New Company Car - Opinions

RAPS3

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Ok - It's nealry time for me to order my new company car.

I work for quite a large company, but the policy is pants.

As some may be aware I've ordered a new S3 for my own car, which will sit in the garage at home for weekends / evenings / when the wife wants to use it instead of her bus.

Anyway - have a look at my options below. Points to note, I dont do that many business miles (about 6000 p/a) and live local to where I work so no long commutes.

I have a gut feel for what I'm going to order, just thought I'd get some opinions here, to help me decide.

If it were your choice what would you go for?

VW Passat 4dr, 1.9 Tdi Highline08 £18,275 148

Citroen C5, dr Saloon. 1.6Hdi VTR 08 17790.01 149

Peugeot 308, 5dr HAT, 1.6Hdi 110 SE 07 17669.99 129

Ford Mondeo, 5dr HAT, 1.8TDCi 100 Edge 08A 17080 149

Peugeot 407, 4dr Saloon, 2.0HDi 136 SE 07 18994.99 155

Toyota Avensis 5dr Hatch, 2.0 D-4D T2, 07A 16779.99 146

Mazda 6, 5 dr Hatch, 2.0d TS2 08 18630 147

Vauxhall Vectra, 5dr HAT, 1.9 Cdti Exclusive 120 08 16595.01 154

Toyota Prius Hatchback, 1.5 VV Ti T4 Hybrid 06 18861.99 104

Honda Civic 4dr Saloon, 1.4 IMA ES CVT 08 17414.99 109

I would more than likely go for the Passat.

Is there any difference in TAX you pay each month for them?

Honda if you feel brave and like something different, Passat will look best on your drive personally thinking, it's the classless image of VW, Mondeo if having a nice drive is important to you, it's the only car there with a personality... but they are so common. I would give the others a miss personally, but that's how I see it from the list you have posted up.

Is there any difference in TAX you pay each month for them?

Yeah a slight difference but nothing major, that would influence it either way.

I'd happily pay more if I could change the cars on that list !

The Passat was the one on my shortlist, I just wish it was the 2.0tdi and not the 1.9tdi. The 2.0 is a much better drive so I've heard.

Mazda 6 - may be worth a test drive - never gave it much thought, but the looks are ok I suppose. Anyone driven a Mazda 6?

Mondeo or Passat for me I think. Lean more towards the mondeo just because its something different, it looks quite nice from the front too.

Personally i think the new C5's look alright, not sure id go for one tho

Passat tbh, nothing stands out as much, but at end of day company car = more tax, so get whats best on pocket cause at home is the monster car, lol

I'd probably go for Passat or Avensis then, if no real cost, I've heard the same about the 2.0l TDI Passat. (Would your company allow you to drop down a model of passat so not highline and up the engine size maybe?)

I wish - unfortunatley the list is the list.

I'm actually a Senior manager in the company, but have no say in the Policy. Even the Directors to not get a choice. It is goverened by the HR department. WTF :Flush:.

I did request an option to change and maybe take an allowance and find a lease vehicle. I also offered to pay the difference in what the company pays, if I specced a car that was not on the list. Each met with , the list is the list. :keule:

I like the avensis's but they're becoming a little dated now dont you think?

I think the Passat is the best of the bunch TBH, but I dont think I'll discount the mazda or the C5 until I've had a drive in each of them.

Yep, I cannot disagree with you there, the avensis is a bit dated now, certainly due for a overhall.

I do like the shape of the new Passat, and when I next change car, am seriously considering it, if you do go for it, please let me know how you found it.

That's insane, not being allowed to change the list, it's up to HR. What's in it for them is the questions?

Good luck making your choice.. Make use of the free test drives, see if you can get anything for 24hours or the weekend!

I would go for the Mondy.

Ford gave me a 48hr test drive, but it was over a bank holiday so it extended to five:laugh:

Just thought id mention that where I work the directors are all entitled to an RS4 saloon, as a company car!!!

So its quite funny when we have adirectors meeting to see them all lined up in all the different colours they came in!!!

When will I be a director :(

A basic A4 tdi in the list above would suffice for me, but thats not even there.

I need to confirm if the new Avensis is confirmed on the list and also see if the new vauxhall insignia is going to be replacing the Vectra.

If they are then I'll be booking a few testdrives. I've driven a Passat before (hire car). So I'll have a run out in the Mazda and then maybe the new Avensis, Mondeo and Insignia to try and compare them all.

Do they do a base model insignia, the only ones I have seen have been well specced up with 19" wheels etc. I dont think they'd be on the list !!

The passat is so dull and has the most annoying handbrake ever! If you can get an Insignia then go with that, its winning awards all over the place for a reason.

Go for the mondeo, bit of a reputation, but a damn good car.

I personally think the latest Mondeo looks ugly and it's a pretty BIG car too!, only 1 inch shorter than the current 5-Series I read somewhere.

i can see its not in your options list but the new honda accord estate is a very tasty looking motor. i just wish i had a problem like this good luck in your choice

The New Advensis is a very nice car...

It does feel very refined.. my mates dad has one and gave me a lift once..very quite inside..

Should eat the motorway miles with ease...

Another vote for either the Passat or the Mondeo

Richard

I like the new Honda accord - but thats on the next list up (director level)

I've just had a whisper in my ear that the lists are under review and there may be even a possibility of there being a policy change so you can opt out and recieve an an allowance. I hope so.

At least if this happens I can drive something I want to drive.

Regarding eating motorway miles. You could count your fingers the amount of times I drive on a motorway in a year. So not really a problem. More twisty A and B roads around where I drive.

As much as I hate to say it - Mondeo (was it Top Gear's car of the year a few yrs back?)