New Member - HELP On Buying an A5 Please...

A5 Fizzy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to this forum and just wanted some help on upgrading to an A5 please.

I have wanted an A5 for a while now and now is the time to buy one. I use a work van so I don't drive that many miles each day. Maybe 3 miles to work and 3 back. So diesel is a no no, right?

I have around £4.5k at the minute, I have gone into my local Audi dealers & they have shown me a 1.8 TFSI Black Edition. Currently at £23,999 and 9k miles on it. It's a little more than I would've liked to pay. It has all the spec I would like BUT, doesn't have the built in sat nav that I want. My car I currently have has all extras possible, so I have been a bit spoilt. I have a test drive next friday. Is this a bit expensive for the car or not? Any help possible would be appreciated. What models would people recommend? I am interested in the Black Edition. Has the 1.8 got a little poke in it or is it a little slow?

Thank you for reading.

I've not driven the 1.8 so I can't comment on it's performance. There is always the modifications route if you bought it and it felt too slow.

I think the price with that kind of mileage isn't too bad, but I'd always haggle on the price as there is room. If I'm brutal, I have the satnav and it's OK, but my Garmin I use in my hire car is better. The A5 nav is slow, clunky and unless you have the HD screen version a bit crude. Yes it looks better than a string of wires and plastic boxes, but it's really not that special so I wouldn't make it a deal breaker.

There are some very good discounts on A4 / A5 at the moment so look at Orange wheels / Drive the Deal to see whether you could spec a new one and get 10% discount and you may find there is very little difference in price to a 'nearly new'. As yes, on your mileage I wouldn't go diesel as the DPF won't regen properly.

Diesel is indeed a no-no for those miles.

The cars with SatNav and BOSE always command the best prices and are more common on the more expensive cars in the range.

You might be better off going for an older S-line (which still has a 180W, 10 speaker system with active sub) costing say. £17K and retrofitting a SatNav unit that fits in place of the existing screen (like this ) and looks like a genuine Satnav at first sight.

24K is too much when you can pick up a brand new car for £26K.

Thank you both for replying. I would straight away go for the 3.0 but just can't warrant that due to the miles I do.

I decided to not purchase the car. On the Audi website it also stated the car had Cruise control etc, when it didn't. I want the works as I've always wanted an A5.

Thanks again.

Thank you both for replying. I would straight away go for the 3.0 but just can't warrant that due to the miles I do.

I decided to not purchase the car. On the Audi website it also stated the car had Cruise control etc, when it didn't. I want the works as I've always wanted an A5.

Thanks again.

Were you thinking of something like this ? Fully loaded & only 17K miles!

Earlier this year I bought a 2011 car with 12K miles and it just looks and feels like new.

Reactions: A5 Fizzy
Were you thinking of something like this ? Fully loaded & only 17K miles!

Earlier this year I bought a 2011 car with 12K miles and it just looks and feels like new.

That is exactly what I am after! Thanks for the spot. I'd need to see a picture of that car. Is that silver a light silver???

I would prefer to have Daytona Grey but this has interested me. How much do you think I can get off the price?

Thanks again.

That is exactly what I am after! Thanks for the spot. I'd need to see a picture of that car. Is that silver a light silver???

I would prefer to have Daytona Grey but this has interested me. How much do you think I can get off the price?

Thanks again.

You might get £1K off the price, but that is not a bad price to begin with. Dealers do bump up the price of very low mileage cars, <20K miles. Might be easier to get a fresh set of tyres if needed, or an extra year of warranty. The list price before discounts in 2011 was £32,000.

Use the search function on the Audi website to find other cars of similar colour. Should be easy since it is very popular.

My own car is Ice Silver - not a colour I wanted as the wife's car is also silver - but the rest of the car was exactly what I was looking for and I had to compromise. Since January I have not seen another used car like it, so I have no regrets in having paid the asking price at the time.

Last edited:
Hi, not much to add from what others have said, although I disagree and think the Sat Nav is worth it - although totally understand the counter argument's around cost and why some wouldn't buy the built in Sat Nav. On the whole it's fast enough - the only time it's frustrating (on my car at least) is when I change route (go a different direction to the planned one) with the Google Maps view present, it can take a while to refresh the main screen. Worst case switch to the normal Sat Nav view then it's fine.

