Westy W

Reaction score
I have a friend who has bought an S4 B5 estate, one previous owner, needed some love, we have already started
Had some paint improvements to make it look sweeter
Fitted a new (second hand) front subframe (corroded)
New front pulleys and timing belts
MOt'd for 12 months

Suspension
He wants to do some simple mods, idea? bilstein kit all round, for some reason previous owner fitted some std springs to the rear so it sits too high at the back. An all-round kit of springs and tuned shock absorbers would be ideal I guess, tuned to each other
who/ what would you all recommend for a good all round effect?

Uprated brakes
What have people fitted for the best improvement over standard without going really mad, ideally same callipers or simple mods, I guess drilled/ slotted discs and suitable pads

Engine tuning
We have another mate with a RS4 B5 that has an MRC tune (lovely car), are these the boys for the S4 B5 and finally needs an exhaust, what would you all recommend

We aim to bring it back to life and enjoy this future classic, any ideas are very welcome.

Thanks for reading

Suspension as with everything depends on budget. The KW V1's or the BC coilovers seem to be the best bang for your buck, but still around £800. I have the V1's and would recommend them. AP's also seem to get good reviews and are around £500. I have no experience in springs only but i'm sure you wont go far wrong with the usual suspects, H&R, Eibach etc.

Brembo 18z's are probably one of the most common upgrades in terms of brakes, prices are somewhere in the region of £500 give or take depending on condition. They work well with ML55 discs (with some modification). This set up wont fit behind standard wheels though.
You can also fit brakes off a B6/B7 S4. I believe these are a direct fit and they do fit behind standard wheels. Probably looking at around £300 for these and they'll be a definite improvement over standard.
Or you can fit B5 RS4 brakes. These can be had very cheap, mainly because the disks and pads are more expensive and nobody wants them.

In terms of tuning, there are others out there but i only have experience with MRC. They got just under 340bhp out of mine with gutted RS4 dp's, a toyosport exhaust with de-cat and one of their panel filters. Happy with the results but they are not cheap.

Any pics of the car?
Got a little thread going for mine if you fancy a nosey: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/back-again-noggy-b5-s4.381336/

Bilstein B12 kit is a very well regarded spring and shock setup if you not after “mad lows” it’s a very modest drop.

18z’s are very good but the 345mm setup from a C6 or b6 S4 is a good upgrade, you can still use your standard b5 wheels with it (can’t recall if they work with 18’z) and if you’ve savvy with your searches you’ll find a very good deal to be had, I’d personally stick with plain discs and better pads and fluid, you’ll get better performance from that over drilled discs, I run red stuff on my s4 and they are fine, also being a ceramic pad they produce less dust so my wheels stay cleaner for longer.

The b6 s4 rear brakes accompany the fronts very well, getting a bit thin on the ground now but they do come up, or you can run “trigs brackets” on the back with FL calipers and they’ll give you the 300mm rears like the b6 calipers but you won’t get the same contact area as it uses smaller pads, a bit of shuffling with the handbrake cables is required to make them reach but it’s easy enough done and plenty of info in forums like SRS

MRC are “the boys” when it comes to the b5 but they are also loosing interest in the model now, I’m sure they’ll map it no problems, where in the world are you as I know a very good guy in notts that has a good rep with b5’s.

Good evening guys and thanks for your replies, my buddy is going to order some wheels, his standard avus are ok but he fancies some larger wheels

Can anyone recommends these

Upload 2019 12 17 18 34 50

Upload 2019 12 17 18 35 24

With regards to the suspension, can anyone receomend these, want to try and keep the bilsteins

https://www.bilsteinsuspensionstore.co.uk/bilstein-b12--prokit-suspension-kit-46183316_p31028224.htm

Thanks for your help so far, will sort some pictures, its just back from paint, interior is black with alcantara with navy blue

Thanks again

It’s a good kit, quite a few people use it. If you’re happy with a fixed ride height it’s a good choice. Just bear in mind they’re not adjustable.