New Carwow video: Merc AMG CLA 35 vs S3

Ormesome

Reaction score
New car wow video for you guys. Merc AMG CLA 35 vs S3:

Reactions: Ron240, josul and pburv
That Carwow guy is not my cup of tea...too full of trying to be funny and not succeeding, but his evaluations are not bad on this comparison, except for the CLA dashboard. That looks like a a big oblong plank, stuck on two thirds of the dash....not classy at all, video gamers will love it.

Reactions: wab172uk and Jassyo06
We "video gamers" definitely don't enjoy it thank you very much

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TonkS3, Jassyo06 and Flying Scotsman
Personally I think the Mercedes styling is hideous. Fair enough the S3 may be a little long in the tooth but as a design it is in a different league imo.

Reactions: wab172uk and Jassyo06
Think the S3’s interior gets an unfair bashing to be honest, yes the new Merc has a very modern infotainment system but Audi’s virtual cockpit isn’t that far behind I don’t think, especially considering this isn’t the latest gen A3 that will be coming later this year.

Also the performance of the ‘next gen’ Merc isn’t all that impressive given that Audi will no doubt easily beat it with the next gen S3.

I'm going to be the odd one out here and say the new CLA is a very stylish car that's packed with tech and more desirable than an A3/S3.
I like it so much I'm trying to buy one....but its proving difficult because factory orders are in extremely short supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: cuke2u and KenL
Possibly unpopular opinion but I think the CLA looks crap. The A class saloon looks much better. The interior of that CLA has the upgraded screens which from memory are like £2000 as part of a package! Also 4.3 to 60 surprised me. Anyone know what the pre facelift saloon does?

Reactions: wab172uk
Personally I hate the interiors of the new cars... Just big XL ipads in it... I really love the interior of my s3 just a good combination between screen and buttons. And the quality from Audi's interior is so much better then the plastic interior from the merc... .

Its just weird that it isn't allowed to use your phone while driving but on the other side they put big ipads in cars with useless options :p

I'm going to be the odd one out here and say the new CLA is a very stylish car that's packed with tech and more desirable than an A3/S3.
I like it so much I'm trying to buy one....but its proving difficult because factory orders are in extremely short supply.
Ron more desirable...?come on mate...snap out of it...lol more technology ?explain ... details..please, because I'd love to know if it's more tech is of any use over what's necessary in a car ....the A class overall will age badly as it hasn't got any real character....very bland in its design apart from that overly large Mercedes star at front which is rather lairy looking

Reactions: N.J.H and Ron240
The A class saloon looks much better.
The interior of that CLA has the upgraded screens which from memory are like £2000 as part of a package!
There is a youtube video which concentrates purely on the differences between the CLA and A Class Saloon, and I agree with the reviewer that the choice has to be CLA.
There are 3 set trim levels - entry level known as AMG Line, Premium, then Premium Plus. When the screens are off the physical size is the same. When turned on all have a 10.25" media display, but the instrument display in the entry level model is 7". Premium and Premium Plus have a matching 10.25" instrument display along with other equipment included in the trim spec. In non AMG models the upgrade price for Premium is £1500 then a further £1500 for Premium Plus. For AMG 35 models Premium costs an additional £2500, then a further £3500 for Premium Plus. There is only 2 trim specs for the AMG 45S - both highly desirable but you will need very deep pockets to afford either. :D

Reactions: Joxh
Ron more desirable...?come on mate...snap out of it...
Discussing the desirability of the Mercedes would be a futile exercise Jassy old bean, so I'm not even going to try. :innocent:
It is opinion and I'm glad we don't all have the same one....otherwise we would all be driving around in the same model of car. :D

P.S. I agree with you about the A Class hatchback....but the CLA has character and is widely referred to as a baby CLS.

Reactions: cuke2u and Jassyo06
You know what, the only thing that really annoys me with the tech is that I hate the fact that I can’t zoom in more on the map. It really irritates me that the whole MMI map can’t be viewed like normal sat navs and I can only zoom in to 30metres. This can’t be hard to change. Otherwise I’m quite happy with the tech at the moment.

