New Button?? - Facelift

j0nny2013

Reaction score
So I was having another look at the face lift as I may be tempted to swap later on in the year if the RS3 Saloon doesn't come to the UK..

Anyway.... one thing that annoys the hell out of me is the fact my S3 Saloon doesnt allow me to open my boot from inside the cabin even though I can from my key fob!

I came across another button in this picture which looks like it could be this function!!

The display shows a saloon in the picture so looks promising.

What do you guys think?

Jonny

Attachments

• button.jpeg
    button.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 639
Where are you seeing an extra switch?....mind this is the convertible so there's an extra switch at the MMI control beside the hold assist for the roof??

www.supercarsofscotland.co.uk
Twitter: @supercarsofSCOT
Instagram: supercarsofscotland_uk

Reactions: Jassyo06
it was next to the park brake but good spot its a convertible so probably for the roof! DAMN! I really wish they would put a button in for this feature.

seems really daft every other model has it but the A3 variants.

Reactions: SW14NY'S
it was next to the park brake but good spot its a convertible so probably for the roof! DAMN! I really wish they would put a button in for this feature.

seems really daft every other model has it but the A3 variants.
the american spec current A3 saloons already do infact have this button, it us in the uk who dont!

the american spec current A3 saloons already do infact have this button, it us in the uk who dont!

Really?! that's ridiculous. I cannot see any justification to why they would feel they should take it off for the UK. Annoying

What's the extra switch behind the window switches in the arm rest?

I can't seem to see any paddle shifters on any S3 pictures either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the extra switch behind the window switches in the arm rest?

It'll be the window lock for the rear windows to stop infants from opening them.

It's a 'global open/close' button. When you push or pull it, it opens or closes all four windows at once. All the windows automatically close when you lower or raise the roof, too. Regarding the rear windows, somewhat bizarrely, there are actually no buttons in the back for the rear windows; the only person who can raise or lower them is the driver!

Reactions: pburv and SW14NY'S

They have to have them, but it could be because they have went in line with the others and went a lot smaller?

I'm just wondering why you want to open the boot from inside? At least why it's a big deal.
Mind you I love opening from across the car park with the fob. Had a woman nearly wet herself the other week!!

Reactions: WarwickL, Rob2k68 and pburv
I'm just wondering why you want to open the boot from inside? At least why it's a big deal.
Mind you I love opening from across the car park with the fob. Had a woman nearly wet herself the other week!!

My Dad's car has it so the boot opens fully if you press the switch on the inside. Useful if he's collecting someone from a train station and they have bags, can open the boot without getting out or pressing the key. Also good if you're waiting in a car while someone else is carrying shopping bags in both hands.

Also I think if you're inside the car then you can't open the boot unless you unlock all the doors? I'm sure there's good reasons for having one - most cars I've been in have had some sort of boot unlock/opening feature from within the car.

Reactions: Jassyo06
It's a 'global open/close' button. When you push or pull it, it opens or closes all four windows at once. All the windows automatically close when you lower or raise the roof, too. Regarding the rear windows, somewhat bizarrely, there are actually no buttons in the back for the rear windows; the only person who can raise or lower them is the driver!
Do you mean the rear windows in the cabriolet? because in my car (sedan) the rear passengers have access to the rear windows...:shrug:

Reactions: Rob2k68
My A4 B8 saloon had the switch below the driver door armrest,really useful particularly if the boot was wet or dirty. Should be standard across the saloon range and difficult to understand why it was not included when the 8V first came out

Reactions: j0nny2013

In some markets even the paddles are an option on top of DSG - can't figure that out myself !!

Reactions: Lisle91 and pburv
So I was having another look at the face lift as I may be tempted to swap later on in the year if the RS3 Saloon doesn't come to the UK..

Anyway.... one thing that annoys the hell out of me is the fact my S3 Saloon doesnt allow me to open my boot from inside the cabin even though I can from my key fob!

I came across another button in this picture which looks like it could be this function!!

The display shows a saloon in the picture so looks promising.

What do you guys think?

Jonny

You mean you don't have the trunk release button on the inside of your driver door?

That's kind of odd, just about every car has a trunk release button inside the car.

And nothing about that interior of that Cabriolet looks out of the ordinary from the current Cabriolet 8Vs.

Not a big deal really just annoying. Lots of times my lass has been outside getting shopping from boot and I cannot open it from inside but I can from outside. I do find it funny opening it when people are passing haha

You mean you don't have the trunk release button on the inside of your driver door?

That's kind of odd, just about every car has a trunk release button inside the car.

And nothing about that interior of that Cabriolet looks out of the ordinary from the current Cabriolet 8Vs.

Nope, No A3 / S3 Saloons have any truck release buttons. I have no idea why as every other model does!

