New built engine (JE PISTONS) slap or somthing else?

fangcatoo

Reaction score
Hey people, I'm the proud owner of a 2018 RS-3, lately i've blow my engine and i rebuilt everything, new block new crank and everything, I've bought the JE pistons with the plating, and Tuscan Intergreated Rods, and the car is now done 1500KM of calm driving and I've noticed from the first start of the car a strange noise, sounds almost like a knock, I've found a video of an RS-3 with the exact same sound, my mechanic told me it's probably piston slap and it's normal for these pistons to sound like that, I'm asking you people before I go run on the dyno if I should worry about that noise,
This is the video of the RS-3 with the exact same sound :
Please share you thoughts!

Hey people, I'm the proud owner of a 2018 RS-3, lately i've blow my engine and i rebuilt everything, new block new crank and everything, I've bought the JE pistons with the plating, and Tuscan Intergreated Rods, and the car is now done 1500KM of calm driving and I've noticed from the first start of the car a strange noise, sounds almost like a knock, I've found a video of an RS-3 with the exact same sound, my mechanic told me it's probably piston slap and it's normal for these pistons to sound like that, I'm asking you people before I go run on the dyno if I should worry about that noise,
This is the video of the RS-3 with the exact same sound :
Please share you thoughts!

Afraid I can’t really help, but if you put it in the 8V forum rather than 8Y you may find more people that have experience of it as the 8Y is (hopefully) too new for people to have rebuilt engines. Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some aftermarket pistons are known for this noise, again depends on which make you decide upon……

Not a nice sound but I’m afraid you’ll be stuck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds more camshaft speed than engine speed? also doesnt alter with rising and falling of engine speed like I would expect a piston to do ?

Reactions: RS03???
sounds like tappet clearance from the push-rod engine technology.

Sounds more camshaft speed than engine speed? also doesnt alter with rising and falling of engine speed like I would expect a piston to do ?
sounds like tappet clearance from the push-rod engine technology.
Hey, thank you for your response, the thing is, The engine has 2500KM on it, all new but the cylinder head, I've noticed the noise from the first night when I got home, and when I turned AC it just dissappeared (Cold/Warm), and I dynoed it at 2000KM after oil change, and now the sound got louder to the point you can blatantely hear it even when AC is on, but what caught my mind is, if it was a piston gap, the sound has to change depending on the temps (Cold/Warm) and it doesn't, it might sound a little bit worse on cold start but it's very much noticeable the same way when it's cold or warm, thing thing is, If it's the lifters/tappets it makes sense that the sound got louder/worse after dynoing the car

And by the way, it does change when engine speed alittle bit, when I go in a narrow closed street you can hear high pitched ticks when letting off the gas.

Piston rattle generally alters with rpm and load sometimes when the engine is accelerating and sometimes when it's decelerating, the ‘rattle or knock’ should alter as you move the accelerator pedal and maybe disappear altogether.

A camshaft/valve noise is generally there all the time and just increases with engine speed pretty regardless of load.

Your noise to me sounds more like camshaft/valve/tappet noise, but, it's hard to hear 100% over a video :)

Reactions: RS03???
Piston rattle generally alters with rpm and load sometimes when the engine is accelerating and sometimes when it's decelerating, the ‘rattle or knock’ should alter as you move the accelerator pedal and maybe disappear altogether.

A camshaft/valve noise is generally there all the time and just increases with engine speed pretty regardless of load.

Your noise to me sounds more like camshaft/valve/tappet noise, but, it's hard to hear 100% over a video :)
Another option, ask JE pistons, if its a known occurance.

bump
I checked somthing yesterday and found it interesting
When the engine is running at idle with AC/OFF the noise is terrible.
When the engine is running at idle with AC/ON Low speed the noise reduces but still pretty loud
As you increase the level of the AC the noise almost dissappears for good.
(I've noticed my sereptine belt has a mark on the middle of it along the belt and I've noticed wear (a few ripped hairlines from it, not sure if it can make a ticking noise)