Car wise, I think it’s quite unfair that Carwow and other YouTubers keep putting the S3 against newer cars, I know it’s the current model but it’s basically pointless given that the new model is imminent. The Merc is much nicer in my opinion, but then the design is current so a little unfair.

That Carwow guy is not my cup of tea...too full of trying to be funny and not succeeding, but his evaluations are not bad on this comparison, except for the CLA dashboard. That looks like a a big oblong plank, stuck on two thirds of the dash....not classy at all, video gamers will love it.
NOt succeeding?? ar you blind or somethin'? his subs grows pretty fast and views are great .. plenty money they have

Discussing the desirability of the Mercedes would be a futile exercise Jassy old bean, so I'm not even going to try. :innocent:
It is opinion and I'm glad we don't all have the same one....otherwise we would all be driving around in the same model of car. :D

P.S. I agree with you about the A Class hatchback....but the CLA has character and is widely referred to as a baby CLS.

Best looking Mercedes if there is such a thing..lol is the New E Class Coupe mate....
l have seen the A class AMG coupe up close in red it was,whilst the exterior was bland looking but unoffensive....the dashboard especially when its sat parked looked dreadful
I honestly can say l dont get tiered off looking at my Saloon after nearly 30 months,plus it sounds rather great especially if l tilt the roof open...still puts a smile on my face and its a car that i'll keep far longer than l have ever done...still gets looks and compliments

You keep on saying the A class Saloon is on short demand give it time and it wont be and that's when to buy one, as you well know first adopters of anything pay through the nose,one last point and its only my opinion l find the colour choices Mercedes offer on the A class to be either rather mute or vulgar....=That yellow

Reactions: Ron240 and pburv
Best looking Mercedes if there is such a thing..lol is the New E Class Coupe mate....
You keep on saying the A class Saloon is on short demand
E class Coupe is lovely....but I cant afford one. :(

I cant comment on the A Class Saloon availability.....but the CLA is very hard to get at the moment.
They are 2 different cars mate. :innocent:
I know I want one so would rather get sooner than later.....because the longer I wait the more money it will cost me to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06
NOt succeeding?? ar you blind or somethin'? his subs grows pretty fast and views are great .. plenty money they have
From what l can interpret from your posts ? You need to calm it a bit ....

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Nige Smith, pburv and 3 others
He's off again bless him , could it be narcotics !

Maybe a Dale's special pizza delivery :wink:

The CLA also has a Shooting Brake a kinda scaled down version of the CLS Shooting Brake barge
( E Class based ) .

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv
Possibly unpopular opinion but I think the CLA looks ****. The A class saloon looks much better. The interior of that CLA has the upgraded screens which from memory are like £2000 as part of a package! Also 4.3 to 60 surprised me. Anyone know what the pre facelift saloon does?

I'd agree. The Saloon is the best looking A Class they make.

Personally, I think Matt Watson's reviews are better than the rest. OK, he can sometimes try to be funny too much, but I think his lighthearted reviews are a welcome alternative to the mostly boring reviews of most car sites. If I want something more slick, I'll go to Carfection.

Got a bit sick of Shmee150 & Mr JWW, as every review was just the same. Shmee is quite boring, and his entire content is "I've just bought". And when he does review another car, it's too long going through every function.

Reactions: TYb
Shmee is insanely boring. Mat Watson's videos are much more enjoyable. focuses on practicality and i can't help but laugh at his dad jokes.

in any case, those CLA exhausts look terrible.

Reactions: TYb and mve7
I'd agree. The Saloon is the best looking A Class they make.
I know it is your personal opinion, but I honestly don't understand how anybody could prefer the A Class Saloon over the CLA.
Did you watch the video I posted which highlights the differences?
Mercedes have deliberately distanced the CLA from the A Class and marketed as a 4 door coupe, while the Saloon is simply an A Class with a boot....so in a way your statement is understandable because I also think the Saloon is the best A Class. ;)
I am genuinely curious what it is specifically about the Saloon that makes you prefer it over the CLA?

Reactions: cuke2u
Personally, I think Matt Watson's reviews are better than the rest. OK, he can sometimes try to be funny too much, but I think his lighthearted reviews are a welcome alternative to the mostly boring reviews of most car sites. If I want something more slick, I'll go to Carfection.

