Facelift New headlights, erm, why ?

Jcbmally

Started with nothing & still have most of it left.
Reaction score
Small world problems and all that but is it just me or is the shape of the facelift A4 headlights a bit well, fugly compared to the previous shape.

Old
Upload 2020 11 12 16 20 27

New
Upload 2020 11 12 16 21 33

Reactions: A4Ultra
In my view the new one looks far cleaner , there will no doubt also be some improvements in beam pattern and configuration

They won't have just changed the shap it will go further than that

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally
Yeah I also preferred the B9 headlights rather than the B9.5 ones. However I think the rear lights on the B9.5 look better than B9 ones, the B9.5 ones look almost A6-esque :)

Reactions: A4Ultra, harvey.nott and Jcbmally
In my view the new one looks far cleaner , there will no doubt also be some improvements in beam pattern and configuration

on my new S5 , it has the laser light option which I presume is also available on the S4.. so the gubbins are different ,,

Reactions: harvey.nott and Jcbmally

I get that but for me they just remind me of Korean cars (not a real bad thing TBF).
IMO the previous ones looked a bit more aggressive.

Reactions: harvey.nott
I get that but for me they just remind me of Korean cars (not a real bad thing TBF).
IMO the previous ones looked a bit more aggressive.
In my opinion the new ones look better .

In my opinion the aggressive look is very much a trait of the Asian manufacturers and it always shouts I am trying too hard.

The Europeans know how to smooth things , round them off and look classy.

Again just my opinion

I think they look much better.

I think the point is that they’re different. ‘New’ keeps the market interested and there will always be an element that will want the newest and latest innovations. When a particular model’s competitors undergo a re-design or refresh, the market looks to see how that model will respond. If there is no response, interest in the model will decline. Just my view (as a non-marketing man)

Even the new 4 series will look right eventually .........

Or maybe not

I was against the looks of the new Aston Vantage due to its more angular looks , now it looks right

Reactions: SiPie and Jcbmally
Why the world is a wonderful place, it would be so boring if we all liked the same.

Reactions: harvey.nott
the only thing I don't like about them (on new S5) is they do the silly knightrider Kit car thing of individual LED sweeping left to right to left again when you unlock. A bit tacky maybe. (I'm showing my age). As to how good they are, I just had the laser lights active on full beam once in last couple of days and its quite impressive... worth ticking the box, from safety perspective its awesome. Though the matrix LED on their own on S4 B9 were utterly awesome.

Even the new 4 series will look right eventually .........

Or maybe not

I was against the looks of the new Aston Vantage due to its more angular looks , now it looks right

have you seen the new ix ? now there is a pig ugly car (SUV). I'd argue anyone who buys an ix (when you could have Etron for same £) should be condemned to watching TOWIE daily for the rest of their life. What were BMW thinking off... I'm sure a few will like it. Everyone else will just think '****'.

Also worth remembering that Matrix headlights on the B9.5 now only come with the Vorsprung trim. Whereas on the B9, they could be specc'd with the S Line and above trims. Such a shame that most won't get to experience Matrix headlights on the B9.5, because they are amazing.

Reactions: Richard Neale
I found myself a special edition launch S5 B9.5 model that is not listed as the Vorpsurng but is basically Vorsprung + several other options (not that there were many left as Vorsrpung has most already). Has all the Assistance Tour / Sport Diff / Adaptive dampers / HUD / Matrix.+ Laser etc and so on... now its sat for a month hardly moving....

Also worth remembering that Matrix headlights on the B9.5 now only come with the Vorsprung trim. Whereas on the B9, they could be specc'd with the S Line and above trims. Such a shame that most won't get to experience Matrix headlights on the B9.5, because they are amazing.

Not correct, I have Matrix LED headlights on my B9.5 A5 Sportback S-Line as standard.

You are referring to the Laser Light Matrix LEDs which are available as standard on the Vorsprung.

Not correct, I have Matrix LED headlights on my B9.5 A5 Sportback S-Line as standard.

You are referring to the Laser Light Matrix LEDs which are available as standard on the Vorsprung.
This thread is in the A4 forum - and psy is correct that the A4 doesn’t have the option on S Line or BE anymore.

