New Brakes

Reaction score
Pad light has come on. 37K. Audi advised discs need changing too.

Is it still the case of having to change discs at same time as new pads? What age have people changed their discs at?

Always advantageous to change both at the same time. Then they match and wear together. But not a necessity. If Audi have said the discs need changing they must have reached their minimum wear width. Originally stamped on the outer rim edge. Probably not visible with rusted edges now. Not measured my discs, but know I've got 35% front pad left on 23k, quoted by audi. I don't drive or brake hard.

Reactions: 4K
Always advantageous to change both at the same time. Then they match and wear together. But not a necessity. If Audi have said the discs need changing they must have reached their minimum wear width. Originally stamped on the outer rim edge. Probably not visible with rusted edges now. Not measured my discs, but know I've got 35% front pad left on 23k, quoted by audi. I don't drive or brake hard.
Thanks buddy. Mine are 90% worn lol. They said on both pads and discs I believe. I drive hard. S mode is only mode I know :)

Reactions: Leevr
I always thought more a case of changing pads when fitting new discs so that they can both bed in to one another and also if the pads were responsible for any premature wear of the discs then the chance of this happening again is reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Mark_86
I always thought more a case of changing pads when fitting new discs so that they can both bed in to one another and also if the pads were responsible for any premature wear of the discs then the chance of this happening again is reduced.

Pretty much what I said.

Pretty much what I said.

I’ve changed pads before without changing discs but not the other way round.

Reactions: Mark_86
I’ve changed pads before without changing discs but not the other way round.

The OP has been advised that his discs are worn along with pads. In theory pads are the part that should wear out first and yes, change pads without changing discs. As I said it not a necessity to change discs and pads together but if his are both worn to limits then changing both start a fresh.

Reactions: Rob2k68

Pads and discs don't have to be 'matched'. I have had plenty of discs machined to eliminate the lip and resurfaced and still been well within the minimum thickness. Audi are bound to say 'Oh you should buy discs too'.

On another note, a popular upgrade choice is the discs from the Golf Clubsport S (around £300)

Pads and discs don't have to be 'matched'. I have had plenty of discs machined to eliminate the lip and resurfaced and still been well within the minimum thickness. Audi are bound to say 'Oh you should buy discs too'.

On another note, a popular upgrade choice is the discs from the Golf Clubsport S (around £300)
You've just written that you don't have to change the discs at the same time as the pads as don't need to be matched, but go on to say you've had discs machined to eliminate lips and be resurfaced. Pretty much what your saying is you make the discs as new. I also said it's not always a necessity. If the discs are so badly worn/ scored that it going to have a detrimental effect on the new discs, you either replace or as you've done make good. If there's no material to make good, which I'm only going on the fact that Audi have stated to the OP that they need replacing he either takes it for a second opinion or takes their word for it and has them replaced. Hope this clears up what I was on about. Not an expert by any stretch but have my own opinion and that's all it is.

If the discs are worn close to minimum or generally knackered you change them.
You do not need to change discs because you changed the pads.
If when you are changing the disc best practice would be to also change the pads.
Take a wheel off the car, measure the thickness of the disc and compare against the min stamped on it.
IMO ridiculous that road car discs need replacing at that milege even assuming hard use, the braking system should be designed to cope.
Onwards..................

what pads are most opting for? am still running standard brake discs an pads that came out factory (12k on clock) even at 400bhp i still find them very efficient! but **** these factory pads give off alot brake dust imo.

gona swap me discs for some drilled/slotted brembo, but any ideas on the pads? EBC? ferodo?

thoughts?

Had ECS 2 piece discs with EBC yellowstuff pads on my stage 2 S3 and now have Clubsport S discs and pads on my R :-

dd403770aebabe3876b91ac163264f33.jpg

c1a29df2c5b2095a476734510692acdb.jpg

Reactions: lucaslfc, BarryG79 and SPIKE_
Had ECS 2 piece discs with EBC yellowstuff pads on my stage 2 S3 and now have Clubsport S discs and pads on my R :-

dd403770aebabe3876b91ac163264f33.jpg

c1a29df2c5b2095a476734510692acdb.jpg
Nice brake setup on both cars @Rob2k68

Does the CSS discs make much of a difference?

Nice brake setup on both cars @Rob2k68

Does the CSS discs make much of a difference?