Got a bit sick of Shmee150 & Mr JWW, as every review was just the same. Shmee is quite boring, and his entire content is "I've just bought". And when he does review another car, it's too long going through every function.
He is cool and that's why they has so much subbs without fun it would be boring as carbuyer where he used to work and he decided to go his own way and he succeeded

I know it is your personal opinion, but I honestly don't understand how anybody could prefer the A Class Saloon over the CLA.
Did you watch the video I posted which highlights the differences?
Mercedes have deliberately distanced the CLA from the A Class and marketed as a 4 door coupe, while the Saloon is simply an A Class with a boot....so in a way your statement is understandable because I also think the Saloon is the best A Class. ;)
I am genuinely curious what it is specifically about the Saloon that makes you prefer it over the CLA?

I'm referring to the exterior looks only. I do think the Saloon `Looks` better than both the CLA and Hatchback, in the same way I think the S3 Saloon looks better than the 3 door or Sportback. Just what I prefer in a car.

With Saloon v's CLA, I prefer the shorter boot overhang. The CLA to me looks like a Banana in side profile. I just don't like the rear end. Just like I don't like the rear of the A7.

Where Mercedes let themselves down regarding the Saloon, was kit. They have obviously classed the Saloon and the poor version. The Hatch and the CLA get the fixed head restraint seats, while the Saloon get's the basic looking ones. And you can't spec the buckets, which I would have wanted.

But after test driving the Hatch for a few hours, I found the ride way too stiff, and the dashboard, while initially impressive with all that tech, just started looking cheap by the time I handed the keys back. The engine wasn't anything special, and the gearbox was annoying. It did cover ground at a fair old lick though. After the test drive I was pleased to get back into my S3.

As for the ride, the dealer did say the Saloon (and no doubt CLA) do ride better on the adjustable dampers. But I can only go on what I drove. It was a no from me.

Reactions: Ron240
@wab172uk Ok that's fair enough....and your reasons for disliking it are exactly my reasons for preferring it. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things. :)
I actually thought the interior was identical and didn't know about the seats. :D I wasn't entirely sure about the fixed head restraints, but after sitting in one its not an issue.
I remember last year when both the Saloon and CLA were announced at the same time(CLA was maybe a week later), and not being a big fan of the hatchback I immediately liked the Saloon....which is exactly how I feel about the A3.
Then the CLA was announced and I instantly preferred it over the Saloon. :sunglasses:
The shark like nose that slopes forward slightly which is reminiscent of an 80's BMW 6 series, different shaped headlights, "power bulges" on the bonnet, the sloping roofline.....but it is the rear that makes the biggest difference. The longer overhang with slimmer more stylish looking tail lights, and the much smoother boot line due to the number plate being repositioned on the bumper.

Reactions: wab172uk
I would rather buy audi S3 .. mercedess cars are not ''sport icon'' those cars are just for like elegant non for sporting or racing.. Audi has nice design for sport.. As they do many cars sporty way if you know what I mean

Last edited:
Reactions: mve7
I would rather buy audi S3 .. mercedess cars are not ''sport icon'' those cars are just for like elegant non for sporing or racing.. Audi has nice design for sport.. As they do many cars sporty way if you know what I mean
You completely avoided answering the question. ;)
I already have an S3 Saloon which is fast but very understated in its looks.
"Elegant" is a good word......yes the CLA is elegant. :sunglasses:
I am at a stage in my life now where I am willing to move away from outright speed and go for a more luxurious trim spec, that's why I'm looking at the CLA 250 Premium Plus.
Of course if money was no option I would have both. :D

Last edited:
He is cool and that's why they has so much subbs without fun it would be boring as carbuyer where he used to work and he decided to go his own way and he succeeded

His is cool..for one thing cool is no longer used to describe a person. You are showing your age Peto and I am 71 years young. I personally like reviewers of cars to just give their evaluations of performance, ergonomics, styling etc. and not wetting a finger to stick in someone's ear and making jokes about their dad. Matt might make some cash, but so do a lot of other plonks.

Back to Mercedes styling the only lookers are the E class. Audi and BMW saloons/fastbacks are way better looking in my opinion.