New car spec and a couple of questions

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok so I'm planning on switching from my current S3 to an A4. Bit larger, more practical, better interior, updated tech and overall cheaper to run. Just won't be quite as much fun but hey.

Spec I'm looking at is the A4 Avant 2.0TFSI S-Line S-Tronic with Comfort&Sound, Storage Pack and Navarra Blue metallic paint. This will be a straight personal lease.

Unfortunately it seems Audi have moved away from the smorgasbord of options towards a few basic packs and very limited option choices. I hear this is due to EU emissions regs but who knows. I do know that picking and choosing all the individual little options was half the fun. Still it seems the S-Line with those two option packs covers pretty much everything I'd want or need.

Couple of questions though.

I presume the Google Maps functionality that has been reported here only affects older models and new cars won't have any issues with this going forward? I've just lost this myself on my S3 so know what a pain it is.

It seems the phone box option which provides the wireless charging pad under the armrest is only available on the Vorsprung model and can't be added to any other trim, is that correct? Also is this required for wireless Carplay or does that work on all models?

I've generally not been a fan of the full keyless systems due to security concerns but will effectively get this foisted on me by the C&S pack. Do we know whether Audi have implemented the motion sensors in their fobs that stop them transmitting when left stationary or will I need to start putting my keys in a metal box every night?

The Hill Hold Assist function refers to keeping the car stationary on inclines but does it actually hold the car against 'auto creep' on a level surface too, as does the system in my S3?

Thanks for any input, might think of more things soon :)

Hi all,

Ok so I'm planning on switching from my current S3 to an A4. Bit larger, more practical, better interior, updated tech and overall cheaper to run. Just won't be quite as much fun but hey.

Spec I'm looking at is the A4 Avant 2.0TFSI S-Line S-Tronic with Comfort&Sound, Storage Pack and Navarra Blue metallic paint. This will be a straight personal lease.

Unfortunately it seems Audi have moved away from the smorgasbord of options towards a few basic packs and very limited option choices. I hear this is due to EU emissions regs but who knows. I do know that picking and choosing all the individual little options was half the fun. Still it seems the S-Line with those two option packs covers pretty much everything I'd want or need.

Couple of questions though.

I presume the Google Maps functionality that has been reported here only affects older models and new cars won't have any issues with this going forward? I've just lost this myself on my S3 so know what a pain it is.

It seems the phone box option which provides the wireless charging pad under the armrest is only available on the Vorsprung model and can't be added to any other trim, is that correct? Also is this required for wireless Carplay or does that work on all models?

I've generally not been a fan of the full keyless systems due to security concerns but will effectively get this foisted on me by the C&S pack. Do we know whether Audi have implemented the motion sensors in their fobs that stop them transmitting when left stationary or will I need to start putting my keys in a metal box every night?

The Hill Hold Assist function refers to keeping the car stationary on inclines but does it actually hold the car against 'auto creep' on a level surface too, as does the system in my S3?

Thanks for any input, might think of more things soon :)
Hi Vertigo1, I’d download the owners handbook and check the comfort access. One of the great features of the S4 I just sold that had the comfort & access pack was that you could turn the ‘open’ part of the comfort access off (i.e. you needed the keyfob in proximity to the car .. couldn’t just put your hand on the handle ) in the MMI, but keep the comfort access lock working (grab handle and it locked ). I assume you are having a b9.5 facelift so don’t know if that carried over from the 9.0 . It’s Friday and I have a bit of brain fog - not sure if this solves the security issue .

Hi Vertigo1, I’d download the owners handbook and check the comfort access. One of the great features of the S4 I just sold that had the comfort & access pack was that you could turn the ‘open’ part of the comfort access off (i.e. you needed the keyfob in proximity to the car .. couldn’t just put your hand on the handle ) in the MMI, but keep the comfort access lock working (grab handle and it locked ). I assume you are having a b9.5 facelift so don’t know if that carried over from the 9.0 . It’s Friday and I have a bit of brain fog - not sure if this solves the security issue .

Thanks, yes it'll be a new one so B9.5 MY2021 etc. Any idea whereabouts I can download the manual from as that would be very handy to read.

Difficult unless someone has shared a pdf online somewhere. It is available to download through myaudi but only as a online version.
Also they used to provide a version on a dvd with the car you could upload to the MMI but I don't know if that's the case anymore...

Well done, I don't actually need one..
it’s not for you, it’s for the OP who clearly cannot check the MMI as he doesn’t have a vehicle yet .

Reactions: Vertigo1 and cuke2u
Turning the ‘open’ part of the comfort access off is an option on my current car. However, it wasn't available on my previous S-Line (MY2017).

Not tempted by getting a used low mileage S4 instead on PCP? They tend to be holding their money well due to the new ones being diesel. When I sold my S3 I couldn’t cope with a downgrade in power so ended up in a S5 :tearsofjoy: Saying that the A4 cabin will be an upgrade on a S3.

Anyway back to your original point, I don’t actually mind keyless entry and push to start, actually enjoy the novelty of not having to put the key in the ignition or faff trying to find it in my pocket when unlocking / locking the car. If you want peace of mind just make sure you get GAP Insurance. Not to sound snobby but an A4 is less desirable from a thieves point of view to steal compared to a S3/S4 etc so that minimises the risk from that perspective. Only change I’ve made is keeping my key in a faraday pouch at night, £10 for two off Amazon.

