New Front Discs Juddering

S3 Jock

Reaction score
Well, i changed the discs and pads abtou 1 month ago. I drive normally. I cleaned up the hub face very well.

Now when braking from anythign above 60mph there is a very noticable judder, so bad teh glove box rattles and you feel it through the chasis & seat. What the heck? Didn't buy dealer parts but AP Lockhead discs & pads, so it's not like I bought cheap crap parts!

Is there a problem with some after market parts, or could I have somethgn else wrong in the car?

hmm does the car pull to one side when braking ??? .

the discs could be faulty, have you the old ones to try ???

have you done any heavy braking, possible to warp new discs but it would take some doing imo.

Well worth checking the bottom arm bushes, if these split badly the whole suspension strut and wheel can judder under braking. HTH

Has anyone actually had these symptoms with new discs and eliminated them by replacing suspension bushes / balljoints / track rod eds?

Would have though worn bushes woudl be providing there own symptoms, like vague steering / knocks / clunks etc.

Lovegroover said:
Well worth checking the bottom arm bushes, if these split badly the whole suspension strut and wheel can judder under braking. HTH

Hey Lovegroover, I love the sportec wheels.:yes: They are my favourite. Did they clear your brake calipers ok without spaces?

And any more pics of your lovely S3?

Take the wheels off and inspect the discs, check they arent warped or manufactured faulty. Also my Dad works for Delphi :arco:

Space Cowboy - do you knwo the max run out for the discs.........and at the risk of beng cheeky.....what does your Dad think of Delphi quality?
I've never had probs with them in the past so was happy enough to go for them for my S3, jsut couldn't believe when she started bone-shakin again!!

Thanks

Space Cowboy - do you knwo the max run out for the discs.........and at the risk of beng cheeky.....what does your Dad think of Delphi quality?
I've never had probs with them in the past so was happy enough to go for them for my S3, jsut couldn't believe when she started bone-shakin again!!

Thanks

I dont know the max run out apologies, my dad works on the Rigs, supposedly Delphi are supposed to be really good, a load of people were going on about the Injectors for the 1.8 before they went into Chapter 11 in the states... I could probably tell you the rating on a Mack truck though if that helps? :p

thought i'd give you an update.

I changed the discs again....and within no time at all the same thing happened.

So this time I had the discs removed and machined plus changed for a different pad & voila.

So it seems the pad i had was the problem, too hard a compound perhaps. Lesson learned when buying cheaper aftermarket - next time i'll stick to OEM.

Oh and so you know - the judder was through the wheel so no doubt it was brake related and not suspension. All judder was entirely eliminated by changing the discs.