Matrix was an option when I ordered my 9.5 ? 2020 car or at least thought it was.

Matrix was an option when I ordered my 9.5 ? 2020 car or at least thought it was.

Since the facelift on the A4 in the UK, Matrix is only available on top spec Vorsprung trim - not S Line or BE trims as previously.

As HMG said, they are still available more widely on the A5 models.

I didn't select them as just speed comfort and sound .
Our lease options list could have been wrong as that's not unusual with Arval

IMHO, the B9.5 headlights...and for that matter, the tail lights...are a step up on the B9 iterations. As an RS4 Vorsprung pilot, I’m really impressed with the stunning clarity of the Matrix tech.

The dancing LEDs front and rear might not be to everyone’s taste, but I love ‘em. And that’s all that matters.

I like Marmite on my buttered toast, too.

Small world problems and all that but is it just me or is the shape of the facelift A4 headlights a bit well, fugly compared to the previous shape.

Old
View attachment 212090

New
View attachment 212091
I totally agree. The 'old' model looks so much more sleek and aggressive (but just the right amount). If I saw that old model on the top lane of the motorway in my rear view mirror I would move over no questions asked.
The facelift though, if I saw that in my rear view mirror on the motorway, I really wouldn't be intimidated. Doesn't stand out. Just looks like a standard brand car with those lights tbh.

It's not a bad design but I think they have completely messed up the front end. The new lights combined with the panel gap for the bonnet and the weird air intakes (for the camera sensor I believe), it just looks horrible to be honest. Almost as if someone listed what they wanted on a car on paper and didn't actually view the final product in person. Doesn't go together

The rear end looks quite nice. A bit too grown up though. A4 is a middle ground car and it seems like an A8/A6 from the back now. Nice design but I just don't think it suits.

Personal opinion. Won't be looking to switch anytime soon. Would consider changing to a Benz (as BMW messed up their new grille too!) rather than this if it came down to it.

Errrrmmm I was referring to the A4 B9....which is what this forum is about. Nothing to do with the A5.

Reactions: Jcbmally and tickedon
I've recently bought an a4 avant and love the new lights. There were lots of older models around but I made sure that I got the new lights. We are all different I suppose

I've recently bought an a4 avant and love the new lights. There were lots of older models around but I made sure that I got the new lights. We are all different I suppose
Which model/trim for the Avant did you go for?

It seems like Audi are designing larger headlights in their are cars these days which to my eyes gives the front a much softer appearance ie less aggressive here is a example TT,A3/RS3,S4 also may l add laser lights have been proven/tested alongside standard Matrix headlights and didn't offer much if any improvements over the standard led Matrix lights
7d9be4decf8a2df0e6713f1160231def.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally and A4Ultra
Which model/trim for the Avant did you go for?

I didn't want to go over the £40k new as I only drove 2k miles in the last year and only insure for 6k miles anyway
It's a tdi s line avant 4 months old in glacier white.
I downsized in September from a c43 to a bmw x2 but have gone back to an estate. The x2 was quite basic, cloth seats, no power mirrors, no rev camera.

Reactions: tickedon
I didn't want to go over the £40k new as I only drove 2k miles in the last year and only insure for 6k miles anyway
It's a tdi s line avant 4 months old in glacier white.
I downsized in September from a c43 to a bmw x2 but have gone back to an estate. The x2 was quite basic, cloth seats, no power mirrors, no rev camera.
Yes, the £40k "luxury car tax" rate is really annoying.

Hope you enjoy the new car :)

Reactions: SaraS3
Thanks I'm enjoying it so far. It's into the dealer on Wednesday for the UTR fitting that I had fitted in my s3 and only used for a few hundred miles. They are fitting it for free due to their s line car coming with film and not privacy glass as it should have. They didn't tell me it hadn't come with the factory privacy and when I told them that it was film, they offered to fit the UTR so I wouldn't reject it. They were aware that had had rejected a car 2 days before
The salesman was complaining that they say it's going to take 5 hours to fit. I'm sure guys on here have fitted them in less time. I think he was trying to make me feel grateful or awkward