screen, before the haptic happens.
One has to physically look at the screen = take eyes off the road. At least the MMI wheel can be operated in 'braille".
Fingermarks - the SWMBO drives & uses a ton of handcream. Another good reason not to use it.
Retain the MMI wheel & ditch the fugly, unnecessary gearshift.

Regards from the better country on earth.

Reactions: NevMan
There will always be voice control, personally I feel all touchscreens should be disabled once the car is moving anyway..

Reactions: jds_sg
My current 66 plate A4 Avant is due to be replaced shortly, so a few months ago I placed an order for my next car. Another A4 Avant, 2.0 (40) S-Stonic S-Line.

Literally an hour after placing my order I stumbled across some posts on here highlighting the upcoming facelift to the A4 range. A quick phone call to my dealer and they claimed to know nothing about it....bullsh*t obviously. I was given the option to cancel but I dwelled upon it for a week or so and decided to keep my order.

Having seen these new pictures I’m glad I didn’t cancel and wait for this new car. The exterior doesn’t float my boat tbh and I’m glad my car will have the rotary dial in stead of a hideous fingerprint laden touch screen.

Roll on July for my new steed to arrive!

Reactions: jds_sg and NevMan
all hail the MMI wheel! Interestingly I tried reaching my screen today just wondering what it would be like as a touch screen and its a fair old stretch to touch it. At least in the new A6 its within easy reach.
Placement of the screen in the facelift is closer and angled towards to driver:
Touchscreen

I am sure Audi would have taken the positioning into consideration, however when real cars are available we'll know for sure...

Reactions: jds_sg, Simonwhite2000 and NevMan
Utterly hideous face lift.The elegant b9 now gone.Ive seen this happen at BMW in the early 80s to their beautiful E23 7 series .
Not enough change to the interior either and that tacked on massive touch screen is a disaster aesthetically and usability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tipp55
Personally I like the mild facelift look, the interior didn't need a lot of change IMO, as it was already a very strong positive feature. Not sure it'll be enough to better the new 3 series BMW though overall which is always the benchmark in this sector.

Have to say I'm no fan of touchscreens in cars though, as others have said above they're too distracting to use, look a mess with finger prints when off, etc., but its clearly a trend thing as all manufacturers are going that way.

Utterly hideous face lift.The elegant b9 now gone.Ive seen this happen at BMW in the early 80s to their beautiful E23 7 series .
Not enough change to the interior either and that tacked on massive touch screen is a disaster aesthetically and usability.
It’s only a midlife update so interior changes are minimal. I’m not a fan of touchscreens, but how can you say it's a disaster without seeing it in the flesh.

Reactions: tickedon and cuke2u
The 8.5 facelift wasn't exactly well received by all on Audi forums either when that first came out either

Have to say that when I saw the photos I thought "this looks ****". However, I watched the Autogefuhl video and in the video the exterior looks much better. Will reserve full judgement until I see one in the metal.

Mixed feelings about the touchscreen: I too worry about the lack of tactile feedback from a touchscreen vs buttons and having to look at the screen to target what you're touching, but thinking about it it's still fairly distracting fumbling about for the existing buttons / MMI wheel without taking your eyes off the road so maybe it's a wash overall. If the voice control is greatly improved then I'd take that in combination with a touchscreen over the current setup any day, much safer to use voice when you're in motion IMHO.

Main problem for me is the engine range: there's no direct (or close) replacement for the 272 diesel unless you go S4, but I'm not sure a diesel S4 is different enough to my current car to justify the extra cost...

Reactions: cuke2u and tickedon
Read this today:

"Audi Design Chief Marc Lichte isn’t a fan of iPad-like displays in cars. “We integrate our displays into the dashboard,” he said. “In 10 or 15 years, when everything is augmented display or voice control, everyone will say: ‘Remember when everyone put an iPad in their car?’ I don’t want to do this. I want to create timeless products.”

Sure you do Mr Lichte, we believe you, really we do....

Reactions: tickedon
Read this today:

"Audi Design Chief Marc Lichte isn’t a fan of iPad-like displays in cars. “We integrate our displays into the dashboard,” he said. “In 10 or 15 years, when everything is augmented display or voice control, everyone will say: ‘Remember when everyone put an iPad in their car?’ I don’t want to do this. I want to create timeless products.”

Sure you do Mr Lichte, we believe you, really we do....
so......diesel engines and fake exhausts MUST be timeless then...Genius!

Oh, and scroll wheel removed as not timeless, to be replaced with......iPad-Like touch screen :whistle2:

Nice logic

Reactions: rasA4 and cuke2u
New model range will be available to order from week 28 (8th July), with a slight chance of that being brought forward a week.

Reactions: cuke2u
New model range will be available to order from week 28 (8th July), with a slight chance of that being brought forward a week.

Counting down...not. Must be one of the most underwhelming FL for some time

Reactions: Keef and cuke2u
Counting down...not. Must be one of the most underwhelming FL for some time
It's more of a facelift than the B9.25 was, that was more like a quick facewash :grinning:

Reactions: tickedon, cuke2u and NevMan
Fake exhausts saga.

