New Car vs Approved Used - finance deals

DangerS3

Reaction score
This weekend saw me and the missus visit an Audi and Merc dealership to sort of window shop. She sat in a TT and loved it, I sat in a grey RS3 but she didn't like it :(
So it then resulted in us seeing finance offers for cheaper monthly payments than what we're paying for our cars at the moment. Although we do own our cars, they aren't leased.

Now I'm not clued up on PCP, HP etc etc in the slightest, but would a dealer offer the same sort of deals for both new and used? Also I know that people can haggle a slight discount on brand new orders.

We visited the showrooms fairly late in the day and they were about to shut, so we didn't waste any salesman's time asking

So if anyone could help shed some light it would be much appreciated. Also what are the actual differences in the finance options?

Thanks

Also I'm sure their website would have some answers but my internet at work is so slow it's struggles to load a page with a few gifs let alone the Audi website.

Audi are about 5% interest on new and 8-9% on used. Much cheaper borrowing with a personal loan. On a new car it's swings and roundabouts though as they will give you a bigger discount if you take finance.

Reactions: DangerS3
I found getting discounts via websites like CarWow made my factory order actually cheaper than 1year old 'nearly new' used cars...

That coupled with the lower interest rate makes PCP quite decent. Don't think I would buy a new car without a considerable discount like the one I got though...

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and DangerS3
If your going new, don't buy straight off the dealer at sticker prices, do some online research first. Most main dealers will match internet pricing.

I used Broadspeed on the S7, but there are loads out there (Google new car discount)

If they price match, you can still use their financing products.

Cheers for the replies guys. So press for the discount then.
We'd probably go new as I think the missus would want to chop it in after 3 years. These new car discount sites, do you need to register with them to give them to a dealer?
Audi are currently offering £5k towards a new TT if you take up their finance deal, so do you think they would try and wiggle out of a discount with this in mind?

Cheers for the replies guys. So press for the discount then.
We'd probably go new as I think the missus would want to chop it in after 3 years. These new car discount sites, do you need to register with them to give them to a dealer?
Audi are currently offering £5k towards a new TT if you take up their finance deal, so do you think they would try and wiggle out of a discount with this in mind?

Broadspeed and Orangewheels will give you ideas of discounts without registering, but you need to register to see how the discounts change with regard to adding options.

I found CarWow to be very good. You do need to register, but you can put in your desired model and spec, and over a few days dealers will come back with their best discount offers. These include finance/Audi contributions. For example, I think you will find offers of around £5.5k for the TT, which is £5k from the Audi contribution, and an extra £500 in discount from that particular dealer.

The A/S5 models have discounts of around 18% if your OH is interested in a slightly more practical 2door Coupe?

18% ****** hell. Tbh we didn't actually see any in there at the time, although I kind of ruled them out due to the higher starting price (I want quattro if it's going to replace my S3) and they start at £38k but taking 18% off it could be doable.

I thought dealers offered better than £500 discount.

Awesome I'll try them rather than ask you loads of questions, although one last question, when you said with CarWow the dealers come back with their offers, do they contact you direct or just through your account page?

Think they start at £42k....! My final spec was a S5 Black Ed. with folding mirrors, Sepang paint and the Tech Pack (for some ridiculous reason Sat Nav isn't standard...) and that came in at £47k. Managed to get it for £38.5k. Obviously when it comes to pretend money using PCP the deposit/monthlies might be similar because the difference between the price and GFV is lower (i.e. you are paying capital back on a smaller proportion). Interestingly I found monthlies were cheaper on 24months with the despot I put down compared to 36/48, which suited me as I don't think I will be needing the car past 24months.

Yea you get messages via the CarWow website. I just took the cheapest quote to my local dealer and said I would order now if they match it. First local said no, second said yes! David me a trip to Coventry Audi (they were the cheapest for me)!

Oh it wouldn't be an S5 lol she wouldn't have that. Something nearer to £30k would be better but £38.5k is a really good deal.

It's a bit of a mine field then really, give with one and take with the other.

You've be a great help though dude, appreciate it.

*runs off to register with CarWow*

Reactions: DrEskimo
Oh it wouldn't be an S5 lol she wouldn't have that. Something nearer to £30k would be better but £38.5k is a really good deal.

It's a bit of a mine field then really, give with one and take with the other.

You've be a great help though dude, appreciate it.

*runs off to register with CarWow*

No problem buddy. Let us know how you get on!

Test drive the S5 though... ;)