New idle problems

wilky423

Reaction score
Hi all,
Trying to iron out some recent niggles starting to happen.
Not sure if they are all related & trying not to go to the garage without an idea of what they might be (i.e. trying to save a bit of investigation).

A4 Saloon FSI 2.0 petrol 2004 130k miles on the clock. Fair condition.

About a month ago I noted that the internal gauge for the engine temp was taking a while (about 15mins) before getting upto 90), once there it holds.
Internal cabin temp, again takes a while, but once upto a decent temp, it stays there even if I run it to LO temp.

Idle has always been a little rough when stationary, however about 2 weeks ago, EML came on whilst driving home (1 mile) each way to/from work & felt like I was driving in the wrong gear.

Since then, ignition on car shakes badly, until I get over about 1800 rpm then not noticeable.
White smoke whilst idle, more than usual, using more fuel than usual.

For the MOT I had about £1k's worth of suspension stuff done so I don't really want to part with it just yet.

As with many people at the moment money is tight, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it.

Cheers
Steve.

sorry can't offer much advise but if you don't already have one, maybe grab a cheap Bluetooth code reader/scanner off ebay & see what faults it brings up? at least you'll have something to go on.

Reactions: wilky423
Had a friend cast a quick eye over it & he seems to think it’s the lower engine mounts need replacement. Anyone have rough ideas of costa involved?

also going to have Halfords do a diagnostic check (£49) for me. Anyone had one done & is it worth it ?

Changed mind on halfords & bought a cheap reader, straight away it came up with P0304 (misfire). Considering the mounts anyway if they need doing.

One side of the mounts is electronic, disconnect it and see if makes a difference, i had same problem and mines been disconnected for months now, runs absolutely fine, pair of mounts are circa £300.

One side of the mounts is electronic, disconnect it and see if makes a difference, i had same problem and mines been disconnected for months now, runs absolutely fine, pair of mounts are circa £300.

My A4 has the electronic mount too, it's always had the error for that.. not noticed any rough idling though. But guess it could cause more movement that it should maybe