New Member with an S6 Avant on it's way.

12ACD

Reaction score
After six consecutive Mercedes it was time for a change so our E Class estate is being replaced with an S6 Avant.

Originally ordered in December 2016 it will have been in Quality Control for three weeks as of tomorrow. So I'm guessing it will arrive at some point during May. Long lead time is due to Exclusive paint.

I agonised about ordering the black edition but I really dislike privacy glass (yes I know I seem to be in the minority in the UK but I really do hate the current fashion for having half the cars glass black).

Audi wouldn't build a black edition S6 without the privacy glass and I couldn't stomach the £2,500 cost of swapping out the tinted glass to clear once it arrived here and the idea that the car might be damaged. So I went with the regular model and figured if I didn't like the chrome I could get it wrapped or painted at a later date.

I really don't like the HUGE strip of chrome on the bottom edge of the tailgate though, please tell me this is stuck on and can be removed?

Other options are:-

Matrix LED Headlights
Panoramic roof
Tech pack + advanced parking 360 camera thing
BOSE
Birch Natural Grey instead of carbon trim
Comfort seats - Black leather
Badge delete
Black interior headliner
Flat bottomed steering wheel
Electrically Adjustable Steering wheel

We went with standard 19" wheels. This my daily driver and I may or may not fit winter tyres to the 19's and maybe buy another set for summer - time will tell.

The colour, well this is actually what drew me to Audi, the ability to paint the car any colour I like for not a daft amount of money. The last Mercedes I ordered had Designo paint and it was very expensive and still quite restrictive as to what you could order.

I looked at all sorts of colours and considered the following:-

Aston Martin Amethyst Red
Porsche Amethyst
Bentley Damson Metallic
Bentley Alpine Green Metallic
Bentley Silverlake Metallic (light blue) - I really liked this but it needed a cream interior which wasn't available.
Audi Samoa Orange
Audi Dark Red Mica (I my have got the name wrong on this a bit)
Audi Classic Red
Mercedes Designo Mystic Red
Mercedes Designo Mystic Blue (the same colour my other Mercedes is painted)

Many of these colours looked awesome in bright sunshine but almost black on a dull overcast day and I fancied something that was bright and different so in the end settled on this:-

1_zpsdflsp2dz.jpg

Bentley Orange Flame.

This delayed the order as Audi Exclusive came back and said they'd never painted any car that colour before so they had to test it first, as they didn't come back and say No they must have been happy to go ahead!

So it is with some excitement and a little trepidation that I await the arrival of my car within the next month or so.

I'll post some pictures once it has arrived.

The colour choice should split opinion:)

Last edited:
Reactions: wellsy and Sandra
Hi, welcome to Audi-sport.net. That is a brave colour choice. I think it's totally awesome. I will need to make you a special banner as we don't currently have that on my lists. Can't wait to see pics of it on your car. Post pics as soon as collection. Hope you don't have to wait much longer. Enjoy the forum:)

Reactions: 12ACD
Can't wait to see pics, some cars look great in orange. I think a set of black wheels would set it off well.

DSCN0313_zpsjvswcn6o.jpg

DSCN0311_zps1z1ljmoc.jpg

DSCN0310_zpshisbumsx.jpg

Reactions: reyu and Rhyso
Collected this morning.

I know it would have looked awesome as a black edition but there were just too many components of the package that I didn't want.

So I'm probably going to wrap the chrome around the windows and the roof rails black.

The chrome strip on the boot edge is an eyesore, it's going for a detail soon so I'm hoping the detailler can remove that strip (I hope it's stuck on).

There are no badges bar the grille, I wanted this to be a Q car and I think it's captured that perfectly.

Wheels will stay for the time being and I'll just see how I feel about them after a while.

There is very little sensation of speed in this car, it moves incredibly quickly with very little fuss, to a degree that the first thing I've don't is get the digital speedo up in the middle of the dash.

I'll post some better pictures once the detail has been completed in a week or so.

Overall I'm absolutely delighted.

Reactions: V6_Man
Looks deadly!

But yes, the chrome has to go (as it does on most cars!)

Have you had the chrome strip removed? Did it come off ok?

It's in this coming week for some detailing work. I can't see it being anything other than stuck on.

I've had a chat with the guy that does my detailing and we figure some dental floss or similar behind it should remove it. I'll get some before and after pictures once it's done and post them up here.

Reactions: wellsy
Just received the following picture from Ed at Divine Detail where the S6 is currently being cleaned, polished, shined and protected.

I'm delighted to report the offending chrome gargoyle on the boot lid is stuck on and can be removed with dental floss/fishing wire and a bit of patience.

Rear%20no%20chrome_zps9gmtcuw1.jpg

Ed is based in Surrey and I highly recommend his services, he's a genuine enthusiast and is often dealing with vehicles that are worth more than my house. So I'm quite comfortable leaving any of my cars with him.

I'll post more pictures on completion.

EDIT:- So I asked Ed if it (the chrome strip) put up much of a fight and his response was:-

"****** nightmare! Taped the whole way along, I soaked it with tar remover to soften, heated with a hairdryer and then flossed it but it left a lot behind, worth it though!"

Last edited:
Reactions: wellsy and Rhyso
A few more pics during detail, after paint coating applied. It's indoors curing overnight. I get it back tomorrow.

I can't believe how much of a difference removing that chrome trim makes.

Dea_zps81khudy2.jpg

Detail_zpsyn4fqydu.jpg

Detail2_zpsxxqsimfi.jpg

Reactions: fingermouse, Rhyso and DaveW
Detailing finished a few shots in the sunshine. It's difficult to capture the depth of colour of this paint which is lovely in person.

IMG_7697_zpsmwhsl2qv.jpg

IMG_7699_zpsd8ibhbcn.jpg

IMG_7701_zpsfxvx5ojm.jpg

Reactions: V6_Man, Rhyso and Sandra
Wow, car is looking amazing. I really love the colour. :)

Lovely looking colour! Are you planning on removing the rest of the chrome on the car?

Lovely looking colour! Are you planning on removing the rest of the chrome on the car?

At the moment I'm undecided. Ideally the roof rails and window surrounds would be better painted, but that's a headliner out job and the window surrounds are a nightmare to remove. I would prefer not to have the car dismantled, the build quality is excellent.

I quite like the grille as it is and the body colour goes well with a touch of chrome. A black edition would have looked altogether different, more sporty and aggressive I guess, I'm not sure that's where I wanted to be although I was undecided about black edition vs standard when I ordered. However I didn't want 20" rims on a daily, I didn't want privacy glass and I didn't want piano black trim. If I could have ordered black optics without all the other gubbins (like you seem to be able to on pretty much every other A6) I would have done.

That leaves wrapping, however the rails are a difficult shape and the window surrounds fiddly. I don't want a company cutting wrap on the car and potentially damaging the paint.

Now the huge chrome picture rail has been removed from the boot (better images below) it has changed the look of the car already. So I'm reluctant to steam into doing too much too soon. This is a long term keeper for us (I bought the 5 year warranty extension).

The wheels are staying for the time being, however I do like BBS CI-R in satin Platinum. So I may end up with standard wheels for winter and BBS for Summer. That said I really like the Q car appearance. No badges, no big wheels, no privacy glass. It's the reason I bought this car and not an RS6, the S6 is everything the RS6 isn't. Understated and subtle, then I painted it Orange!

IMG_7691_zpsd8axxk0b.jpg

IMG_7690_zpsc6dotytf.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BarryG79, V6_Man and Radford212
'It's the reason I bought this car and not an RS6, the S6 is everything the RS6 isn't. Understated and subtle, then I painted it Orange!'

This made me chuckle :tearsofjoy:

'It's the reason I bought this car and not an RS6, the S6 is everything the RS6 isn't. Understated and subtle, then I painted it Orange!'

This made me chuckle :tearsofjoy:

When I'm given the choice of painting a car "any colour I like" the first thing I'm going to make sure of is it's something no one else has!

There's something very satisfying about knowing there isn't another one of these anywhere.

And why be dull? There are too many monochrome cars in the UK and a bit of colour just brightens up the day. I've had so many positive comments even when stood in a petrol station filling it up.

When I'm given the choice of painting a car "any colour I like" the first thing I'm going to make sure of is it's something no one else has!

There's something very satisfying about knowing there isn't another one of these anywhere.

And why be dull? There are too many monochrome cars in the UK and a bit of colour just brightens up the day. I've had so many positive comments even when stood in a petrol station filling it up.

I'm not criticising your decision in the slightest, sorry if it seemed that way. Personally I'm all for outlandish colours on cars. I love the Java green that you can get on the TT. Like you said, it must be nice knowing that you have the only one on the road.

In no way did I take your post as a criticism at all, I had a chuckle myself when I was writing the statement you mentioned:smiley:

Reactions: Radford212
Asides from having the only colour, I imagine you won't see another S6 very often. They seem to be rarer than the RS6, I've seen 3 RS6's in the last couple of weeks but I've never seen an S6 in the flesh.

Asides from having the only colour, I imagine you won't see another S6 very often. They seem to be rarer than the RS6, I've seen 3 RS6's in the last couple of weeks but I've never seen an S6 in the flesh.

