New Car Detailing

Detailing choices:

• Have a professional detailer to give it a full new car detailing in the dealership before collection

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Taking it to a professional detailer shortly after collection

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Giving it a new car detail yourself

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Not giving it any special treatment and just cleaning it when it gets dirty

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Selling it on three years down the line with an inch of caked on dirt on every surface

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

a3_phil

Reaction score
Whilst I certainly wouldn't consider myself any kind of detailer, I've always taken (sometimes infrequent) care of my cars by cleaning properly with two buckets and using polishes and waxes to try and keep the paintwork in good condition.

With this in mind I was wondering what people's plans were when it came to collecting their new cars. Will you be:

1. Arranging for a professional detailer to give it a full new car detailing in the dealership itself. I understand a number of dealerships will leave all of the delivery protection on and let the detailer come and use the wash bay.
2. Taking it to a professional detailer shortly after collection for the same.
3. Giving it a new car detail yourself, i.e. the full clean, IronX, polish, sealant, wax etc.
4. Not giving it any special treatment and just cleaning it when it gets dirty.
or
5. Selling it on three years down the line with an inch of caked on dirt on every surface.

For those who've already collected, what's the standard like in the dealership itself? I've seen numerous horror stories about dealers leaving proper scratched in swirl marks all over brand new cars so I'm weighing up whether it's worth the cost to have someone do it properly.

I'm hardly particularly anal about keeping my cars clean but this will be my first new car so I'm keen to start from a good base.

Voting options for the above at the top, but would be interested in your comments too.

Since mine will be a company car, it will be Option 4, however, if i was shelling out my own hard earned then probably Option 1 (toyed with that idea anyway, but decided against).

I always like to keep my car clean but I need to be realistic as it will be doing 30-35k a year.

If I was to order another Audi again I would explicitly instruct the dealership to not even breath in the direction of the paintwork. My S3 looked like a spider had run riot over the paint for about 10 years!!!

Get it detailed and protected at the dealership by a pro and hope the PDI guy doesn't "help"!! That way there is no arguments from the dealer saying "they come with swirl marks from the factory!" :keule:

MY 2p

Reactions: Pulp84
Will be option 3 for me, unless I'm not happy with the Dealer prep. then I'll have option 2 on standby

When we collected our new MINI John Cooper Works in September 2013, I knew this particular dealer did extremely bad prep work and without fail always left black cars badly hologrammed

I told the Dealer I didn't want the paintwork touching when it came off the trailor and thankfully they obliged. The Sales person couldnt understand how we could collect a filthy brand new car lol

This is the detail I had done by a Pro-detailer on it. Was an option 2 ;)
Works Mini New Car Carpro C.Quartz Ceramic Protection Detail

Well worth the money IMO

I'm big into my detailing and when I get my car I'll be doing option 3, spend a couple of days on it and do it properly. Toyed with the idea of driving straight home and doing it but cars for driving so will get done when I can pry myself away from the steering wheel.

Also telling dealer to not touch or will cut off their hands lol, be interesting to see how dirty it is upon collection.

I'll be getting a dealer to do a protection detail on the car at the dealership followed by the application of some ventureshield.

I did ask my dealer about this and he gave me the confidence to let them prepare the car - and I was very happy when we took delivery.

I have since used Dodo Juice and Collinite to keep the paintwork looking good and there isn't sign of a swirl mark yet.

I'm a professional detailer, but when it comes to a new car i get a colleague to go and do it so I don't see it till collection day, if I went to detail my own car before collection it would annoy me as I like the whole new car experience

Reactions: Pulp84 and mcnallys
My dealer gets in a professional company to prep brand new cars which is actually fairly rare I think.

I was there today actually at my dealer and saw the local (highly recommended) detailing company prepping the brand new cars. So I know it's not BS. My car was swirl free on delivery. Perfect.

Two Polish guys (and this isn't a slam of where they are from) do the service cleans. They are not paid to take care cleaning cars. They use heavy brushes and do jobs as quickly as possible. Makes me shudder thinking about it actually. I make sure I remind the service department about 10 times - DO NOT WASH MY CAR. Lol.

Option 3 for me where I have a good knowledge and background in detailing. Have all the kit etc.