Hill hold assist is the version that keeps your handbrake on when you come to a stop so the car won’t creep forward like a standard auto does, really useful feature and hated not having it in my old S3 after having used it before. Luckily my S5 has it fitted again :)

it’s not for you, it’s for the OP who clearly cannot check the MMI as he doesn’t have a vehicle yet .

And the OP thanks you :)

Not tempted by getting a used low mileage S4 instead on PCP? They tend to be holding their money well due to the new ones being diesel. When I sold my S3 I couldn’t cope with a downgrade in power so ended up in a S5 :tearsofjoy: Saying that the A4 cabin will be an upgrade on a S3.

To be honest I'm looking to save a bit on insurance and running costs as the S3 has been ruinous in this regard. The A4 40TFSI should still be reasonably nippy whilst a fair bit cheaper to run and insure and taking the opportunity to upsize both for practicality and the fact that I can't stand the new A3, it's completely ghastly inside and out.

Anyway back to your original point, I don’t actually mind keyless entry and push to start, actually enjoy the novelty of not having to put the key in the ignition or faff trying to find it in my pocket when unlocking / locking the car. If you want peace of mind just make sure you get GAP Insurance. Not to sound snobby but an A4 is less desirable from a thieves point of view to steal compared to a S3/S4 etc so that minimises the risk from that perspective. Only change I’ve made is keeping my key in a faraday pouch at night, £10 for two off Amazon.

To be fair I think keyless is a lot more secure now than it used to be a few years ago. It always struck me as only slightly more convenience in exchange for massively reduced security but probably a lot better now. I was just curious whether Audi had adopted the motion-sensor fobs yet so I didn't have to worry about hiding the key in a metal box all the time to prevent relay attacks.

Not snobby at all on the insurance issue, the S3 is one of the most stolen cars in the country which is why the insurance is such a pain. I always get GAP insurance and will do so on the A4.

Hill hold assist is the version that keeps your handbrake on when you come to a stop so the car won’t creep forward like a standard auto does, really useful feature and hated not having it in my old S3 after having used it before. Luckily my S5 has it fitted again :)

Brilliant, was hoping it was that as I have it in the S3 and couldn't live without it on an S-Tronic. Just Audi's poor naming making it seem like it's only for 'hills' and not level surfaces.

Reactions: Bells
Thanks for the feedback all, after shopping around it does look like I'll be going for this spec, with the addition of the 10-spoke Turbine wheels as I can't stand the standard 5-spokes.

PCP can't get close this time so just a straight lease. Looking to order at the end of March for July/August delivery.

Of course this means I'll have to dispose of the S3 separately when the A4 arrives. Will likely end up flogging it to a dealer for cash or one of the car-buying companies.

Reactions: Bells
Thanks for the feedback all, after shopping around it does look like I'll be going for this spec, with the addition of the 10-spoke Turbine wheels as I can't stand the standard 5-spokes.

PCP can't get close this time so just a straight lease. Looking to order at the end of March for July/August delivery.

Of course this means I'll have to dispose of the S3 separately when the A4 arrives. Will likely end up flogging it to a dealer for cash or one of the car-buying companies.
PM me nearer the time mate, I’ll pass you the details of the guys that bought my S3 last year for cash, were great to deal with and were the best price by a long way.
And the OP thanks you :)

To be honest I'm looking to save a bit on insurance and running costs as the S3 has been ruinous in this regard. The A4 40TFSI should still be reasonably nippy whilst a fair bit cheaper to run and insure and taking the opportunity to upsize both for practicality and the fact that I can't stand the new A3, it's completely ghastly inside and out.
Ah that’s fair enough mate just wondered if you’d considered an S4 instead, although like you say can’t get round the running costs with fuel and insurance etc haha

A4 will be a nice upgrade interior wise on the S3, they are solid cars. Honestly not too sure what Audi are doing with the new A3/S3 it’s a very poor attempt, I don’t like the styling either inside or out that’s why I chopped my old one in and jumped back to a S5, think I’ll be keeping it for a while and enjoy the V6, as my next car may well be electric if I don’t change cars in the next 4-5 years.

Reactions: Vertigo1 and Mkay315
PM me nearer the time mate, I’ll pass you the details of the guys that bought my S3 last year for cash, were great to deal with and were the best price by a long way.

Cheers, will do.

A4 will be a nice upgrade interior wise on the S3, they are solid cars. Honestly not too sure what Audi are doing with the new A3/S3 it’s a very poor attempt, I don’t like the styling either inside or out that’s why I chopped my old one in and jumped back to a S5, think I’ll be keeping it for a while and enjoy the V6, as my next car may well be electric if I don’t change cars in the next 4-5 years.

Yeah I've never really needed anything larger than the A3/S3 but the A4 isn't that much bigger really and going Avant because it looks better and the extra practicality will come in handy at times. The interior and tech are obviously a step up from mine due to being a more modern car and a step up the range and I do like my gadgets.

Reactions: cuke2u and Bells