New guy needs help and advice before purchase please?

boddhi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I'm going to be purchasing an A4 in the next few weeks, once I have sold my Volvo V40 but I am a little undecided as to which engine would be best for me.

I can afford up to about £2500 and think I will be able to purchase a nice, but high mileage 98/99 for that money. What are your thoughts regarding the 1.8T versus the 2.4 V6? I know that the 1.8T is more upgradeable but I'm thinking that the 2.4 V6 chucks out 193? ish bhp so should be enough for me?

Also, in your honest opinions, do you think I will be able to find a decent car for £2500 or should I just wait until I have a lot more to spend? Obviously I don't want to be shelling out on lots of repairs soon after buying it!

Any help or advice would be great. I'm new to Audi's so to hear from people who know what they're talking about would be great.

Thanks
Boddhi

hi there the the 2.4 v6 pushes out about 170bhp, its the 2.8 v6 that runs 193bhp

but there 2 1.8t model 150bhp or the quattro sport model which is about 180bhp

hope this helps

Thanks.

I meant the 2.8 to be honest. Would I be right in thinking that with the 2.8 the chances of engine problems would be less as there is no turbo to go wrong or are the turbos so reliable it's not really an issue?

I am beginning to think that 193 bhp would easily be enough for me but maybe because the turbo frightens me a bit! Cost wise that is.

for the money you will save in fuel driving a 1.8t you could get it remapped to 200+
and the turbos are cheap and easy to replace. trying paying for a V6 engine out job for anything relating to the engine bay

i cant see the 2.8 being good on fuel at all, and the 20vt wont be far behind on performance

id get the 20vt. ought to be miles easier to work on too

You've also got to consider that if you're looking at a 98/99 car, chances are you may need to fork out for some 'wear and tear' items to be replaced. Although other than the cambelt, the prices for either the 1.8T or 2.8 V6 should be the same, ie: suspension arms, wheel bearings, ABS sensors, etc.

Thanks guys. You've answered a questions thats been bothering me for a couple of weeks. I'm going to go for the 1.8T. Best get looking now. There's a few around on pistonheads, autotrader and the dreaded Ebay. For the mobey I have they all seem to be 100,000 to 130,000 but I know the build quality is fab and as long as they have a service history, I should be Ok - I hope!

100k-130k is nothing for an audi with a 20vt, absolutely promise you that... provided its been looked after

i have friends with a fair number of mods and theyre well past 150k... not a patch on my gti and 215k though

That's great. I was worried about the mileage I must admit. I've looked at a couple so far and what never ceases to amaze me is the fabulous build quality. Ecerything feels so solid and the A4 has something about it that I can't quite explain - it just seems to ooze brilliant workmanship and design. It's a little like my Volvo to be honest - solid and built ****** well.
I've been a Japanese car freak for ten years before the volvo, but I'm so looking forward to getting my Audi. None down my way at the moment (Devon) so will have to travel. I can't wait.

Thanks for all the answers. When I have the car I'll be back to show it off!

Ours has done 192k.

It could have done with an oil pump 20-30k ago, but ive been ignoring it and its still going strong. Will probably be changing it out for another motor in the next month or so though as i decided spending money on that one probably wasnt the best idea.

124k on my 1.8T. I drive with an enthusiastic style and the car get runted around race tracks. Only issues I've had have been service things bar a aux belt tensioner that packed up.

That's great. I was worried about the mileage I must admit. I've looked at a couple so far and what never ceases to amaze me is the fabulous build quality. Ecerything feels so solid and the A4 has something about it that I can't quite explain - it just seems to ooze brilliant workmanship and design. It's a little like my Volvo to be honest - solid and built ****** well.
I've been a Japanese car freak for ten years before the volvo, but I'm so looking forward to getting my Audi. None down my way at the moment (Devon) so will have to travel. I can't wait.

Thanks for all the answers. When I have the car I'll be back to show it off!

one here on ebay looks clean been sorn for a year so brakes etc will need to be looked at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290373650086&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
i have no connection with the seller, in scotland though

Not sure if this will help, but I have the 2.4. It goes well, has done 131,500 miles now (122000 when I purchased it for £1625 back in Jan) 2000 W (facelift). The only thing, appart from servicing, that has gone wrong was the engine temperature sensor. The thing that worries me is that on a 'slow' motorway run (70mph), I can get 30mpg out of her, but on a nice run (85-???mph), it drops to 26-27mpg, then around town, I usually get 18.5-22mpg. Apparently I do have a brick of a right foot.
So fuel consumption (if that is an issue), I don't find great.
I have been considering a 1.8T for next year, but they all seem to be £500-600 more than the V6's for a nice one.

Sorry if this is no use, but thought it may interest you. lol! hopeyou find the right car for you!!! :thumbsup:

ive got 150,000 on my 2.8 qs , ive had it 4 years ad the only things that ive had to spend money on apart from normal wear and tear like brake pads etc, is the expansion bottle cracked and i broke a front spring.

although it has eaten alot of cash on the stuff ive doen to it lol, and the fuel im getting an average of 19mpg......but i do have a heavy foot lol

Ras - Yes, I saw that one. It does look nice.

Sam. Thanks for that. I have definetely decided to go for the 1.8TQS the only problem is that aren't many about for under 3 grand. I've checked Autotrader, Ebay, Here, and Pistonheads. The one pointed out by RasA4 does look nice though. Shame I'm a million miles away drom there. I refuse to buy from Ebay now unless I see the car first and take it on a run. Been ripped off before and it's put me off.

Hell yeah, shame its too far, bargain if it doesnt need much work on it.

Will probably be changing it out for another motor in the next month or so though as i decided spending money on that one probably wasnt the best idea.

dropping a V8 into it then!?

Thanks Nick but as I said, I have my heart set on the 1.8TQS now. Good luck with the sale though - I bet it wont hang around long.

Get a 2.8 and whack a PES charger on there!!!!!......****** to what your heart says, use your head big lad......

Only kiddin mate, good luck with the purchase.

jcb: nah just another turbo unfortunately. Its the missus' daily driver and only a FWD. If i was doing a V8 i'd want a quattro and it'd really have to be a second car, its nice to have sensible fuel economy from the daily.

one here on ebay looks clean been sorn for a year so brakes etc will need to be looked at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290373650086&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
i have no connection with the seller, in scotland though

I've had a text conversation with the guy. I asked if it needed much work doing at it had been standing about and he said no because he runs it around every so often. I also asked I could pay a deposit and the rest at the end of dec (hopefully sold my car by then) but he said he's got a guy coming round on Sat who wants it and three others who will have it if he doesn't. I didn't think it would hang around long.

There aren't many 1.8TQS models around in my budget! Will have to keep looking and checking regularly.