New member new questions (i hope as search didn't help me)

Maggz

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here and just bought a 2014 S1 in Sepang Blue:

PXL 20220314 181758692 2

I've previously lived in the UK and have owned a 350bhp Octavia VRS (RS for Europeans), and a GTI mk7 with similar power so I'm quite familiar with the EA888 engine and had a upgrade list created before even getting my car delivered :witless:.
However my problem is that I've never owned an S1 before and I'm assuming quite a few of those parts may not fit my car due to the smaller size of the engine bay and the overall car, so I'm hoping some members here may have some personal experiences with a few of the parts I want to buy and can tell me if I should go for them or find a better option :redface new:

I'm currently looking at the following parts and areas:

Turbo elbow and large bore intake pipe:
I've always used the TurboTechnics hose and bell mouth as it's a single piece and fitted my 2 cars perfectly, but not sure if anyone here ever tried using them (not sure URLs are allowed so not posting one)?
As an alternative I'm looking at APR cast elbow and their intake pipe, or Racingline elbow and their intake pipe. Unfortunately 034 Motorsport and CTS parts are hard to find in my part of the world.

I've been reading that the factory intake box is big enough and that a quality panel filter is needed - any idea if that's actually true? Where I live I need a German TUV for each upgrade and for the S1 I could only find Eventuri that does an intake and provides TUV homologation and online opinions on eventuri are mixed, loads reporting loss of power and not increases. If anyone has any experience with the eventuri intakes for S1, your opinion would be absolutely amazing. So it's either factory box with a panel filter or eventuri.

As an alternative i'm looking at the APR carbon intake but it's possible I wont be able to pass homologation for it - but nevertheless - has anyone successfully fitted it to the S1? APR says it doesn't fit and that they don't do a intake for the S1 (but i've seen pics of it being used!) - i got the same reply from Racingline R600 intake due to the grill size :frown:

The rest of my plans after I sort out the elbow & intake conundrum will be a stage 1, Sachs organic clutch or their performance clutch kit as I know jelly based OEM one will start slipping in a month, and probably a bigger intercooler for the stupid hot summers we have here, and that's where I keep lying to myself is where I'll stop :)

Glad to be here and any questions or comments please let me know

Last edited:
Just chuck a Revo intake on, it's a one piece pipe and incorporates the larger elbow, proven development and gains too.

The problem with Revo is that they don't have any TUV or ABE certifications for the EU market (or didn't have it about a year ago), so first time I get stopped I'm risking that my car will get impounded. But I'll send them an email and ask again just to be sure.

Thanks for the idea though :)

Oh I see, we don't have to worry about that in the UK, I'll bow out and allow recommendations from our European friends :)

Yeah, I miss that about UK. Modding my cars was a fun hobby, especially without the govt. telling me what part I can or cannot use :blush:

Reactions: Phazer
Hi all, does anyone know if the engine layout and air filter box is positioned the same in the S1 and golf GTI? I want to buy the turbo technics inlet pipe and elbow but not sure it'll fit if the air box is maybe positioned differently on the S1 due to the smaller engine bay.

Did anyone try to fit any GTI intake hose to an S1?

Also here's a few pics from my driving weekend in Italy

Attachments

• PXL_20220319_095506088.jpg
    PXL_20220319_095506088.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20220318_140848725~3.jpg
    PXL_20220318_140848725~3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20220318_140147696.jpg
    PXL_20220318_140147696.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97