New car, first impressions

The Silverfox

Reaction score
I picked my 2.0 TDi 190 Ultra S Line S Tronic this morning. It is certainly a step up from my B8 SE Technik. Plenty more power and feels much more refined. I prefer the new gearbox over my previous Multitronic. There is much less wind noise on the motorway (I have the privacy option with acoustic glass). Sports suspension is not uncomfortable but I do notice it is more firm than my old car.

One minor disappointment is the lack of a sunglasses holder. My SE had a flick open drawer above the rear view mirror (I found it after having the car for about a year!). Is there a secret one somewhere that I'm missing?

Another niggle which I'm sure is just something I'm missing is I can't find how to alter the Bass and Treble for music played through Apple Car Play. I have the Audi Sound System which sounds fine with the radio but a bit tinny from Car Play. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: maui
Ha! I also wondered about the lack of sunglasses holder and found it strange? Is it a storage pack "feature"? Only place I could see on a test drive was on front of the cup holder there is an indented area which might serve well - but cluttered!

As for CarPlay - I personally disabled it in my extended test drive as you loose too many features (like calling / phonebook on virtual cockpit) and found the Interface too cumbersome without touch. Was you connected with USB in both cases as that can make a big difference.
Alternatively I believe you can set Equalizer setting on Apple Music and some 3rd party apps. You tried that?

Finally - many have said it takes time for both the Audi sound system to settle, and of course for your ears to adjust too! Give it a 1000 miles then see how you feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand why they removed the sunglasses holder, it's the only thing I miss from my old B8 A5

Oh to add a little more - DAB (and certainly FM) may also be more "lossy" (meaning it clips the top/bottom ends of the sound curve to save space) as it is generally compressed more than music you stream from your phone. Especially if you have the HQ setting selected in cloud based services just as iTunes Match or Spotify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no actual sunglasses holder, the a3 hasn't one either and one of my bugbares about the car. On some models of the a4 I think there is an additional storage space under the headlamp switch...

On some models of the a4 I think there is an additional storage space under the headlamp switch...

That would be the extended storage pack - It is rather disappointingly an optional extra but available on all models

I had another go with the sound settings and Car Play and found you have to use the MMI App on the Car Play screen and then select Sound. The Treble and Bass settings are in there.

Pleased to see I'm not the only one missing the sunglasses holder. I've put them on the small shelf behind the cup holders for now until I find a better place.