Yes mate for the price (450 ish for CSS discs and pads) they’re a pretty decent upgrade - also 1.1Kg per side and shouldn’t rust (although I painted mine before fitting them). Some have combined with DS2500 pads but I went with the OEM CSS pads.

Reactions: SPIKE_
Yes mate for the price (450 ish for CSS discs and pads) they’re a pretty decent upgrade - also 1.1Kg per side and shouldn’t rust (although I painted mine before fitting them). Some have combined with DS2500 pads but I went with the OEM CSS pads.

Is £450 usually RRP or did you get a deal on the R forum?

Is £450 usually RRP or did you get a deal on the R forum?

No it’s a normal price from a helpful chap I know - I’ll drop you a PM later mate

Reactions: SPIKE_
Thanks for the responses so far.

So I bought the pads today (OEM) from TPS. They're TRW. I didn't buy discs yet as they seem pretty expensive - £190.

EuroCarParts currently have an offer on for £130 for Pagid, is it worth going for them? I've seen mixed things on the forum about Pagid.

Reactions: MikeParkin
I have just changed all the brakes on mine, clubsport s front discs, MTEC rear discs, Ds2500 pads all round and tarox braded lines and fluid.

The old front pads and discs were fine but the rears were in a very poor state.

I have just changed all the brakes on mine, clubsport s front discs, MTEC rear discs, Ds2500 pads all round and tarox braded lines and fluid.

My rears aren't looking too great either lol but I think I'll be getting rid of her next year so will probably stick with OEM this time, just on the front.

why the change rob mate? those ECS setup looked bang tidy aswel

They were mate thanks - worked blooming great too

Trying to do things with a smaller budget on the R LoL but it’s good to try different things. Don’t forget decent stainless steel lines and fluid if you’re looking for a performance upgrade.

Reactions: lucaslfc and MikeParkin
They were mate thanks - worked blooming great too

Trying to do things with a smaller budget on the R LoL but it’s good to try different things. Don’t forget decent stainless steel lines and fluid if you’re looking for a performance upgrade.

so how much all in for the ECS compared to the new setup?

so how much all in for the ECS compared to the new setup?

Think at the time it was £1120 for the discs both front and rear compared to £300 for the front CSS discs - they don’t do an uprated rear on the CSS. This was getting on for 3 years ago and I believe the price has shot up since then.

The ECS setup was a huge weight save though 2.4 kg from each front corner and a little over a kilo for each rear so we’re talking 7Kg all in. Another nice touch is that the discs are directional so basically left hand side and right hand side so that the slots face the same way entering the caliper compared to the CSS discs which are identical.

Reactions: lucaslfc
If Audi have said the discs need changing they must have reached their minimum wear width. Originally stamped on the outer rim edge. Probably not visible with rusted edges now. .

I'd always get them checked before committing to Audi replacing such items.

At me last service they rang to say I needed 4 new tyres, and they can fit them that day for only £x amount. When enquiring exactly what the tyre tread depths were, there was still plenty of live left in them. Only now (nearly 3 months later) are they ready to be changed.

I'd always get them checked before committing to Audi replacing such items.

At me last service they rang to say I needed 4 new tyres, and they can fit them that day for only £x amount. When enquiring exactly what the tyre tread depths were, there was still plenty of live left in them. Only now (nearly 3 months later) are they ready to be changed.
If your local Audi are lying to you, report them to Audi UK and ultimately trading standards or watchdog, if that still exists.

Well chaps, was pretty lucky I changed them as this is how worn the old pads were. I won't be going to an indie again, as the car was serviced in January and they gave no indication of wear on pads.

I also found that my brake pad wear sensor was hanging by a thread literally out of the sheath. Nice that you don't have to reset the ECU though when you change the wear sensor, the light just goes off automatically. As the pads were worn down so badly, I essentially had a seized caliper so the job was a nightmare, but eventually we sorted it and saved £200 labour on what Audi were charging. Discs were changed too.

72C691A3 6904 4563 AE0A 3F64FBF75E45 1

Do you have links for all of these please?
My rear pads are getting low and I’m planning to do CSS disc up front and I’d like the rears to match. Have ran DS2500 pads before on my Works Clubman and would like to try them on my S3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just search MTEC brakes mate and you will find it, there £100 for a pair so not bad at all to be honest. I used awesome GTI for the for front discs and pads.

Reactions: Deezer-D