NEW INSTALL!!

• Thread starter imported_AudiAuto
  • Start date
Yeah I think this is gonna turn into a long one, pity about my lack of knowledge.

For you, JDP 1962:

QUOTE:
Does your a-z of car audio include colouration?
I may know very little about the technical aspects of an installation, but I know a bit about acoustics. The object of hi-fi, whether in a house or a car is the natural reproduction of recorded sound. Now bear in mind that the "fi" in "hi-fi" is an abbreviation of "fidelity", and "fidelity" means "faithfulness", the aim is for the reproduction to be as faithful to the original recording as possible.
Pimp - thats really interesting mate, I always wanted to know that. Sorry the post is so late, started it ages ago, but I fell asleep at this point. Colouration is defined as a shift away from the natural rendition of music, and is usually evidenced by splashy treble, nasal midrange and slow, boomy bass signals. The boomy bass is the worst of these because it invades and overwhelms every other signal in the sound-stage.

So Alpine, Phoenix Gold, Rockford, Kenwood, Fusion, MB Quart etc etc must all be wrong then? When they put 5x 1000w subs in their demo cars (granted this is mainly to advertise their products, but it still sounds good), are they wrong because it actually 'colours' the music? I Don't think so, they wouldn't be doing £20,000 installs to impress people and then ruin it by putting in thumping subs which, according to you, only ends up 'overwhelming' the other frequency ranges. Also, I think their highly knowledgable technical staff who do the installs would know about their acoustics, and I have never found a single one who has advised me not to have a 'booming' sub becuase of colouration.

QUOTE:
Colouration is defined as a shift away from the natural rendition of music, and is usually evidenced by splashy treble, nasal midrange and slow, boomy bass signals.

I don't think a set of £400 component front speakers powered by a £300 amp is gonna give me 'splashy treble' and 'nasal midrange'. I know cost doesn't always mean quality, but in this case it does.

QUOTE:
The boomy bass is the worst of these because it invades and overwhelms every other signal in the sound-stage.

Fair enough, if I had two 1000w subs, together with some puny 15w RMS speakers that are running off the HU, then the bass probably WOULD overwhelm the treble/midrange. But I don't have some cheap £50 speakers running off the HU. My amp supplies my speakers with about 65w RMS, and being competition spec I don't think they are gonna be overwhelmed even by 3 subs.

QUOTE:
Now bear in mind that the "fi" in "hi-fi" is an abbreviation of "fidelity", and "fidelity" means "faithfulness", the aim is for the reproduction to be as faithful to the original recording as possible.

What sort of music you listen to? I listen to R&B/HipHop/Garage. This music is actually MADE and recorded with a VERY heavy and deep bass line. So it would actually NOT be faithful to the original recording if I listened to it WITHOUT the booming subs, as it would not reproduce the music how it was intended when it was recorded (i.e with massive bass sounds). So with the subs my music is being reproduced more faithfully, and more realistically (in relation to how it was meant to sound when it was recorded) then it would do if i didn't use the 'booming' subs.

QUOTE:
So, when you start boasting about an "awesome" bass that causes the interior mirror to fall off, it is self-evident that your installation is nothing about hi-fi or music, but all about a macho numbers game to see who makes the loudest noise.

When I start 'boasting' about 'awesome bass', i am not actually boasting. Its like many people on here that say their car is 'awesome now it's chipped' or 'it looks really good now' etc. That doesn't mean they are boasting and showing off.

Secondly, I have never measured my bass, and have never been involved in any sort of bass/sound competitions or 'sound offs', and never will, simply becuase i'm not interested. So it's not any sort of a silly numbers game for me. As long as it sounds good, and is loud enough for me (and yes I do like booming bass), then I really don't give a [censored] if someone elses install is putting out a few db's more then mine.

Also, is Fishing just a macho numbers game to see who gets the biggest fish? Is Football just a macho numbers game to see who scores the most goals? Is the Olympics just a macho numbers game to see who can do it the quickest/highest/longest/whatever? Well yes they all are, and they are all very popular. A lot of people compete in at least something, even if its not sport. It can all be described as just a 'macho numbers game', but just becuase your not into it, don't knock it. Some people enjoy competing in sound competitions, and sound off's. But my bass doesn't have anything to do with numbers, it's just that I happen to like thumping bass, and the sort of music I listen to is made to be heard like that.

QUOTE:
But I do know that when I'm seeking advice on a modest upgrade to my front speakers, I'll ask Andymac, No Slo Jo, or Excursion first.

Ask Mickey Mouse for all I care.

QUOTE:
For one thing, they can spell and punctuate English sentences properly, so chances are I will comprehend what they are saying.

Well, get with the times mate, it's called 'slang'. This is a web forum, not an A Level English essay, so comments on grammar aren't really relevant, as long as the point is understood. You obviously DID comprehend and understand what I was saying, otherwise you wouldn't have commented about anything in the first place.

Also I didn't see you take the [censored] over anyone else's spelling/punctuation, I see the guy above you (No Slo Joe) didn't write a single word in capitals. Isn't that bad English?

Anyway, due to your apparent lack of understanding of modern slang words, I have written this post with 'proper English', spelling and punctuation. I hope you understand it OK.

And finally,
QUOTE:
"But of course, that's just my opinion. so I could be wrong. If I am, lots of people will rush to tell me, but I'm big enough and old enough to take it."

You forgot to write the 'so' in 'so i could be wrong....' in capitals, seeing as it is the start of a new sentence.
Look forward to a correctly punctuated reply.

he may have incorrectly or have incorrect punctuation but calm down a bit, no need to get vicious, we are all on this forum for one reason we like (LOVE) Audis so dont forget that, if he wants to spend £2000etc... on his install then let him. i would personally rather spend £2000 on getting my next car.

It has got to be said though this has been the best forum ive read for a long time because it has not mentioned the word dump valve!!!!!! im getting bored with hearing that word.

i dont pretend to know what im doing with ICE but i like to think that i know enough to set up a decent install.
in my own world 12" sub and 600W amp is perfect, no need for more and IN MY opinion it sounds almost as good as the installs in the £2000 setups.

Anyway great thread now you can start ripping into pimp again but try not to be personal.....

yeah thats true foolish, no doubt. I had one sub first, with one amp. It is actually about 400w RMS (1000w is peak). It sounded great, i just got another one simply for even more bass. But the quality itself will be just as good. Anyway, i didn't spend £2000 in one go, i wouldn't be able to do that. We are talking about £2500 over a period of almost 3 years.

perhaps you should try one of the forums dedicated to caraudio. It seems that most of the people that have responded have only given you grief as to what you intend to run. It may well be wrong, but its your decision. I do however suggest as above that you find some decent forums for car audio (and i dont mean to say this isnt ) and then do your research on there.

I havent been in the game long, but when i started i didnt have a clue. I now run what i call a high sq system and it was all down to what i learnt from just reading and posting questions.

Good Luck Anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif