New car - noisy fan after turning engine off

MrMoo28

Reaction score
Hi,

I collected my new A3 1.6 TDI yesterday (may post pics after this snow has cleared) and I noticed after driving 40 mins yesterday to a colleagues house after I turned the engine off and got out the car there was loud fan noises coming from the engine. These went on for a couple of minutes.

Similarly stopped at some lights and stop/start kicked in, the rev needle dropped to 'ready' but loud fan noises could be heard whereas other times it was silent.

Any ideas what this could be, this is first Audi but second diesel, the last didn't do this nor petrol corsa before that. I've emailed the dealer anyway but thought I could post here too.

Thanks

Ah great thanks I'll have a read. I've not heard of DPF before so all new to me. I just got a bit worried :s

Dealer just phoned me too to explain. All good :)

On a side note, I'd get into the habit of turning the stop/start off, especially on short journeys.

I do a 35 mile a road commute so stop start will rarely kick in anyway. Clocked 250 miles on the car already as I've had to work away up north for the rest of the week. Car will have over 500 miles on the clock by the time I get home Friday :(

With a 35 mile commute you should have no problems. The problems are most prevalent on cars used for short journeys where it doesn't get up to temperature for long enough.

Mine does the same. Did it more when I first bought it but now not so much. Only once a month if I'm lucky. I have the same engine as you.

I created the second post mentioned above ^^. The guys on here let me know it's normal so don't worry :) I did at first with how loud it was.