New intake ... With some growing pains...

Gryphon001

Reaction score
So I just installed a Neuspeed P-Flo intake... And seem to have lost a significant amount of power.

94c6cb20.jpg

There is no heatshield because I have not been able to get the damn cover mounts off to attach it... As a result I had to settle for this instead...

8f1cf928.jpg

Seems to work for keeping the pipe cool... But didnt solve the issue.

The car is stage II+ & dynoed 230Whp last summer, before the intake. Basically the problem is that I now get a sound like the forge blow off valve, except I don't actually have one. And the car feels like it has no boost. No CEL though...

Here is a quick crappy vid of all out flooring it... Can't even get the ESP light on.

[video]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll181/d_gryphon001/bdf3f93a.mp4[/video]

Any help would be appreciated...

Hi have you checked car using vagcom for any faults , also check the maf...

Haven't checked anything because I can't get my hands on a vag-com till monday... All I can say for sure is that there is no CEL. The MAF worked fine till now and I removed them directly from the old to the new intake.

Have you got the MAF in the correct way round? Can make quite a difference!!

I believe so... The clip goes on the same way

Check your DV as well and make sure you're running the latest revision.

Got the latest revision installed last summer... But my original one was blown an there was no CEL than either. I have to wait till Monday to actually check.

The MAF can go in either way round as the clip will go either way but it's important to get it the right way round.

Make sure oyu've re-fitted the MAF correctly and not damaged any of the connections. Without running the heathshield there's a massive amount of heat going straight up from the turbo directly beneath the intake, so its absolutely vital. Also what software are you running? If its not mapped for a CAI it will run ****.

It's APR stage II+... It's mapped for 3" downpipe, upgraded HPFP and CAI... Will double check the MAF today. That should have given me a CEL though. The heatshield and scan have to wait till tomorrow. I still can't get those stupid pegs off... Totaly stuck.

MAF being fitted the wrong way round won't trigger a fault code.

It's fitted right... The clip faces up like it did in the oem cover and the inlet faces the direction the air is traveling...

Last edited:
Hi mate take the car out for a spin remember hows its feels, pull over , unplug maf take the car for a spin if it feels the same ,maf's gone or if you have a mate that could lend you his working maf to see if your cars pulls to red line....:)Also make sure the cai is nice and tight on the turbo ...

Hmm... Did like you said... If anything, it drove better with the MAF unplugged. Not by much though, nearly no difference in how the car feels.

Ill double check tomorrow, but seems like I found the culprit. Thanks for all your help guys.

I would suggest that he MAF is f00ked then if there not difference with and without it plugged in.

Well that was interesting... Scanned the car and found an intermittent fault code from the MAF... Cleared the code and the car ran fine... An hour later the car lost boost again. Used APR software to clear code and the car is back to normal again.

Going to see how long it lasts. Hoping I don't have to replace the MAF.... Fingers crossed :p

Hi mate i had very similar problem , i got a new maf and it solved the problem , theres one on ebay used for about £45 , or a new one for £105... Not sure how much they are from audi.:)

ECS tuning is selling them for $159US... So Audi will be almost $200.

I just cleaned it again a bit more thoroughly. Hopefully it will sort it out...

Hi mate cool hope this sorts it , what maf cleaner you using?

Looks like I was right! Nice simple fix and could have been a whole heap worse. Glad it's almost fixed!!

Well, the problem comes back sporadically, at least twice a day. The fault erase feature on the APR flash comes in handy because as soon as I wipe the faut, the car runs normal. Seems to be happening a bit less frequently than initially. Will see about maybe wiping down the filter a bit to get any excess oil out too.

Thanks again for all the help.