New Custom Exhaust (3.0tdi)

Reaction score
Finally got my exhaust fabricated and thought I would post a few pics. 316 stainless steel construction (apart from the tips which are 304 because they had to be bought). Really pleased with the results! Only downside is the speed at which the tips become blackened! Video doesn't do it justice...

IMG_0235.jpg

4" Slashed tips (pardon the cable ties, before the hangers were on)

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Decided to have the tips removable so they could easily be changed if necessary later

Exhaust6.jpg

Tricky bit to go round the quattro...

Exhaust4.jpg

DSC01780.jpg

DSC01778.jpg

Video: Audi A4 Cab :: 00008.mp4 video by jjmurphy21187 - Photobucket

Very nice!, what sort of price would he charge for something the like that?

Would've been £750 but the extra flanges for the tips was another £80. Not a cheap option but he can fabricate more or less anything you want and the craftsmanship is 2nd to none

Would you mind saying what the setup is in full, for example regarding the catalyst, DPF, secondary cat, silencers etc. I'm looking to get something to improve my exhaust note on mine and unleash the growl (2k rpm +) of the V6 but don't want something too loud as I'm on the motorway everyday and have had bad experiences with boomy exhaust systems.

Now that looks like a quality bit of work. Where was that exhaust made?

It was made by an independant in Nottingham, 'Wright Bro's Autos' and the guy's name is Dale. Doesn't have a website unfortunately but he came recommended to me and has done a few other audi exhausts.

He sent me a few pics of others he's done, A6, RS6 and Carl's A4, which I can forward if anyone's interested: drop me a PM

Would you mind saying what the setup is in full, for example regarding the catalyst, DPF, secondary cat, silencers etc. I'm looking to get something to improve my exhaust note on mine and unleash the growl (2k rpm +) of the V6 but don't want something too loud as I'm on the motorway everyday and have had bad experiences with boomy exhaust systems.

Setup is as follows: 1st CAT & downpipe is standard, from the downpipe back has all been replaced. Already had the DPF gutted/mapped out so no additional mapping was needed for the new exhaust. Downpipe goes into a straight through silencer (maybe 14" long?), then the pipe splits just before the quattro box and goes round the support struts/ARB etc, then two 4" tips on the end (no backboxes).

I was after exactly the same thing as you MaJiK, but honestly there is a bit of drone which unfortunately falls just at cruising speed (1700-2000rpm). Now I've been looking into ways to counter this and aside from coating the floor of the car in sound deadening material, I found the concept of adding a 'Side-Branch Resonator' which can be used to eliminate specific resonant freqnencies. Sounds like a good idea and it's what companies like Miltek use inside their backboxes to give a 'tuned' system:

ExhaustDrone.jpg

According to my calculations (lab coat on at this point), for a 6 cyl engine with a resonante freq of 'X', the pipe length should be 'Y':

RPM = 1700 L = 1.009m
RPM = 1800 L = 0.953m
RPM = 1900 L = 0.903m
RPM = 2000 L = 0.858m
RPM = 2100 L = 0.817m
RPM = 2200 L = 0.780m

So ideally you'd make the pipe length adjustable to change the frequency response, as the res freq changes which exhaust gas temps (hence why the sound different on start-up and after a run) and it's not an exact science. But if the side res runs parallel to the main exhaust it HAS to be a mandrel bend, otherwise it messes with the pressure waves and doesn't work correctly...

Found this on a US forum for Corvettes and Trucks, a lot of those guys swear by it. Having said that those guys have V8s which require a shorter pipe length to get the same res freq...

Reactions: Jespy
Brilliant response thanks for that. I may just do the same setup as you have but have back boxes in place to counter the drone at cruising speeds. My only concern as I've probably mentioned many of times is the increase in smoke after the DPF removal.

Ive seen a exhaust on a a4 with one of those fitted on a US site might have been on audizine

Any idea if it was effective at getting rid of the drone at crusing speed?? Going to enquire about cost of adding this later...

Brilliant response thanks for that. I may just do the same setup as you have but have back boxes in place to counter the drone at cruising speeds. My only concern as I've probably mentioned many of times is the increase in smoke after the DPF removal.

Might be worth considering the Miltek... if you can get a good deal...

PS: You could always use the 'Thanks' button :yahoo:

What I also meant to say in that post :keule: was that I've never had excessive black smoke after removing the DPF. It can depend on your map and if it's done properly (so I've read), but I've never seen a cloud of black left in my wake in the rear-view... slight hazyness at night through headlights, but that's normal...

If you want to swing by Nottingham you're welcome to have a listen before shelling out £xxx!

I agree, those welds are just spot on... makes the workmanship on the Milltek system I have (gets fitted on Monday! woo!) look pretty average, I can tell you.

hi i would like to open this thread and get some feedback if possible.

i have and audi A6 3.0 TDI from 2008 with de-cat and de-dpf and alot off drone about 2200 rpm 2600 rpm in my car but and awesome sound on the outside.

i saw your thread and would like to now if this worked for you and the lenght of the side brnach resonater is that from were the mandrel bend starts or ends.?

what size thit you end up with and were was your drone in rpm.?

thanks in advance

It's not to difficult to do a side branch resonator like a trombone slide so the length is adjustable that way you can tweak it. They do work really well to get rid of drone.

Reactions: hapsdoggen
Sold the a4 cabriolet this weekend and will be selling this exhaust in the classifieds shortly. If anyone is interested PM me! It will be collection only due to size and weight!

Sold the a4 cabriolet this weekend and will be selling this exhaust in the classifieds shortly. If anyone is interested PM me! It will be collection only due to size and weight!

Might be interested. Where are you located?
Not sure how I'll fit in a cab tho..

I'm in Beeston in Nottingham, there's a garage round the corner from me which could fit it for you (the same one that removed it from my cab), but you would still have your old exhaust to contend with. Best option would probably to hire a van to collect it

Great price for the exhaust and what looks like excellent craftsmanship.. hope you sell it.

Really nice car too and sad you sold it.

Ive just done mine on my cab and its epic.

Good luck with it all.