Even Audi didn't have many available last year when were considering ordering one. It took them three weeks to find one to test drive and only saloons were available. When I came to order it the dealer said she couldn't remember the last one of these they sold.

If the stats on How Many left are to be believed Audi sell approximate 10x the number of RS6's vs S6's annually.

Part of me doesn't understand why, this car is awesome, but I think it falls foul of the second highest model in the range syndrome, also known as "you really wanted the top of the range car but couldn't afford it". Or worrying what the neighbours think.

This is the same reasoning that would lead people to buy a W12 Bentley Continental , when the reality is that in almost every aspect the V8s Continental is a better car.

There was something shouty about the RS6 that I didn't like. I'm thinking a lot of that is the fact I'm 47 and have entered a time of life where comfort has started to rank higher than "sporty" when it comes to cars. I have something else to drive on sunny days when I want to go sporty (see my sig).

When I gave it to Ed at Divine Detail he was so curious he asked to drive it, which I'm fine with. He described it like finding this little secret that no one else knew about. Whilst in his care he had a couple of customers come and look at it, one of whom had just taken delivery of a new 911 with special order Paint to Sample by Porsche. He said the paint on this Audi was head and shoulders better quality than Porsche. The fit and finish of this car is simply excellent.

I just don't understand why Audi sell so few of these, It is effectively an estate Bentley Continental for a third of the price and limited interior options.

Love the burnt orange style colours, definetly unique and striking when you see one on the road and you own one :D

Saw a McLaren P1 in a similar colour and fell in love.

Love the burnt orange style colours, definetly unique and striking when you see one on the road and you own one :D

Saw a McLaren P1 in a similar colour and fell in love.

McLaren Volcano Orange was one of the colour options I looked at but it was triple layer which Audi won't do.

I said that to the missus. A friend also has an S6 which is one of the reasons we chose one but I've never seen another on the road.

What's the power difference between yours and an RS6?

Audi rate them at about 450hp. If you believe the American magazines it appears closer to 480hp.

However I think the double clutch transmission generates much less transmission loss and it performs a little better than expected when compared with its more powerful brothers with torque converter boxes.

Audi rate them at about 450hp. If you believe the American magazines it appears closer to 480hp.

However I think the double clutch transmission generates much less transmission loss and it performs a little better than expected when compared with its more powerful brothers with torque converter boxes.

Got yourself a sleeper then. Most people will probably think you've just got an estate til you disappear into the distance :grin::grin:

I said that to the missus. A friend also has an S6 which is one of the reasons we chose one but I've never seen another on the road.

Do they still have that satisfying exhaust note like the RS6?

Do they still have that satisfying exhaust note like the RS6?

No they are more muted, it's a pleasant burble rather than a shouty nascar V8. Dynamic mode opens it a little but not a huge amount.

I think it suits the sleeper nature of the car but there are a lot of systems available for those who want them - mostly developed in the US where Audi don't sell the RS6 so you find a lot of modifed S6's over the pond.

No they are more muted, it's a pleasant burble rather than a shouty nascar V8. Dynamic mode opens it a little but not a huge amount.

I think it suits the sleeper nature of the car but there are a lot of systems available for those who want them - mostly developed in the US where Audi don't sell the RS6 so you find a lot of modifed S6's over the pond.

Don't fancy getting an exhaust system for it then?

Don't fancy getting an exhaust system for it then?

No, I can understand why others would but this is my comfortable daily driver and I like it just as it is. I would have bought the RS6 if that's what I was looking for.

I have another car for days I want a blast and get the wind in my hair and as soon as we move house (proving very difficult right now) and I get some decent garaging I'll add something a bit more special with 12 cylinders that makes more noise.:yes:

No, I can understand why others would but this is my comfortable daily driver and I like it just as it is. I would have bought the RS6 if that's what I was looking for.

I have another car for days I want a blast and get the wind in my hair and as soon as we move house (proving very difficult right now) and I get some decent garaging I'll add something a bit more special with 12 cylinders that makes more noise.:yes:

Can understand that, it might become a bit tiresome listening to it everyday if it were your daily. Needs to be reserved for special occasions to fully appreciate it, otherwise you might become numb to it.

Ooh 12 cylinders eh? Sounds like something too look forward to. Murciélago LP670-4 SV is the only V12 I've driven. Will probably be the only one I get to drive too. It was phenomenal.

I'm very keen on a Ferrari FF and I'm watching the market. I need a house move before I can even contemplate one, it would have to be garaged.

I'm very keen on a Ferrari FF and I'm watching the market. I need a house move before I can even contemplate one, it would have to be garaged.

Would it be red or would you go for a different one?

I'll worry about that when I've got somewhere to keep it.

Preferably blue tdf with sabbia if I manage to find one.