1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

New belts, screeching

sconner0 Aug 13, 2020

1. sconner0

sconner0 Registered User

Basically sounds like this:

I've got both belts, and everything that goes with it replaced with an aftermarket parts (INA). It only does that on cold start, and not every time. I've tried previously spraying both belts inside and outside with WD40 which didn't help at first, but after the noise was gone for a whole month.

Where should I start my investigation? Try spraying WD-40 on pulleys bearings and see if the noise is going away?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Check the alternator or compressor pulleys as mine did this to ages until I swapped alternator out, haven't had it since, annoyed the **** out of me.

4. Daveyonthemove

Daveyonthemove Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

5. Matt268uk

Matt268uk A3 Sportback VCDS Map User

Try rubbing wax from a decent size candle as the belts are spinning, Inside and sides, this will stop belts from squealing and as above stay away from oil based stuff on rubber belts.

6. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

Personally, I would put that noise down to a bearing somewhere on the belt circuit - e.g. typically a tensioner or alternator. With the belt off it would be obvious when turning the bearings/pulleys in question my hand. They would either feel very rough or when slapped would spin like a loose, noisy roller skate. They should feel smooth and when slapped there should be some smooth resistance that stops them continually spinning.

7. sconner0

sconner0 Registered User

Cool! Thanks guys, I'll check the pulleys first. And as a temporary fix wax from a candle should work just fine. I'll update when I get to it, probably tomorrow when it's a bit cooler outside and I have a day off.

8. prt57

prt57 Registered User

I had a noisy belt on my mk 4 GTi 1.8T. Always audible at low revs. I swoppwd it for a Continental and no noise now.

9. SootySport

SootySport Registered User

It’s one of the bearings, spray each one with WD40, it does no harm.
    Could also be the cam belt pulleys or water pump.

10. sconner0

sconner0 Registered User

Found it! [​IMG]

Nr.2 Crankshaft belt pulley does it! Should I replace it? Or maybe it's wrongly tightened?

11. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

You're on the spot so to speak so if you say the problem is with the crank pulley - then I'll take your word for it. Usually these pulleys are "dampened" with rubber sandwiched between the centre section on the crank and the outer section holding the auxiliary belt. If that rubber filling breaks down, then you can get squeaks and vibration. No amount of spraying with WD40 or similar will make any difference and you will need to replace the pulley and central crank bolt.

sconner0 likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. sconner0

sconner0 Registered User

Awesome!

Basically I removed bottom cover and with the engine on went on with spraying wd40 on the pulley bearings, when I sprayed it there:[​IMG]
    It immediately went quiet. So I’m pretty certain about my diagnosis. Now to the parts that I’ll need:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. SootySport

SootySport Registered User

Is there a stray screw/nut stuck down there?

15. sconner0

sconner0 Registered User

Good shout but I don't think so, there's so little space between the engine body and pulley that getting even a washer down there would be challenging

16. sconner0

sconner0 Registered User

Wait, if I remove central crank bolt will it also let go of Crankshaft sprocket and I will need to remove timing belt as well?

Numbers 18 & 19[​IMG]

17. sconner0

sconner0 Registered User

Btw that's my auxiliary belt diagram,
    And I can't find crank pulley bolts anywhere - as anywhere to buy them online

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020