My dealer gets in a professional company to prep brand new cars which is actually fairly rare I think.

I was there today actually at my dealer and saw the local (highly recommended) detailing company prepping the brand new cars. So I know it's not BS. My car was swirl free on delivery. Perfect.

Two Polish guys (and this isn't a slam of where they are from) do the service cleans. They are not paid to take care cleaning cars. They use heavy brushes and do jobs as quickly as possible. Makes me shudder thinking about it actually. I make sure I remind the service department about 10 times - DO NOT WASH MY CAR. Lol.

Option 3 for me where I have a good knowledge and background in detailing. Have all the kit etc.

Stick some signs " do not wash " in the car, laminated if possibly. Gear stick, windows, etc.

Stick some signs " do not wash " in the car, laminated if possibly. Gear stick, windows, etc.

Yep. It was in today. Sticky label nicked from work on the steering wheel saying "DONT WASH THIS CAR", service guy is then told to write all over the job sheet the same and then when they call you to say the works been done to remind them again not to wash it.

I did all this before with my old A1 and Swindon Audi STILL washed it. Dullards. I will never go there again now. I have found by explaining to the service manager that last time it was washed it got scratched and I kicked off to Audi CS / the dealer principal seems to ensure it doesn't get washed.

Dealers with service / warranty work is a bit like a conveyor belt - they have a tick sheet to follow before releasing the car which means that they blindly follow it.

Swindon Audi didn't care on the day I picked it up. To be fair my A1 went in for a service just as I was getting rid of it. I already had my S3 on order so I just gritted my teeth and gave a very bad customer service review which they emailed through to me the next day. They did call me to be fair and offered to "inspect" the swirl but I couldn't be bothered taking it back.

I never use Swindon normally as they are pants but it was convenient at the time instead of going to my normal dealer. Lesson learnt lol.

Had a similar problem but with B'ham Audi, wow do they suck it doesn't matter whether you bring a cheap or expensive car they constantly give a **** service!

This thread's reminded me to say do not clean, some of the new Audi/VW's I have seen being picked up are shocking, paintwork badly swirled.

I tend to use Dodo Juice which does a nice job, Dr Leather wipes cleans well and Poorboy's for that matte look. A shiney leather seat and steering wheel = dirty not clean!!

I was v pleased with the new car prep for my sepang s3 from maidstone audi, not a mark or swirl on it! If they do it like that when it comes to service washes I'll happily leave it in their hands! Didn't need any more work but still got opt3...

Reactions: Pulp84
2012 S3 8P, 9 months never saw my hand with a wet sponge in it

2013 A5, 10 months never saw my hand with a wet sponge in it

2014 S3 8V, ? months will probably never see my hand with a wet sponge in it

that's what Polish people get paid for :)

and don't get PC on me, they love it and they know they do :)

Reactions: mickv and Pulp84
Slightly off topic. Some Latvians in a near by town have a very good American car wash operation. Almost looks fairly professional - £10 all in which is good value as they use traffic film remover, bilberry wheel cleaner and microfibre mitts / cloths.

No need for sponge in hand!

I let them clean mine but not polish it, they didn't even fit the number plates. I did that. As I'm a bit OCD about plates being level and central.
Can you believe that you pay tens of thousands for a new car and they cant even fit the number plates properly! The last A3 (8V) I bought from Audi Nottingham the plates were level but offset one way 25mm.

I then spent two days on it my garage, prepping it and using Zymol Glasur. Removing the wheels and painting the hubs and using special wax on the inside and outside of the wheels.

Trouble is the damn thing (not really) gets dirty and I have to spend several hours just cleaning it. I think up to now I've spent more time cleaning it than driving it. That's not right is it??????

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Pulp84
I let them clean mine but not polish it, they didn't even fit the number plates. I did that. As I'm a bit OCD about plates being level and central.
Can you believe that you pay tens of thousands for a new car and they cant even fit the number plates properly! The last A3 (8V) I bought from Audi Nottingham the plates were level but offset one way 25mm.

I then spent two days on it my garage, prepping it and using Zymol Glasur. Removing the wheels and painting the hubs and using special wax on the inside and outside of the wheels.