There are some very good discounts on new ones - to the point that going used up to about a year old doesn't make much sense, IMHO.

The one that beemerboy has linked too looks good. As you realise I don't think that diesel is appropriate for your needs so I'd stick with Petrol. Depending on age of vehicle be aware that some 2.0TFSi's had a bit of drink problem with regards to oil consumption. I think these are the 211PS variants up to about 2011 (I think).

Happy hunting!

You might get £1K off the price, but that is not a bad price to begin with. Dealers do bump up the price of very low mileage cars, <20K miles. Might be easier to get a fresh set of tyres if needed, or an extra year of warranty. The list price before discounts in 2011 was £32,000.

Use the search function on the Audi website to find other cars of similar colour. Should be easy since it is very popular.

My own car is Ice Silver - not a colour I wanted as the wife's car is also silver - but the rest of the car was exactly what I was looking for and I had to compromise. Since January I have not seen another used car like it, so I have no regrets in having paid the asking price at the time.

I want to spend around 18k. A grand off would be nice. Have you got a pic of your A5 buddy???

Hi, not much to add from what others have said, although I disagree and think the Sat Nav is worth it - although totally understand the counter argument's around cost and why some wouldn't buy the built in Sat Nav. On the whole it's fast enough - the only time it's frustrating (on my car at least) is when I change route (go a different direction to the planned one) with the Google Maps view present, it can take a while to refresh the main screen. Worst case switch to the normal Sat Nav view then it's fine.

There are some very good discounts on new ones - to the point that going used up to about a year old doesn't make much sense, IMHO.

The one that beemerboy has linked too looks good. As you realise I don't think that diesel is appropriate for your needs so I'd stick with Petrol. Depending on age of vehicle be aware that some 2.0TFSi's had a bit of drink problem with regards to oil consumption. I think these are the 211PS variants up to about 2011 (I think).

Happy hunting!

This is the 180bhp version though that Beemerboy shared a link to isn't it and not the 211bhp? Need to make the right choice, taking me ages to find one that has everything I like ha.

This is the 180bhp version though that Beemerboy shared a link to isn't it and not the 211bhp? Need to make the right choice, taking me ages to find one that has everything I like ha.
Yes, I think so (although confusingly Audi are quoting the imperial HP as the metric PS value...) I was just mentioning it in case you didn't go ahead with the one linked to. :)

Yes, I think so (although confusingly Audi are quoting the imperial HP as the metric PS value...) I was just mentioning it in case you didn't go ahead with the one linked to. :)

Is there much difference between the 180bhp/211bhp???

Thanks for all of your time by the way.

About 31 hp... ;) :p

I'll be honest, I don't know how much different that feels in practice. Best bet is to test drive it and see if you are happy with it.

Reactions: A5 Fizzy
About 31 hp... ;) :p

I'll be honest, I don't know how much different that feels in practice. Best bet is to test drive it and see if you are happy with it.

Can see you're good at maths lol. I knew the 31bhp, I just meant the overall ride or added extras etc. :D

Sorry - couldn't resist.

I think, broadly speaking, equipment is determined more by which trim level (Sport, SE, S-Line, Black Edition etc) than the engine size. So as you get to S-Line you get different suspension for example. There are occasionally differences like on the Sportback (not sure about coupe) only V6 engines came with tri-zone climate as standard, although I think that has now changed since it was first launched.

There may be other differences - sure someone else will be able to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Have you got a pic of your A5 buddy???

Here is a link to an ice silver one

The Derby car has the fancier of the two climate control systems. Black Edition is the top trim spec regardless of engine size (apart from the S5).

According to a road test the car will do 0-60mph in 7.2 seconds which is quite rapid and averaged 35.3 mpg including the performance testing.

Obviously if one is a company car driver placing an order for new car with a budget from the fleet manager, one can go for the best spec and hold back a little on the engine (like the Derby car) or go for a huge engine and keep a base trim level (for example a 3.0 TDi quattro in SE trim with small 17" wheels, standard sound, no SatNav etc.). Needless to say most people on this speed-limited island, want to enjoy the trim.

Last edited: