New Car Time

lgooch

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So the time has come to order a new company car.

They initially said diesels only, but with the government demonising diesels and I have to keep the car 5 years, its likely the tax rates for BIK will shoot up and you wont be able to drive it around a town centre anytime soon.

So I am looking at the 1.4TFSI COD to keep the emissions down and I have been looking at SLine and Black Edition Specs

There really is not much difference other than the rims, black styling pack and *** between each car. I am not really a fan of the titanium BE rims and seeing as I am ordering either a black car feel the SLine rims set it off nicely and I will be specifying the B&O anyway.

I cannot believe how difficult it is to get the car you really want given the options available and cap on list price. You see one thing and then think, hang on to get that I have to sacrifice something else. i.e. Tech Pack with cockpit vs a DSG. My last A3 8P had everything on the Black Edition but this time they don't seem to have thrown the options list at the BE over the SLine and question whether it is worth the money.

I think at the moment I am looking at the Sline with Privacy Glass, Tech Pack + Cockpit, Comfort Pack and wing mirror extras rather than a BE with just Tech Pack and Comfort Pack which will oddly cost me £ 350out of my own pocket.

I really do wonder about Audis pricing nowadays. I have looked at a Golf GTD which has everything in it for the same price as the SLine, but for some reason the VW engine bangs out more C02 and costs more in Tax than the equivalent Audi. :-(

Arrgghhh - Nightmare. I think at this stage I would rather keep my 8p.

Do you have the option of taking an allowance over a car?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not really. If I pushed I probably could, but I doubt the company would give a decent allowance, hence me looking to reduce my overall tax allowance by going for a lean burn petrol. My sums tell me that £ 180 in BIK for this year and edging up to £ 280 per month BIK in 5 years time.

I do however think that given government taxation on company car drivers, it is no longer a perk and this will be my last company car. Probably cheaper to just fund my own in 5 years even with no allowance forth coming.

I was lucky then when I was last a permie. My allowance was £450 a month plus I had a fuel card. Obviously I went out and got a 6.0 V8 Monaro . Anything less would have been rude.

None of which really help you unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: richinsoton, Tom.H and Milnesafc
Have you looked at the A4 S-Line 2.0T?? Well specced and decent value in petrol guise.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Not really. If I pushed I probably could, but I doubt the company would give a decent allowance, hence me looking to reduce my overall tax allowance by going for a lean burn petrol. My sums tell me that £ 180 in BIK for this year and edging up to £ 280 per month BIK in 5 years time.

I do however think that given government taxation on company car drivers, it is no longer a perk and this will be my last company car. Probably cheaper to just fund my own in 5 years even with no allowance forth coming.

I was in exactly the same position in December- decided to go with another company car as for me it worked out slightly cheaper (due to company negotiated discount). I will have my sline for 3 years and then due to the BIK though this will probably be my last (rising 2% every year!).

I would have loved a bigger engine but it's the emissions that kills it so went smaller with more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lgooch
Can I ask why tech pack is a must? It's an expensive option that hasn't really got much bang for its buck if your looking to save money in places

Reactions: lgooch
I was in exactly the same position in December- decided to go with another company car as for me it worked out slightly cheaper (due to company negotiated discount). I will have my sline for 3 years and then due to the BIK though this will probably be my last (rising 2% every year!).

I would have loved a bigger engine but it's the emissions that kills it so went smaller with more options.

Stuck with mine for 5 years as I don't do many business miles. Hence why the emissions is paramount.

Can I ask why tech pack is a must? It's an expensive option that hasn't really got much bang for its buck if your looking to save money in places

For me went tech pack for the Nav Plus with 3 years connect, phone box (which enables 2 Bluetooth phone connections which is a must for me - work and personal). And the tech plus as virtual cockpit looks awesome!

I have thought about dropping the tech pack and replacing it with a DSG gearbox. Not really sure if the standard sat nav is any good though and the virtual cockpit is awesome. I may have to drop it anyway as they only allow 10% of the base price as options. It's a real challenge with the car scheme. They just want you in boggo fleet cars

Have you looked at the A4 S-Line 2.0T?? Well specced and decent value in petrol guise.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Emissions and a £33k car which is waaaayyyy above my limit of around £29k. If you are getting an a4 as a company vehicle you want the 99g/km ultra diesel. Guess what. That's over my limit as well unless I stump up 2k which I don't get back.

I have thought about dropping the tech pack and replacing it with a DSG gearbox. Not really sure if the standard sat nav is any good though and the virtual cockpit is awesome. I may have to drop it anyway as they only allow 10% of the base price as options. It's a real challenge with the car scheme. They just want you in boggo fleet cars

Luckily my company has no limit on the options (just have to pay a little each month if it goes above my allowance)

I was undecided between DSG and tech pack but in the end I figured I would enjoy virtual cockpit more and I am used to manual.

Finalised my spec

Sport back Black Edition
1.4tfsi
Brilliant Black paint
Comfort pack
Tech pack inc Virtual Cockpit
Dimming interior mirror
Folding and dimming wing mirrors

Going to cost me £ 675 on collection

Didn't really see the point of any other options as I am capable of driving a car on the motorway, operating my lights and cruise manually and parking my car myself.

Reactions: pastey
Finalised my spec

Sport back Black Edition
1.4tfsi
Brilliant Black paint
Comfort pack
Tech pack inc Virtual Cockpit
Dimming interior mirror
Folding and dimming wing mirrors

Going to cost me £ 675 on collection

Didn't really see the point of any other options as I am capable of driving a car on the motorway, operating my lights and cruise manually and parking my car myself.

Good spec!