Yeah I didn't realise it was a cabriolet when I first posted. I just got excited when I seen a button I hadn't seen before!

Nope, No A3 / S3 Saloons have any truck release buttons. I have no idea why as every other model does!

Yeah I didn't realise it was a cabriolet when I first posted. I just got excited when I seen a button I hadn't seen before!

Well it's on our sedans, your "saloons". Have you checked your passenger side door? Perhaps Audi goofed and didn't put it on the driver door like they left the push-button engine start on the wrong side for you.

really? I didn't know that! I haven't seen anything when cleaning it. Wouldn't be much point having it all away over there mind.

Seriously? None of mine I've owned in the last 43 years has ever had one...

So I contacted Audi and they replied with........ It is on the US version as it is a legal requirement where it isn't in the UK. This seems lazy to me.

Then I searched why it was a legal requirement and started to laugh........ "Being trapped in a car's trunk can be a harrowing, sometimes deadly experience. Sometimes acriminal will force a person into a trunk, and sometimes a person (usually a child) will accidentally get trapped in a trunk. Regardless of the cause of entrapment, a trunk is a very dangerous place to be. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get out of a locked trunk. While any vehicle made in the United States after 2002 has a trunk release lever, others do not. So what can you do to improve your chances of escape?"

:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: gamegenie and pburv
I suppose I can see the point, but making it a legal requirement seems heavy. But that's probably why many Japanese cars have an interior release.
Given that they have to provide it for the US, you would think that they would just make all the cars the same though.

Reactions: j0nny2013 and pburv
So I contacted Audi and they replied with........ It is on the US version as it is a legal requirement where it isn't in the UK. This seems lazy to me.

Then I searched why it was a legal requirement and started to laugh........ "Being trapped in a car's trunk can be a harrowing, sometimes deadly experience. Sometimes acriminal will force a person into a trunk, and sometimes a person (usually a child) will accidentally get trapped in a trunk. Regardless of the cause of entrapment, a trunk is a very dangerous place to be. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get out of a locked trunk. While any vehicle made in the United States after 2002 has a trunk release lever, others do not. So what can you do to improve your chances of escape?"

:tearsofjoy:
So what can you do to improve your chances of escape?"

Move to the States...:salute:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and gamegenie
I suppose I can see the point, but making it a legal requirement seems heavy. But that's probably why many Japanese cars have an interior release.
Given that they have to provide it for the US, you would think that they would just make all the cars the same though.

Exactly what I thought, thought its a bit lazy of them not to do it.

Reactions: pburv
So what can you do to improve your chances of escape?"

Move to the States...:salute:

yeah lets hope I don't decide to lock my mrs in the boot. She wouldn't have much chance of escaping!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
yeah lets hope I don't decide to lock my mrs in the boot. She wouldn't have much chance of escaping!
hahah theres a manual release in on the boot anyways from inside so she would be able to get out anyways!

I did not know this was a United States thing, I thought it was a luxury thing at least.
You get home from after shopping at the grocery store, you're already carrying some bags you had in the front seat.
You have some in the trunk (boot).

Would you want the luxury to be able to open the boot (hell now I'm saying it) as you exit your car, instead having to fiddle with the trunk release as you get to the back of the car.

You mean to tell me Audi's bigger cars A6, A8 don't have a trunk release either in the UK?

The earliest I remember seeing a trunk release was in my Dad's 95 Chevy Impala, the trunk release button was in the glove compartment.

Reactions: pburv
I did not know this was a United States thing, I thought it was a luxury thing at least.
You get home from after shopping at the grocery store, you're already carrying some bags you had in the front seat.
You have some in the trunk (boot).

Would you want the luxury to be able to open the boot (hell now I'm saying it) as you exit your car, instead having to fiddle with the trunk release as you get to the back of the car.

You mean to tell me Audi's bigger cars A6, A8 don't have a trunk release either in the UK?

The earliest I remember seeing a trunk release was in my Dad's 95 Chevy Impala, the trunk release button was in the glove compartment.

nope all other models seem to have this function. All but the A3!

yeah I even have to get my keys out and hold boot key to pop it up or press button on the boot!

pain in the backside!

Haven't used a boot release button in 45 years of driving. Pointless button and I've owned quite a few cars with them.

I guess some struggle with finding a keyfob in deep pockets or maybe they are too involved playing with something else in their pocket ?

Pburv - just for you :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Haven't used a boot release button in 45 years of driving. Pointless button and I've owned quite a few cars with them.

I guess some struggle with finding a keyfob in deep pockets or maybe they are too involved playing with something else in their pocket ?

Pburv - just for you :)
Lol. Always playing with the change in my pockets.....:whistle2:
Cheers Warick..:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and WarwickL