New car help needed!

BIGA3T

Reaction score
Hi,

I' have a AUDI a5 2.7tdi, the cars done 69k miles but has full service history from AUDI, so it's been looked after.

I was thinking to upgrade the turbo to the one they use in the Audi A5 3.0tdi.

The turbo is plug and play, only a remap and maybe an intercooler is needed.

However I was thinking whether or not the multitronic will be able to cope with that much extra power/torque.

As I will be Hoping to get it remapped to around 280bhp.

Thanks!

I think the multitronic is 500Nm but I may be wrong. If this is true it won't handle the GTB2260VK turbo as I'm kicking out over 700Nm. I think you have 2 smaller intercoolers, one at either side, instead of one lower front mount like the 3ltr has, this could be more of a pain to sort the pipe work out when converting to an aftermarket.

Reactions: BIGA3T
The A5 2.7 TDI uses the same FMIC as the 3.0 TDI so no issues there

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a5-s5-coupe-sportback-a5co-eu-2009-14595-charge-air-cooler/

I am not sure what the torque rating is on a multitronic gearbox, If it is 500Nm then you will be able to get 280 bhp as 500Nm is 369 Lb/ft, using the calculator here

http://www.1728.org/mtrtrq.htm

369 Lb/ft of torque at 4000 RPM equates to around 281 bhp.
So if your mapper can limit the torque to 500Nm through to 4K RPM you will be making 280 bhp. Not that difficult for somebody who knows what they are doing.

Your bigger problem will be managing 280bhp through the front wheels on what is quite a heavy car. This is the reason Audi make all 3.0 TDI's 4WD.

The A5 2.7 TDI uses the same FMIC as the 3.0 TDI so no issues there

http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a5-s5-coupe-sportback-a5co-eu-2009-14595-charge-air-cooler/

I am not sure what the torque rating is on a multitronic gearbox, If it is 500Nm then you will be able to get 280 bhp as 500Nm is 369 Lb/ft, using the calculator here

http://www.1728.org/mtrtrq.htm

369 Lb/ft of torque at 4000 RPM equates to around 281 bhp.
So if your mapper can limit the torque to 500Nm through to 4K RPM you will be making 280 bhp. Not that difficult for somebody who knows what they are doing.

Your bigger problem will be managing 280bhp through the front wheels on what is quite a heavy car. This is the reason Audi make all 3.0 TDI's 4WD.

Thank you for your help! And I'll just take it easy off the line ;) haha.

I think the multitronic is 500Nm but I may be wrong. If this is true it won't handle the GTB2260VK turbo as I'm kicking out over 700Nm. I think you have 2 smaller intercoolers, one at either side, instead of one lower front mount like the 3ltr has, this could be more of a pain to sort the pipe work out when converting to an aftermarket.

Thanks for your help!

Wouldn't it be easier to take the money on the turbo etc and simply put it towards a 3.0TDi? Apologies if I'm missing the point but I think that would likely be more cost effective in the long run. If it's just because you can then fair play to you. :)

Wouldn't it be easier to take the money on the turbo etc and simply put it towards a 3.0TDi? Apologies if I'm missing the point but I think that would likely be more cost effective in the long run. If it's just because you can then fair play to you. :)

Nope!

A 3.0tdi with same spec and year as mine will cost way way way way way more than a turbo upgrade with a remap and intercooler.

With turbo upgrade Im looking at max £1000

£250 turbo

£100 for fitting

£130 for intercooler

£60 for fitting

And custom remap £400

I can't find a 3.0tdi with same spec as mine

Sat Nav
Heated seats leather
19" alloys
B&O
Front and rear parking sensors
Audi drive control
Xenons
Pan roof
Cruise
Folding Mirrors
Auto
Paddle shift
Dolphin grey
Auto bootlid opening
Multifunction steering wheel

Full AUDI dealer service history, and one previous owner!

If you find that for me in an AUDI a5 3.0tdi and I only have to pay £1000 on top of mine! I will get it with my eyes closed! :)

Also as Im 20 the insurance on 3.0tdi is way more, and 2.7tdi is relatively better on fuel.

And I don't care about Quattro as Im not going to be doing rallying on the streets of yorkshire LOL. I just wanted overtaking power and when on a straight road wanted Abit of fun!

Reactions: Shrek5
Not sure what you paid for yours (or exact year etc) but this 2.7TDi (without B&O) is comparable with this 3.0TDi (with B&O) which is £1500 more.

In fairness I thought your turbo would cost about 50-100% more than what it's costing you. With regards to insurance costs have you confirmed quotes with a 2.7 remap vs standard 3.0 TDi? Just wondered if the difference is that big. Please do declare it as well otherwise you are technically uninsured and driving illegally. Sorry to be the boring old fart to mention that aspect. ;)

Not sure what you paid for yours (or exact year etc) but this 2.7TDi (without B&O) is comparable with this 3.0TDi (with B&O) which is £1500 more.

In fairness I thought your turbo would cost about 50-100% more than what it's costing you. With regards to insurance costs have you confirmed quotes with a 2.7 remap vs standard 3.0 TDi? Just wondered if the difference is that big. Please do declare it as well otherwise you are technically uninsured and driving illegally. Sorry to be the boring old fart to mention that aspect. ;)

Mod declared, and 3.0tdi is still £68.90 more a month than the 2.7

Also just spoke to local garage, he will fit the turbo and intercooler for £120 so that's another saving.

Also if I want to change to 3.0tdi I have to add extra £180 upfront for insurance and then £68.90 more a month.

And mines an 11 plate. And I paid just under 13k for mine, got it cheap as the guy was going abroad and needed money urgently and I had cash waiting.

Reactions: Shrek5

btw the turbo mod only brought insurance up by £9.60 a month. And when I do upgrade to a more powerful car it won't be 3.0tdi it will be the 3.0tfis s5, wanting to save up and cash it out like I do with all my cars!:)

Sounds like you've got your bases covered then. ;) Quite surprised that there's such a jump between the 2.7 and 3.0. Going from the 3.0TDi to the 3.0TFSi of the S5 was actually the same price for me which was odd.

Sounds like you've got your bases covered then. ;) Quite surprised that there's such a jump between the 2.7 and 3.0. Going from the 3.0TDi to the 3.0TFSi of the S5 was actually the same price for me which was odd.

Insurance in yorkshire is mad, due the amount of dodgy/ illegal claims etc.

I was paying 250 a month for a bmw 3 series a year ago

Nope!

A 3.0tdi with same spec and year as mine will cost way way way way way more than a turbo upgrade with a remap and intercooler.

With turbo upgrade Im looking at max £1000

£250 turbo

£100 for fitting

£130 for intercooler

£60 for fitting

And custom remap £400

I can't find a 3.0tdi with same spec as mine

Sat Nav
Heated seats leather
19" alloys
B&O
Front and rear parking sensors
Audi drive control
Xenons
Pan roof
Cruise
Folding Mirrors
Auto
Paddle shift
Dolphin grey
Auto bootlid opening
Multifunction steering wheel

Full AUDI dealer service history, and one previous owner!

If you find that for me in an AUDI a5 3.0tdi and I only have to pay £1000 on top of mine! I will get it with my eyes closed! :)

Also as Im 20 the insurance on 3.0tdi is way more, and 2.7tdi is relatively better on fuel.

And I don't care about Quattro as Im not going to be doing rallying on the streets of yorkshire LOL. I just wanted overtaking power and when on a straight road wanted Abit of fun!

What intercooler are you going for m8? I highly recommend the mishimoto J line, me and Karl (desert storm) have one fitted and it fits nicely not obstructing the radiator or crash bar. You handy with the spanners? Cos fitting the turbo and cooler is a piece of **** m8

What intercooler are you going for m8? I highly recommend the mishimoto J line, me and Karl (desert storm) have one fitted and it fits nicely not obstructing the radiator or crash bar. You handy with the spanners? Cos fitting the turbo and cooler is a piece of **** m8

Yeah that's the one I was recommended by Karl, will be ordering turbo and intercooler next month. And not really Lol, if you know anyone decent Im willing to travel as I need a custom map anyway. So if the person can do all three that would be great!