In the link for the S4 (S5???), it can be clearly seen the exhaust only exits on one side, but has real tips similar to the current 3.0 V6 TFSi.
The tips on the opposite side must be fake.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/audi/2020-audi-s4-avant-ar185114.html

In the link for the S6 TDi, if one scrolls down to the gallery and click on #43, it can be clearly seen the exhaust again only exits on one side, but, as we know this is actually before the rear valance.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audi-s6-43

Have we established that all models have fake exhausts on one side, or is it only the S4?

It's more of a facelift than the B9.25 was, that was more like a quick facewash :grinning:

It looks as if my 'quick facewash' B9.25 S-Line is one of the most exclusive variants - I have seen literally a handful on the roads. Must also be a record for the shortest production run of any variant..... Really wonder why Audi bothered!

Reactions: DaveW, Tripper and tickedon
It looks as if my 'quick facewash' B9.25 S-Line is one of the most exclusive variants - I have seen literally a handful on the roads. Must also be a record for the shortest production run of any variant..... Really wonder why Audi bothered!
Yeah I’ve a black edition on a 19 plate and can’t imagine I’m going to see many like it

They are a rare sight, I would have liked to have seen the one I originally ordered.

I was only referring to other models of the A4, not other Audi models. Apologies for not making that clear...

They are a rare sight, I would have liked to have seen the one I originally ordered.
There was a black edition 40tfsi in my doctors surgery car park this morning. I would have taken a picture however it was raining cats and dogs here this morning...

Reactions: DaveW
I received a phone call yesterday from Marshall Audi retain group enquiring about my intentions when my current deal ends in November. Interestingly, they said they have some super deals for existing customers on MY20. I will see how good next week when I meet the Sales Exec at my local dealer.

Reactions: tickedon
After reading the initial opinions it is clear I am not the only one who has failed to be sold on this face-lift. The distinctive notched headlights are gone, the side crease does not continue across the doors making the car look more slab sided and I am not convinced about the gap between bonnet and grille. The back end look tidier, but that's about it. I do feel my 9.25 s-line is a better looking car.

I also question the wisdom if removing the 'i-drive / MMI' dial - thus forcing us down the touch screen route. My previous F30 BMW had a touch screen, however did retain the dial and I think the G20 does aswell. Why remove it? Personally I really like being able to easily control all functions with my left hand whilst resting my wrist on the gear selector - from what I can see this will no longer be an option.

My current car has the 40 TDI engine and from what I have read this will carry over to the facelift without benefiting from the mild hybrid '40 TDI' variant offered with the A6. I will be interested to see whether there are any significant tweaks to the drive-train, transmission or suspension. Whilst I am perfectly happy with the DSG box there is definitely room for improvement in terms of responsiveness (it is not quite at the same level as the ZF 8 speeder in the BMW). The stop / start is absolutely terrible and the first think I do when switching on the ignition is to disable it!

Also it would be nice if the steering / handling could be sharpened (OK - maybe more like a 3 series) but retaining the Audi quility and refinement.

I have another 3 and a half years with my company A4 - hopefully when that time is up there will be a brand new A4.....

Are there any pictures of the rear of the Avant from a distance ? Can’t see any at first glance, I’d like to see how much of a mess they’ve made of it.
From the configurator at audi.de. I imagine the Black Edition will look something like this, TBH it doesn't look bad at all. IMHO the horizontal chrome strip (copied from A6) looks nice on the rear.

Not as bad as I feared. Still really undecided as to whether to just go for a MY2019, wait until MY2020 become available as used approved, or stick with my A3 !

I received a phone call yesterday from Marshall Audi retain group enquiring about my intentions when my current deal ends in November. Interestingly, they said they have some super deals for existing customers on MY20. I will see how good next week when I meet the Sales Exec at my local dealer.
What were the deals like?

Most audi dealerships are running promotions to sell stock my19 cars at cost price plus £1 so they can make room for the my20 vehicles...

Interesting to see the facelift Q7 gets the A6 interior when the A4 A5 doesnt. More of a premium product though with more margin I guess.

Interesting to see the facelift Q7 gets the A6 interior when the A4 A5 doesnt. More of a premium product though with more margin I guess.
They’d already put it in the new Q8 so the hard work was already done. The A4 platform would have been a first, so more work required. It’s also possibly the case we’d get something closer to single screen setup from A1 / Q3 in A4 rather than dual screens of A6+

They’d already put it in the new Q8 so the hard work was already done. The A4 platform would have been a first, so more work required. It’s also possibly the case we’d get something closer to single screen setup from A1 / Q3 in A4 rather than dual screens of A6+
Good points mate.

However the A4 has always been a step up from the a1 and the a3, hugely so in terms of technology and the quality of not only the materials used but also in terms of switch gear. I would say the b9 was the first in this respect. However audi has decided it to make it look no better in any old saloon or hatchback in this class, and below. This is a backward step not one that should be setting the standards, more of a 'make do'...

However the A4 has always been a step up from the a1 and the a3, hugely so in terms of technology and the quality of not only the materials used but also in terms of switch gear. I would say the b9 was the first in this respect. However audi has decided it to make it look no better in any old saloon or hatchback in this class, and below. This is a backward step not one that should be setting the standards, more of a 'make do'...

I think the question is if center console in A4 will be wide enough for the second touch display used in the A6.