New car - rubbing noise from steering?

kiz17

Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first post here so apologies if I ask something stupid or something that has been answered before.

I recently bought an Audi A3 1.8 TFSI S Line 3 door on a 57 plate which I’m loving. I’ve changed the tail lights to the facelift ones which has made it look even better!

It seems to be a faultless car so far, after buying it I drove it 4-5 hours home without a single issue. However, since owning it a few days and spent more time with the car I’ve noticed noises coming from the steering when turning at very low speeds and even when turning the steering whilst stationery.

To me it sounds like something is rubbing, it isn’t a harsh sound i.e clunking/popping. The car has mudflaps so I thought the wheel might be catching them but there is plenty of clearance.

In terms of how the car steers it’s perfectly fine - it doesn’t pull to one side, it doesn’t rattle/wobble and it’s fine over speed bumps/pot holes.

The previous owners had it SORN for 3 months and didn’t drive it, so could it just be a matter of greasing the suspension, rubber boots etc? Also should I be looking out for other signs that it might be something serious, or something that could turn into a problem if not attended to.

This is my first post on any forum site so go easy haha!

Any help would be massively appreciate!

Many thanks

Hi and Welcome to this excellent forum :)

It's very hard to diagnose an issue like this without actually hearing/seeing the car for yourself.

It could be a number of items causing the noise. (Bushings, Steering rack, Tie Rods, Ball Joints, Power Steering, etc, etc) Have you checked your power steering fluid level and checked for leaks?

Your best bet, is take it down to your local garage and get them to assess it. Otherwise, we can only guess.

Reactions: kiz17
Hello

Thank you for your reply, it’s very much appreciated!

I’ve just checked over my car now and noticed that the front left tyre is a different size to the other three - could this be causing the noise?

The front left is: 235/40/18
While the other three are: 225/40/18

I guess either way I’m going to have to change the odd tyre. I find it very odd how the tyre fitter put an odd size tyre on in the first place - I hope it gets rid of the noise!

Once I get the front two tyres changed I’ll post an update on here on whether the noise goes or not.

Thanks again for your help :)

The odd tyre shouldn't make any more noise than the correct size one, though obviously it wants changing as it can affect handling etc.

If it's not been used for a few months, suspension top mounts are a likely culprit. It might just be noise from the steering motor and no issue at all though.

Hello again

Thanks for the advice TitaniumTom, I’ve just checked the suspension top mounts and they both seem good, thanks though because I didn’t think of checking those before you suggested it!

I’ve just came back from the garage and they advised there was play in the CV joint near the drive shaft or something. I’ve since looked at my MOT history and back in December 2017 it had the following advisory:
  • Nearside Outer Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.5.C.1a)
Would I be right in assuming that this is more than likely my problem? To rectify the above advisory would this be the right thing to order/fit: https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...29f6bb80e4c5884f7d423b95be522f91167e8d&000095

I would again be very appreciated of any help! :)

Yeah, if the CV gaiter got worse after the advisory, it could let in water and grit which ruins the CV joints.

That is the correct part but QDrive isn't a quality brand, if you're intending to keep the car a while I'd suggest buying a more expensive one, or buying a genuine used complete driveshaft from a newer/lower mileage car.

That will most likely be the cause of the noise.

Previous seller may not have bothered doing it as it was not letting in dirt.

Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll change the CV joint tomorrow and hope all is ok. I’ll feedback once done to let you know and in case other people stumble across this thread with similar issues.

Cheers for the heads up on the cheap part TitaniumTom, I’ll probably go for this one https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...f883da8f4df1b1bff2c267c8292b77e14e44e3&000095

JRock247 - I think you’re right, just unfortunate it gets worse when I own it haha! Oh well it’s a cheap fix I suppose.

Hi all

Just an update. I’ve replaced the CV joint but the noise is still there!! There’s no noise or play coming from the other side either, the drive shaft and CV joints seem all good both sides.

The noise only happens when I’m turning right at low speeds/car park speeds - has anyone got any other suggestions as to what it could be? I’ve even checked to see if it’s the steering wheel itself but it’s not that either!