New Facelift S4 (with Photos)

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Yesterday I managed to see one of the new facelifted S4’s in person. One of the first in the country. These are German spec launch model cars and will be different to what will be on sale in the UK spec wise (so the sales manager told me!).
Really disappointed that it’s a diesel when diesels are on their way out and most manufacturers are stopping making diesels! But it did sound lovely! Like a petrol V6/V8.
So glad they have got rid of the horrible and useless touchpad wheel and the new bigger touchscreen is a joy to use. Sharper graphics as well. Standard spec has pretty much everything you would need.
7146936C F9DB 4D79 ABBA AB8A7227667F
99B11C78 86BB 4BD1 9D20 E8FC2C1F8B8E
512570E8 C07B 47B6 ADC2 F784C34AA5A3
FD61A7CF 3B42 47FA B852 89C2BCE56978

Reactions: scotty76, Bristle Hound, Scotty Corse and 3 others
Looks lovey but shame its a diesel. I think the removal of the mmi wheel is a misstate. And if the exhausts look like the S6 (attached) its a bit of joke on any car never mind a premium brand top spec costing £50k - £70k.

Attachments

• IMG_20190818_145844.jpg
    IMG_20190818_145844.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 337
Reactions: tickedon and BarryG79
Looks lovey but shame its a diesel. I think the removal of the mmi wheel is a misstate. And if the exhausts look like the S6 (attached) its a bit of joke on any car never mind a premium brand top spec costing £50k - £70k.
That's shocking that they are fake!

Reactions: SiPie
Getting rid of the touchpad is the worst thing they've done, only second to using a devil's engine, but that's been well documented. When legislation comes in, which I very much feel it will, that turns off the touchscreens whilst on the move Audi will have a problem.
There always should be alternative methods of controlling the technology, other than trying to find the correct voice command and Audi seem to be too lazy to implement them. In place of the touchpad is a black plastic cubbyhole of little use that looks like an afterthought...
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/opinion/curtis-moldrich/touchscreens-good-or-bad/

In fact I would go as far as saying that Audi appear to have let loose some interior Japanese designer these days...

Reactions: SiPie, BarryG79 and LeMans
Does the touchscreen fold away like the A6 used too?
Probably my biggest gripe with the B9.
Can't wait to see with black grill etc.
I like the fact its a diesel

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

The gap/ fake bonnet vent makes me feel sick! I see the new RS6 also has it

The gap/ fake bonnet vent makes me feel sick! I see the new RS6 also has it
So when finished with the exhausts the Japanese person turned their attention to the front end. Does make you think if Audi bothered to run designs with actual customer/owners instead of assuming their way was right....

Reactions: Keef
I genuinely think Audi have lost the plot.

Reactions: SiPie, Terminator x, Keef and 1 other person
The original B9 was the last good looking car they made, since then it’s been down hill IMO. The new design language, fake vents and exhausts and the all screen interiors looks ugly

I was expecting two touch screens like the other new audi's. I'd much prefer a touch screen like this and the original heating controls, best of both worlds. Using the dial to operate Android Auto is a right pain. Shameful that both exhausts are fake and blocked off though. If the car still sounds good, i don't see the problem with diesel, you get the extra torque and performance along with economy.

My local dealership has just moved into a new super-dooper, bigger premises. Previously, the showroom and the service dept were in separate locations, but now everything is under one (massive) roof. So while I was waiting for my car to be got ready in the week I had a look round the showroom. I can honestly that there was not one Audi I would be interested in. And the prices were astronomical. I know they were list prices, but even so they make Audis very expensive now.

I’ve bought 4 Audis from that dealership, all from the same salesman, and I know that any day now he’s going to ring me and ask whether I’m thinking of changing my car now that it’s 3 years old blah blah. I shall have to tell him that there isn’t a model that interests me enough, or is affordable enough for me to want to change. If he takes that as a challenge, well that could start a whole new chapter...

Reactions: tickedon and Terminator x
I'm going to go against the grain and say I love it. Think it looks great, and with it being diesel is a smart move. This will most likely end up being the best selling S4 to date IMO.

Reactions: jds_sg and Scotty Corse
My local dealership has just moved into a new super-dooper, bigger premises. Previously, the showroom and the service dept were in separate locations, but now everything is under one (massive) roof. So while I was waiting for my car to be got ready in the week I had a look round the showroom. I can honestly that there was not one Audi I would be interested in. And the prices were astronomical. I know they were list prices, but even so they make Audis very expensive now.

I’ve bought 4 Audis from that dealership, all from the same salesman, and I know that any day now he’s going to ring me and ask whether I’m thinking of changing my car now that it’s 3 years old blah blah. I shall have to tell him that there isn’t a model that interests me enough, or is affordable enough for me to want to change. If he takes that as a challenge, well that could start a whole new chapter...
This, agree with you completely, however I already have challenged them and they failed. I guess they still have November to work too, my deal with the A4 ends then not in October as I thought. But the CLA is now on order.
But, and a big but, having been driving my A4 again, after ill-health prevented me from working, it made me realise why I chose it in the first place and is a difficult one to beat. Who knows, if the CLA, as I've still no build date, looks like it'll not happen this side of Christmas, I might end up keeping it...

