New Key

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For some reason the search function says there are no matches for 'key', maybe the word is too short. :shrug:

Anyway.. I've just picked up my '07 A3 and it's only got one key.
Can someone clarify what my options are please. If possible I'd like to avoid going to the dealer because I imagine it'll be a small fortune.
With my old mk4 Golf, I was able to buy the keys including the blade part new and blank from a private company (I can't find them now) and then just get them cut and coded. Is this the same with the newer Audi keys, or have they found a way to keep us going back to the dealer.
Is buying a used key and a new blank blade an option?

I'm just waiting on an email from Nigel and then hopefully I will have VCDS, so if coding is possible then I should be able to do that bit myself.

Thanks,
Dan

Does anyone just supply the keys without programming as I don't need someone to do the coding really?

You wont be able to code the keys to the immobiliser using VCDS. You will need to get that done either at dealers or an independent company like Hazzydayz.
Another thing you might want to do... as you only have one key the other key would be floating around somewhere... just a thought to get the dealers to change your key coding over as that will stop the second key from starting the car.

Same price at audi tbh, check my threads as I did a writeup on new style keys, which are the same ones your car has as default, dont mess with indys when comes to car security, use your dealer for obvious reasons in this day & age.

(emails on route in 30 minutes)

If you actually manage to find a proper auto locksmith in your area that does coded keys then there is a good chance that he would be the guy that did the keys for the main dealership only the dealership will add a good chunk onto his flat rate. I know a guy that offers this service in the Glasgow area and he has contracts with nearly every dealership in Scotland.

I used his service once and he cut a new key using the code for the key (was a 6 digit code included in the handbook for the car). He then recoded the new and old key along with the car so any old keys would only open the door but not start the engine. He did not use the normal diagnostic computer for this but did plug into the OBD port (car was a Honda). The alarm/unlock fobs were coded using a weird combination of key turns and button presses.

For convenience I would just go to the dealer but be prepared to pay anything from £100 to £200. Or since you are not in a desperate situation such as lost keys then you could probably try asking around to see if anyone in your area knows someone that offers the service. I got the number for the guy I used through a mechanic friend who had used the service for customers cars.

If you actually manage to find a proper auto locksmith in your area that does coded keys then there is a good chance that he would be the guy that did the keys for the main dealership only the dealership will add a good chunk onto his flat rate. I know a guy that offers this service in the Glasgow area and he has contracts with nearly every dealership in Scotland.

I doubt that very much for most vag dealerships, I can assure anyone, if his contract includes vag brands, vag uk/germany would quite definitely tell that dealer no keys are to be coded externally under the banner of the dealership/brand, they would risk losing there franchise, as audi put strict security measures into place with documentation to be provided down to your pant size, along with online systems used for the processes, been down this road before.

I would never use an indy for this, keys can be copied in minutes, even seconds tbh, with all the vag cars being nicked these days, its to risky no matter how well you know them.

But as with everything, you're free to make your own choices, but for £150 or so, I'd rather have peace of mind with my car :)

I think a trip to Audi is on the cards then. I like the idea of getting the old key re-coded so that the missing one won't start the car. The only owner before me was Audi themselves, so I was surprised to only get one key. I guess the other must be floating around in amongst the thousands of other car keys they have in their fleet.

You should have asked them to copy you a new one when you bought it or used it to knock the price of the motor down. . . .you definaltly would have got one or the other