New gearbox?

Quattro-matty

Reaction score
Hi all some of you's might of seen the project I'm on doing on an a4 avant 1.9tdi. My question is, is that the car has a 5 speed manual gearbox and with me putting a larger turbo on I was just curious as to weather or not to put a 6 speed gearbox in as I know they have the larger 240mm clutch and I know this can handle more torque rather than the smaller clutch on the 5 speed. What's everyone's views on this? Should I keep the stock 5 speed and reduce the torque on the map or should I go and buy the 6 speed box? Is it worth the hassle crawling under the car to swap them over? Baring in mind the gearbox I've been offered is only £70. Thanks

Hi all some of you's might of seen the project I'm on doing on an a4 avant 1.9tdi. My question is, is that the car has a 5 speed manual gearbox and with me putting a larger turbo on I was just curious as to weather or not to put a 6 speed gearbox in as I know they have the larger 240mm clutch and I know this can handle more torque rather than the smaller clutch on the 5 speed. What's everyone's views on this? Should I keep the stock 5 speed and reduce the torque on the map or should I go and buy the 6 speed box? Is it worth the hassle crawling under the car to swap them over? Baring in mind the gearbox I've been offered is only £70. Thanks
Karl, aka deserts term did this on a Passat, you also need the gear change linkage and you'll need to fabricate a gear box mount, he did a how to on UK passat.co.uk, Getrag is the best one to get.

Thanks @QuattroCalum the gearbox is out of a passat and not to fussed about fabricating any mounts. I will have a look on ukpassat forum. Getrag? Is that who's made the gearbox?