Well I only have to do a motorway trip in mine to remind me why I love it so much. I’ve yet to drive the V60, but however good it is, it will have to be very good to even compare with the A4. It wasn’t a hard decision to keep it for another year and, given that I was able to extend the warranty, it’s only the increased cost to change at 4 years that made me think of changing after 3.

If I do get another Audi, I’ll wait and see what I think of the all new A4 when that comes out in whenever-it-is. Whether it will be affordable, going by present trends, is another matter.

Reactions: cuke2u
I reckon that looks great. Diesel engine is the only reason I'd consider one for my daily driver.

S4 or S6, though .....

Reactions: tickedon
Hopefully it's quicker than its advertised.
A 3.0tdi 272 with a tuning box has the same torque and quicker 0 to 60 times.

Hopefully it's quicker than its advertised.
A 3.0tdi 272 with a tuning box has the same torque and quicker 0 to 60 times.

My 3.0tdi 272 is now remapped to 323 bhp with 720nm torque. Feels much quicker than it did with the DTUK tuning box on it.

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Yesterday I managed to see one of the new facelifted S4’s in person. One of the first in the country. These are German spec launch model cars and will be different to what will be on sale in the UK spec wise (so the sales manager told me!).
Really disappointed that it’s a diesel when diesels are on their way out and most manufacturers are stopping making diesels! But it did sound lovely! Like a petrol V6/V8.
So glad they have got rid of the horrible and useless touchpad wheel and the new bigger touchscreen is a joy to use. Sharper graphics as well. Standard spec has pretty much everything you would need.
View attachment 189256 View attachment 189257 View attachment 189259 View attachment 189260
Is that Lincoln Audi? I’m local so might go and have a look myself

I'm going to go against the grain and say I love it. Think it looks great, and with it being diesel is a smart move. This will most likely end up being the best selling S4 to date IMO.
I don’t think people buy an S car for economy though, and for people like me with relatively short commutes on a day to day basis I’d never consider a diesel because I’d have ruined the filter after a few months. At least give the UK the option of a petrol engine like the rest of Europe appears to be being offered.

Reactions: SiPie, Terminator x and cuke2u
I don’t think people buy an S car for economy though, and for people like me with relatively short commutes on a day to day basis I’d never consider a diesel because I’d have ruined the filter after a few months. At least give the UK the option of a petrol engine like the rest of Europe appears to be being offered.

I agree, at the moment the new diesel S4 would appeal to me as I do 600 miles a week. But, if i lived local to my work I would most definitely want a petrol S4. Although I wouldn’t change my 272 tdi for the new S4 as I don’t think the performance would be that much more, if any now it’s been remapped. Over the 30k I’ve done in my 272 I’ve averaged just over 49mpg, that’s calculated properly not by the car reading. I feel that’s pretty good considering the performance it has. But having said that, I miss the sound and the rev range you get from a petrol.

Reactions: Bells
Agreed... give us a choice.

Reactions: Bells and DaveW
Is the petrol engine a option in other European countries, I thought only that version was destined for North America...

It’s not, petrol is only available outside of Europe

Fake noise giving it a V8 sound, as if being diesel wasn't nasty enough! Audi what are you up to :(

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SiPie and Bells
Should have kept the S4 a S4 and given the diesel lovers a separate performance diesel imho.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bells
I think it looks pretty ****** good having seen some real life pics and videos. Jury still out on the whole diesel thing though.

Post #2 & 6 suggest they are fake both sides, however 2 or four it really doesn't matter.....

Last edited:
View attachment 189256 View attachment 189257 View attachment 189259 View attachment 189260
@ScottishA4B9 - Great pic's. Thanks for taking the time :thumbs up:
I can see that bonnet to grille gap being very marmite

May interest me if they do a factory option tow bar / electrics ;):D

@ScottishA4B9 - Great pic's. Thanks for taking the time :thumbs up:
I can see that bonnet to grille gap being very marmite

May interest me if they do a factory option tow bar / electrics ;):D
I know the gap is a hark back to the original Quattro, but does it serve any actual purpose? I can see that it might assist in engine cooling, but it looks to me as though somebody forgot to close the bonnet properly. And wouldn’t it affect the smooth flow of air over the bonnet?

Reactions: Bristle Hound

There are some interesting insights here on why Audi are doing this, maybe they're not as mad as we think,

I wonder if they have changed the "S" layout on the VC on the S4 as they have on the S7 as pictured below
Fullsizeoutput 1f2

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I would never consider a petrol S4 as I drive 20-25k miles per year. A diesel S4 could make my short list, although the depreciation would be killer!

While I prefer the front and rear (except the fake exhausts), the changes to the side profile ruin the car imho. Also wonder why they couldn’t keep the touch pad/wheel at same time as going to a touchscreen!