New brakes needed....what setup?

g10chy

Reaction score
Hi,

I needs new pads and discs for my MOT. What the best set-up on a budget?

Pads? - DS2500's seem the best choice of pads. Should this be front and rear or front only?

Discs? - What discs should I go for front and rear? I swear i read somewhere on here that may as well leave the rear set up as standard as that is sufficent enough.

Brake fluid? -

Braided hoses? - Are they really required?

Anything else?

Cheers,
Chris

Have a look at the stickies, at the top of the 8L part. There's a whole thread dedicated to it.

I use plain discs from ECP, and run mintex pads, with performance fluid.

Already looked through that sticky reesyboy.

I have everything choosen except front discs now...I want a good plain set. What are the recommendations?

Something plain like the Pagid discs from Euro car parts would be a plain option...
Depends how much you want to spend/ whether you want nice looking discs

OEM disks or pagid will be fine mate. I'm running Brembo Max which i'm really happy with. I checked the wear on the disks last week as they've nearly been on a year and the disks are still in great condition. DS2500 dont tend to chew disks up that much.

Anyone got the product code for DS2500s for S3? Also, where is the best place to purchase?

Just bought some new Pagid fronts and got a free 5pc spanner set from Euro Car Parts!!

Nice one Westle!

Everything is now ordered:

£190 for DS2500s + 1.5 litres of Motul RBF600 from Larkspeed.com
£80 for Pagid front discs from Euro Car Parts
£47 for Rear discs & pads (Bosch) from VWspares.co.uk
£317 total :thumbsup:

Awesome cheers Westle :) Although I probably won't get the clutch bled though - depends if it's extra at the garage. Did you crack open all 3 bottles mate? I couldn't get away with 2 could I? (im so skint after new discs and ds2500 pads!) :)

Awesome cheers! :) Did they use VAG-COM to do it? <mobile mechanics aren't they 4rings>

Awesome cheers! :) Did they use VAG-COM to do it? <mobile mechanics aren't they 4rings>

They are mobile mechanics but I dropped the car off at their garage last year as I was having my cambelt changed at the same time. I'm sure Dean did use VCDS to operate the pump.

I should be dropping the car off with Dean this Sunday as they are doing a service and removing the turbo ready to go to CR Turbos or Turbo Dynamics for a refurb so I'll ask Dean about the brake fluid change then if you want?

What benefit do you get from bleeding the clutch? My cars booked in for major service and brakes on Wednesday so will ask them to do this at the same time.

They are mobile mechanics but I dropped the car off at their garage last year as I was having my cambelt changed at the same time. I'm sure Dean did use VCDS to operate the pump.

I should be dropping the car off with Dean this Sunday as they are doing a service and removing the turbo ready to go to CR Turbos or Turbo Dynamics for a refurb so I'll ask Dean about the brake fluid change then if you want?

Awesome thanks mate - yeah a price would be handy. Although they're a tad far as I'm in Northampton.... But getting a quote wouldn't hurt. :)

Well last year on 17.5% VAT I was quoted £152.75 all in for the labour to change the braided lines, front discs and pads, and do the fluid with me supplying all the parts so that should give you a rough idea of how much they'll charge just for a hose and fluid change.

I do happen to have a set of goodrich braided lines going spare. They are off of S3baby's old brakes and are only 10 months old.

I know that braided hoses make a big difference on bikes, but what difference do you get on the car, I thought the ABS unit was the restricting factor?