Trouble is the damn thing (not really) gets dirty and I have to spend several hours just cleaning it. I think up to now I've spent more time cleaning it than driving it. That's not right is it??????

No it's not but I can sympathise, mine getting a good drive 1st day though .

Detailing comes after...

2012 S3 8P, 9 months never saw my hand with a wet sponge in it

2013 A5, 10 months never saw my hand with a wet sponge in it

2014 S3 8V, ? months will probably never see my hand with a wet sponge in it

that's what Polish people get paid for :)

and don't get PC on me, they love it and they know they do :)

CRINGE, sponge alert!

Are we related? :friends:

I've had my S3 just over a month and done 200 miles. I need to get out more.

I've had my S3 just over a month and done 200 miles. I need to get out more.

Wow....thought I was bad. 1000 miles in 3 months for me.

I had major anxiety driving it home from the dealer today as heavy rain poured down 2 miles from home. First time been driven in the wet. Major detailing needed this weekend now. :sadlike:

Reactions: mickv
You're not a proper detailing freak until your detailing gear is worth more than your car.....:blink:

Reactions: mcnallys, steeve, a3_phil and 1 other person
I was v pleased with the new car prep for my sepang s3 from maidstone audi, not a mark or swirl on it! If they do it like that when it comes to service washes I'll happily leave it in their hands! Didn't need any more work but still got opt3...

Good to hear this about Maidstone Audi as that's where my S3 is ordered!

Managed 1000 miles in three weeks, and the car has been washed 3 times and the bonnet polished once - after a bird dropping incident :(

Pleased to here its not just me then :)

I've said all along if the dealer offered a service for a pro detailer to come in and prep your car rather than selling inflated products for £500 that 'seal' your car then loads of people would take it up.
Mazda once offered me autoglym for £500, being a keen detailer myself I went and bought the kit off eBay for £30 and did it myself. This time it will be matt from themattfinish doing a new car prep on mine.

Hmmm, I'm still in two minds between doing it myself after collection and getting a pro in pre-collection.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a detailer in the Peterborough area?

Also, does anyone have any experience of Peterborough Audi (Vindis group) in respect of their detailing standards on collection?

Hmmm, I'm still in two minds between doing it myself after collection and getting a pro in pre-collection.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a detailer in the Peterborough area?

Also, does anyone have any experience of Peterborough Audi (Vindis group) in respect of their detailing standards on collection?

If you are buying from the Vindis group, read this about their stickers/lettering on cars:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=209156

I did not buy from Vindis but my dealer had strict instruction not to even consider something like this.

John.

I am going to let my dealer prep the car, however, I will warn them that the paint work should not have any swirl marks on collection. I would be worried that if I took it un prepped and noticed any real issues after driving it home that it would be more difficult to make a successful complaint.

I was going to then get a professional to detail the car once home, however, after reading the following article I am now going to give it a go myself. The total cost of most of the products from the article is circa £350.

How To Detail A Brand New Car | Car Care Blog | Detailing Blog | Polished Bliss

Reactions: The Challinor
I'm due to take delivery of my new A3 Sportback at the end of October. How much should I expect to pay to get it detailed and paint protected from a professional detailer?

I don't really want "how long is a piece of string" answers please as I realise that you can pay 000's - but what is the most I really should be paying to have a brand new Sportback properly prepared?

Thanks.

Last edited:
As I've said in na other thread the usual cost for a new car detail is £300/£350

Cheers. Thanks very much. Roughly the same price that a dealership would charge to do a rubbish job then?

I am going to let my dealer prep the car, however, I will warn them that the paint work should not have any swirl marks on collection. I would be worried that if I took it un prepped and noticed any real issues after driving it home that it would be more difficult to make a successful complaint.

I was going to then get a professional to detail the car once home, however, after reading the following article I am now going to give it a go myself. The total cost of most of the products from the article is circa £350.

How To Detail A Brand New Car | Car Care Blog | Detailing Blog | Polished Bliss

A word of warning, if you don't have the technical know how you could end up leaving marks and lasting damage to the interior and exterior. I detail my own car, however having not used anything outside of Dodo Juice and Gtechniq wheel armour I don't want to mess things up so will be aiming to get a detailer.