New Company Car Part 2

amoffat

Reaction score
Website
www.uk.experian.com
Right... I have finally narrowed the car choice down. I need to get quotes to make sure I can acutally afford them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but here goes please help me decide by doing the poll and adding any comments /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I will be doing 30k per annum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

1. Honda S2000 (met silver and red leather) will cost me an extra £117 per month extra over std co.car

2. Audi TT Roadster (180bhp) (Dolomite grey and red leather) will cost me £140 per month extra over std co.car

3. Audi TT Coupe (180bhp) (Dolomite grey and red leather) will cost me £90 per month extra over std co.car

4. VW Golf R32 (leather and any fecking colour if I actually got one!) will cost me £119 per month extra over std co.car

5. Saab 9-3 2.0T Aero (210bhp) (fully loaded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif) in steel grey. will cost me £120 per month extra over std co. car

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1045528194S3 Moff">

Which one?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />S2000
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />TTR
<input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />TTC
<input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />R32
<input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />Saab
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

b4 you ask, I can't afford the TT225. My heart is going with the S2000 (0-60 in 5.5 / 0-100 14secs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), but not sure about the noise on the m/way etc. sensible choice would be the TTC for the cost to me.... I dunno My gf would get the S3, so the R32 would be too similar? The Saab is a nice car, and good for the motorway driving but I'm not 46 yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif although I do really like it.

Being a mere 44, and doing about the same mileage I would go for the R32 or the Saab.

We already own a S2000, nice car for the weekend sir, but not any good for everyday use.

R32 spec and availability is a lottery at the moment - go for the Saab.

The Saab uses new vectra underpinnings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif i'd go for the R32 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saab for every day use and comfort......and a ****** nice looking car these days too.
S2000, not really a car for every day, as said before.
TT's, I would still jump at the chance to have one, as I think they still are gorgeous, but having said that have they not completly dropped off the coolness (Top Gear influenced) scale now?
R32, Golfs always remind me of booming bass and young misfits driving them (is that you Moff?), and a tuned version just makes it worse.....but still a very quick and capable car, and better handling than the S3 I think.

God this is ****** hard! We (me and the gf) really want a convertible as we will be keeping the S3. That really rules the R32 out (?) as its too similar. The Saab mmmm going to see the Aero at lunch, so I will see.

Going to drive a 180 TT soon to see what the performance is like. As they are all leased I can't mod, and I can't get a used car.

The S2000 is screaming HAVE ME! HAVE ME! although I am completely aware of how unpractical it is. Fatcat, would I feel comfortable driving it the S2000 for say 2 hours? I am willing to take the con's with having an S2000 as long as they aren't too extreme.

Well, you can probably guess what I voted for.
As for not being an everyday car, I would disagree in all but the most extreme weather condtions - if it's snowy, stay at home. 240bhp, RWD and no traction control make snow erm..... interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Motorway driving is fine, not much noisier than the Passat really. And I have driven from Wiltshire to Manchester and N. Yorks on many occasions without any problems with the seats, they're more comfortable than the Passat's actually, which I find I can't sit in for more than 2 hours without needing a stretch.
It blows away many much more powerful cars on the track.
Heating is so good that you can have the roof down even at this time of year, which is nice.

You have to own a sportscar at some point in your life, and I'm not talking about a family car with a powerful engine, I'm talking about a car that you have to drive, one which makes lots of racing car noise and handles like a sports car, not a hatchback with stiff suspension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Go on, you know you want to......

What about a lexus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

No seriously... if you are going to do lots of motorway miles you want something that will cruise nicely and after the S3 will have good low down power and torque for overtaking etc. Not sure if the S2000 fits the bill ?

What about an A4 or Passat ?

Ahem. Of course, company car, not allowed to mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wouldn't dream of suggesting that Moff should REVO a company car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

Moff,

The S2000 is a good choice. I'd love one in the colour you're after with the red leather. Sod practicality, like Mark said it's not a total loss on this front anyway. Any minor discomforts will be easily forgotten when you get chance to give it some revs and let the VTEC do it's thang /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Plus you'll be able to get the top down and from driving my fiancees MX-5 I know that this gives a great feel good factor. Basically it will put a smile on your face almost every time you drive it, thats one hell of a selling point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Christian

If youa re keeping the S3 then who cares about practicality - just take the S3 on those occasions you have to do long journeys or carry any luggage !!!!

[ QUOTE ]
but how does it compare to the Saab?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dunno yet, I am going to see the Aero tomorrow, its not officially available until March, but two have just arrived at my local dealer. Can't drive it until March, but it will help me decide.

[ QUOTE ]
If youa re keeping the S3 then who cares about practicality - just take the S3 on those occasions you have to do long journeys or carry any luggage !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point, but I will want to keep the mileage down on the S3. But, when the weather is really bad, we can swop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am meant to be getting an S2000 for the weekend very soon for a demo, so I will let you all know how it goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Need to get my hands on a 180 TT as well, for a comparison.

Thanks for the comments, its great to hear other peoples views.... the poll has surprised me actually!

Well, that seems the last nail in the coffin for the TT then Moff, has to be the Honda..........

I would go with the TT or the Saab, thouse Aero's and the Viggens go like the poo off a spade!!

The Honda's are good but the interiors look like they are built by Nintendo!

I know it might be a bit late, but have you considered a VX220 turbo with the touring pack? £25k lots of go, great handling, just a shame about the badge, plus the dealers are having problems shifting them so you could get yourself a good deal and probably a load of extras. Auto Express had a good write up about the turbo version in this weeks magazine, reconed it was a good buy if you were happy owning a vauxhall.

great track day car , but couldn't handle it for anything else. took me 2 minutes to get in one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

they are just like racing cars... very 'sparse'.

perfect weekend car IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

With the turbo, they have introduced a new touring pack which is loads of sound deadening, carpets etc, but if it took you 2 mins to get in, I guess I'm wasting my time typing this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris.

I will make sure to have a look, cause we get huge discount on GM cars, hence the Saab in my poss choices.

Think there are great cars, I actually prefer it to the Elise, although in terms of brandingm Lotus have easily won that gaem. Don't know if I would want to ever admit to owning a *cough* Vauxhall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am completely aware of how unpractical it is. Fatcat, would I feel comfortable driving it the S2000 for say 2 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

You could drive it for 2 hours, but every day.... you will end up wanting to boot it at EVERY opportunity, dunno Moff it's a tough call, if you are SURE, VERY SURE then go for the S2000 you will not be disappointed.
We love the thing, it's the only thing I now drive on the weekends.

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Fatcat, cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.giffor the advise mate! It is a tricky one. I will have it for a week and I will try and do as many business journeys as possible. If it proves too unpractical my end up with the Saab.... time will tell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

voted for R32 but then read your comments re. cab - get the S2000, having driven both it p*sses all over a TT225 if you don't mind the manic revving

you are keeping the S3 so you have a sensible car so go for it properly on your fun car - the TTR is a blend of S3 and S2000

I voted for R32 nice cruiser and still looks like it will be fun should you want it.

I am a little biased against the TTr at the moment being well and truely fed up with the piece of junk i purchased last year and so if you wanted a 2 seater I'd go for S2000.