New job.... More miles on my S3

_Zerocool_

Reaction score
Ok so I've been posted to a different area at work. Its 30 miles away! Very frustrating when I can do exactly the same job based 6 miles from my house!!

So for me that will work out that I am putting 1080 miles a month on the S3 just getting to and from work.

Is that more than normal?

I was thinking of getting a cheap run around but that will cost to buy tax and insure.
(I couldn't believe it, it only costs £60 more to insure me on the s3 fully comp from insuring a 1.4 diesel 3rd party!! Madness)

Another option is my dad has offered to lend me his series 2 landrover..... but its not the most economical lol!
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q785/timlever2500/IMG-20140314-WA0008_zpsnqv8wzok.jpg
IMG-20140314-WA0008_zpsnqv8wzok.jpg

Or should I just put miles on the S3 as I bought it to drive it and that means putting the miles on

Its 2010 and has 56k on it now and had 33k on it when I got it 2 years ago. I want to keep it long term.

What do we think?

Last edited:
hmm, u have done 23k in two years, that's a lot already, so wot u will be looking at around 10-12k just for work + ur usual 10-12k hmmm that's around 20k a year (u still drive S3 really???) that's a lot of miles to put on a S3 bud...

I've been working 23 miles from home for the last two years so it won't be 10-12k for work plus another 10-12k but still not ideal

...as long as u own a good chunk of shell u'll be golden + the value of ur S3 will drop of the cliff at one point :ninja:
...i would be looking into diesel's bud...only reason why i got S3 is cos i only do about 5-7k a year...

I drive a jcb so I had myself a little 1.3 diesel corsa cost nothing to run and maintain basically I sold it tho cause I get picked up for work now personally I would try a cheap little petrol car if u plan on keeping the s3 for a while keep Millage down and it will make you appreciate the s3 a lot more jumping from a run around into s3 :p but it all depends if you can affrod to run 2 cars like u say tax, insurance, mot etc can be a bit of a cost.. What's about public transport ? Could that be an alternative ? I know guys that use bus to go to work as they live in city

I would use public transport but I work shifts and there aren't buses and trains running in the middle of the night.

A car is made to be driven.. Not left in a shed gathering dust and come out every now and then.

Drive it and enjoy it

Reactions: chrisyegan, hentotheree, Darren92 and 6 others
Drive the FU11 CKR lol...I'd sooner buy a well maintained car that's been driven that one sat around in a shed ...

Reactions: Charlie23
My work commute is changing from 4 miles (which I bike) a day to 52 miles a day. I'm going to see how it goes I'm hoping i'll get nearly two weeks out of a tank. I'll be stuck at 40mph so it's doable but like you I'm not keen to put loads of miles on it.

My two options are trade it in and buy an A5 3.0TDI as these when mapped etc are fast and still achieve 47mpg combined. Or keep the S3 and get a Mk5 Golf Diesel.... I do already have a 306HDI Stage 2 mapped and that gets 700 miles out of a tank.

1000 miles a month if driving easy will probably be about £200-250 a month on fuel.

I feel for you mate. Hard decision to be faced with. If it was me I would try it first and just see how you go, then assess the situation again after a month or so.

I drive mine a minimum of 30 miles a day monday-friday then weekends wherever I'm going. It was high millage when i bought it but that didn't bother me. As long as a car has been maintained these modern engines will last 200k +. All cars drop in value granted millage effects this but for an enthusiast like myself any many others i feel that a well maintained car would still fetch a pretty penny over one that has low miles with minimum service history or maintenance billing. Id personally stick with it if you can afford the running costs with the additional millage.

I drive a 50 mile round trip for work and around 15k a year. I would be kicking myself if I never drove it with all the stuff I've done to it ! :)

Reactions: Forbzeeee
Drive the S3. I've been racking up around 20k miles per year (mostly at Revo stage 1) as I use my car for work. I wouldn't want it any other way. If you had an R8 or something i'd say get another car for work but the S3 is the perfect all rounder.

Reactions: Alex_Wil
Thanks for the replies guys. Makes me feel a bit better (mostly)

I suppose its better for the car to be driven distances of 30 miles as opposed to 6 as the engine is being warmed up properly.

I did buy it to drive it.

I service it regularly and its well (the mrs says too well) looked after. Posh oil, only ever V power, polished and waxed etc... Full OCD service history filed chronologically etc...

The roads aren't too bad either I guess.

Mine is also stage 1 Revo.

I thought about getting a little runner like a 1.5d clio but whats the point in having the S3 and driving something else. My mum offered to swap her TDI TT short term but again whats the point in having the S3 if someone else drives it (and she'd put her little dog in it!!)

I can afford the fuel its just the miles mounting up on it that worries me. More miles means more fuel and more servicing its using up its life span quicker and it'll be worth less when I do sell it and I want another S3 after this one!
I love them :wub:

Drive it any enjoy it mate. People worry far too much about the next owner and forget to enjoy their car when they have it.

Reactions: hentotheree, _Zerocool_ and Alex_Wil
You buy a car to drive it, not worry about the miles going on it, so I would drive it and appreciate it.I can't see the point of buying a second car to drive it costs you more to buy, tax, insure and your running costs and both your cars will depreciate anyway

I use mine for work and do at least 26 miles a day depending on where I'm working, mine currently has 86k on it

Reactions: COSTA_P and Alex_Wil
I average around 14-16k per year and I wouldn't have it any other way

Reactions: Alex_Wil