Facelift New exhaust due to valve stick

evil_scooby

Reaction score
Was a bit surprised but thought I would share.
Rs3 8v 20k miles. My valve was squeaking, still working but just annoying hearing noise.
Audi didn't have a fix so exhaust had to get replaced

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

How and when could you hear it squeak?

When the valve opens or shuts.
So when sitting still, swapping between drive and sports. Or when hitting around 3.5k revs. Or sometimes pulling away or switching off

When the valve opens or shuts.
So when sitting still, swapping between drive and sports. Or when hitting around 3.5k revs. Or sometimes pulling away or switching off

Hmm, I also have a similar squeak - I thought it was transmission related as it's most audible during coast down in 1st gear, specifically as the transmission "disengages" at very low speed. It's also repeatable when sitting still, swapping between drive and sports; just as you've mentioned. Mine is a FL, with ~22K miles.

Did you just book it into your Audi dealer with a "squeak"?

Sounds the same.
The test we did to show them was just moving from drive to sports while parked, while he listened and looked at exhaust.it was easy to recreate.

He said they have seen a few now.

When it was on ranks they manually moved the valve and it squeaked so he knew it was a valve issue.

I think he did say i had a note on system (TDI?) Which was around exhaust valve, but he said this was physical issue.

Whats gpf ?

Its actually more economical since it went in for that and service.
Was getting 35mpg the other day

Don’t worry this won’t be retro fitted to cars that didn’t leave the factory with it as standard.
5ad08896f5c70f8f142766920b0be3d0.jpg

Was only a joke. They'll only change the back section anyway.

Mine had a leak on it but didn't require any new bits, they just tightened/adjusted the clamp sleeve thing.

My exhaust was just blowing at the joint in the middle.

IMG 20190620 055729

If my valve is broke (and I'm not saying it is) it's probably stuck in full anti social mode. I no mind that!

Mine is going in for this on 17th July.
EXACTLY the same.
Squeeking when you change between S and D.
I can even hear similar noises when driving with the windows open at low speeds and wonder if that's an issue with the Mag Ride
Anything I should be aware of/be ready for when it goes in?

@mattdsc @evil_scooby

Sorry for the thread bump. Mine is currently in with Audi to investigate (Same issue as above, squeaking when changing between S and D) and they have just called me to say they are replacing the exhaust

How did your fix go? All ok after?

No issues with them sneaking a GPF/OPF in there?! :sweatsmile:

I don't have a squeak but this got me thinking... My left exhaust is much louder than my right. Is that common or do I had a stuck valve?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

@mattdsc @evil_scooby

Sorry for the thread bump. Mine is currently in with Audi to investigate (Same issue as above, squeaking when changing between S and D) and they have just called me to say they are replacing the exhaust

How did your fix go? All ok after?

No issues with them sneaking a GPF/OPF in there?! :sweatsmile:
Mine has been all good since. And maybe decent power when mapped so dont think they managed to sneak anything in :)

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Mine has been all good since. And maybe decent power when mapped so dont think they managed to sneak anything in :)

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Ah nice mate! Thanks for the reply!!

Any difference in noise with the exhaust or not at all?

@Bonstio Left side being louder is normal. IIRC, the left side is the "primary" side with the flaps open at idle etc, right side opens more dynamically (at >3k revs etc)

Reactions: Bonstio
I don't have a squeak but this got me thinking... My left exhaust is much louder than my right. Is that common or do I had a stuck valve?

Get a Cete on it, then it’s loud all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a Cete on it, then it’s loud all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, my observation was from pre-stage1. I haven't actually checked what's what now that I have a Revo map. I suspect it may have changed. Thanks for the info tho.

Actually, my observation was from pre-stage1. I haven't actually checked what's what now that I have a Revo map. I suspect it may have changed. Thanks for the info tho.

Revo map will have both exhaust flaps open all the time when in Dynamic mode

Reactions: illingworth22
I have noticed that my ( Nov 2018) saloon valve is stuck in the open position intermittently.
Are there two flaps on the exhaust, i.e. one on either side?