New Car Queries

Proc81

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post so be gentle :laugh:

Recently picked my first Audi (2018 A3 Sportback 1.5tfsi), been a long time since I have owned a VAG car, last was a 1st gen Leon Cupra many moons ago. Still playing about with it and enjoying the car, but have a few questions, that have probably been answered before so apologies, but not had time to fully read up on the forums yet.

1. After taking ownership, realising the listed parking sensors are just the audible rear ones, is there any way for this to be displayed on the screen? Had someone try programming it with VCDS but didn't work. From what I've read I may need front ones as well, so would have to look at a retrofit option?
2. I seen a couple of threads on map/firmware updates, are these still possible without spending extortionate amounts with Audi for them? Also how do I check what version infotainment system is in the car?
3. Are there decent replacements for the windscreen washer jets and the rear one/wiper, as the 3-spray front aren't great and the rear is next to useless.

I've probably missed something, but like I say still playing around so may be more questions to come! ;)

The wiper jets is an easy one, use the a6 spray mist type which is a straight swap over. Part numbers below
4G0955987A left
4G0955988A right
I would advise using oem parts as copies can be a bit dodgy.
The visual display with rears was only possible on pfl models, on fl you need front sensors as well.
Map/firmware updates are possible with a patch enabling free map updates, be careful as this should be done with great care to prevent bricking your mmi unit. Do you not have apple car play and android auto you could use instead, you can use google maps or Waze through these for upto date mapping and traffic updates.

Reactions: Proc81
the rear is next to useless.
The jet is probably blocked - happens when you use cheap screenwash. You can poke a safety pin down the washer jet hole, if its still blocked, remove the cover and clean out the jet (it just levers off with a flathead).

The wiper jets is an easy one, use the a6 spray mist type which is a straight swap over. Part numbers below
4G0955987A left
4G0955988A right
I would advise using oem parts as copies can be a bit dodgy.
The visual display with rears was only possible on pfl models, on fl you need front sensors as well.
Map/firmware updates are possible with a patch enabling free map updates, be careful as this should be done with great care to prevent bricking your mmi unit. Do you not have apple car play and android auto you could use instead, you can use google maps or Waze through these for upto date mapping and traffic updates.
That's great, I will look at replacing the washers.
Shame about the parking sensors, maybe have to look at retrofitting options near me.
Yes I have found I can use Carplay, took me ages to realise where the usb were in the armrest :laugh: just would have been nice to have updated nav and firmware.

Shame about the parking sensors, maybe have to look at retrofitting options near me.

Rear camera and front PDC retrofit comes highly recommended if you only have rears like I did on my FL. Feels like a complete system now I've got the front+rear sensors and rear camera, worth every penny to get installed. I can highly recommend VAGPro based in Oadby Leicester for all your retrofitting goodness, used him a few times now and always top quality workmanship ;) see here for the main work he did on my FL S3.

20200829_124636Small.jpg

20200829_123953Small.jpg

Last edited:
Rear camera and front PDC retrofit comes highly recommended if you only have rears like I did on my FL. Feels like a complete system now I've got the front+rear sensors and rear camera, worth every penny to get installed. I can highly recommend VAGPro based in Oadby Leicester for all your retrofitting goodness, used him a few times now and always top quality workmanship ;) see here for the main work he did on my FL S3.

20200829_124636Small.jpg

20200829_123953Small.jpg
Do you mind me asking how much that cost?

I had a number of retrofits completed all in one hit so can't give you an exact figure but can confirm all genuine parts were used. It was also back in mid-2020 so prices may well have increased. I would advise you contact VAGPro directly for a price see here.

Just to say had a read through your thread about picking up your S3 and all the mods and things you e done with it, given me a few ideas and also just simple stuff like knowing which wipers to get etc, great read.

Reactions: Harvey