New Common Rail 170bhp diesel - drivers thoughts

mister.c.

Reaction score
Hello all. I hear for many there have been delays in people getting their hands on this one. However one or two have sneaked through to drivers and I just wondered if anyone on the forum have had the pleasure on this one, and if so what your thoughts are.

I've tried to get a test drive on the new 170 CR TDI engine without success; though I enjoyed the 2.0TSI s-line I did get a test drive on (great interior and alloys) and think if I go A3 that the S-Line has to be the best spec for me (its a company car). Mind you to me, the 2.0T in the VW Scirocco I test drove to be a more enjoyable driving experience; perhaps I'm more used to diesel in the A3 as I've had one for the last 3 years.

When I've got the quotes from our lease people (+ tax implications etc), the 2.0 170 CR has come back overall a fair bit cheaper than the 2.0T and I've read a few good reports from those with the same engine in the TT and also good things refinement wise from those who've driven the 140bhp. But for those in the forum who are living with the engine, then I'd welcome any feedback and thoughts from your experiences.

I'd be interested to hear some feedback too. Looking at placing an order as soon as I get some time to visit the dealers!