New light cluster required?

skiptowncat

Just noticed 4 bulbs out on the passenger side inner light cluster. Searching round the Internet and it looks like they can't be replaced...what a rip!!

Slackworth

Are you talking about LED rears? The OHs driver side outer on her A6 Avant is only semi working now but unless you're a PCB soldering god I couldn't find a resolution :(

r15wne

if you have the soldering skills led are replaceable..
if your saying 5 out then i think its more to do with which component controls these leds,
as led have a long life span you can have 1 fail but having 5 failed i don't think its the led..
picture would be good..

skiptowncat

Here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 99

r15wne

sorry i thought you was talking about instrument cluster..
my friends bmw had same problem on one rear light , it was dry solder joints..

Slackworth

I tried on the A6 and the PCB is within a glued section of the unit accessed from the exterior side rather than the rear. A4 may be different though.

Tay

VCDS Map User
I had the same thing and had to replace the full unit, thankfully it was under warranty. Seen a few other A4s around my way with a similar problem, seems to be quite a common fault

GeoffDunk

StuBill

Supercharged Mofo
Quite often it is the boot closing action that kills the LED's or the solder joints of the LED's. Big problem on the TT centre brake light.
Would be easily repairable (with some LED's and a soldering iron) but as mentioned, annoyingly, they are usually sealed units.

Incidentally, I am aware that some owners have had a positive result in getting TT centre brake lights replaced under goodwill outside of warranty, so may be worth having a conversation with a dealer or two. If it is a sealed unit, it is not like they can realistically class it the same as a serviceable bulb....although many will try !

Last edited: