New battery required after 3.5 years?

sebtomato

Reaction score
After a major service from Halfords, they are saying battery needs to be replaced urgently, as it failed "drop test".

Car is only 3.5 years old, so I am a bit surprised. I have seen no indication on battery issues. Starts and stop doesn't struggle, no light/indicator/message. Apparently, start and stop cars have got fairly advanced battery management built-in, so I found it surprising that the car is not reporting an issue.

On the other hand, I have read that start and stop car can wear down the batteries faster.

They want £185 for a new one (including fitting), which seems to be excessive and it's their own brand. They provide a 5-year warranty, but lots of people seem to complain that it's actually very hard to invoke the warranty.

I have found a Varta one on Amazon for £85 delivered, but fitting will be required.

Can an independent garage easily fit a new battery, as apparently start and stop car need also some software parameters when battery is replaced? How much fitting/configuring is likely to cost?

I replaced my own after 6 years.

Bought a Halfords one. Took the air box off and undone some bolts and voila. New battery fitted.

I did no coding whatsoever. Just connected the cables and turned the key

If you have a socket set it’s child’s play.

That was on my 8p. You may not even have to take the air box off on an 8v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced my own after 6 years.

Bought a Halfords one. Took the air box off and undone some bolts and voila. New battery fitted.

I did no coding whatsoever. Just connected the cables and turned the key

If you have a socket set it’s child’s play.

That was on my 8p. You may not even have to take the air box off on an 8v.

Apparently, cars with start and stop need some coding if the new battery is different from the original one, in term of capacity etc. My new battery will not be exactly the same as the old one. The battery management system needs to know the new parameters, and also that the battery was replaced.

Not sure if coding would make that much of a difference or create some faults if not done, but it's apparently the recommendation.

Paid for bmw to be coded with battery 10 years ago at a cost of £250...Next renewal I did myself with a varta costing £70..surprise sunrise no difference and the self fitted lasted till I sold 5 years later

Mine died after a year and got replaced under warranty.
You are meant to code a new battery to the car as the charging characteristics changes as the battery ages. There isn’t much coding if you are changing like for like, just a serial number change to say it’s new.
If I was to replace the battery now I would get an agm battery as they are more superior than the efb type batteries and lasts longer so I’ve been told.

Reactions: JohnM100 and sebtomato
After a major service from Halfords, they are saying battery needs to be replaced urgently, as it failed "drop test".

Car is only 3.5 years old, so I am a bit surprised. I have seen no indication on battery issues. Starts and stop doesn't struggle, no light/indicator/message. Apparently, start and stop cars have got fairly advanced battery management built-in, so I found it surprising that the car is not reporting an issue.

On the other hand, I have read that start and stop car can wear down the batteries faster.

They want £185 for a new one (including fitting), which seems to be excessive and it's their own brand. They provide a 5-year warranty, but lots of people seem to complain that it's actually very hard to invoke the warranty.

I have found a Varta one on Amazon for £85 delivered, but fitting will be required.

Can an independent garage easily fit a new battery, as apparently start and stop car need also some software parameters when battery is replaced? How much fitting/configuring is likely to cost?
They taking pisss from you + trying to rip you off. Never shop in uk chain shops they are all SH!T and scam.
I had a3 2011 and replaced battery in 2018
So battery should last much longer. And battery cost me £125.

Buy from tayna uk, they're very good indeed.

They're not ripping him off, they have there price fitted, they have a right to charge for there time, many people wouldn't or can't change there own, so its fair to say they would pay someone to do for them.

Hypothetically, if you paid £125, £60 isnt an unfair charge for someone's time.

If someone came to me asked me to fit a battery for free, I would promptly say no, which is effectively what some people expect from me daily tbh.

Allot of costs are included in charges, tools, space, building, training, health & safety clothing, the list is endless, £60 is truly not much, although I wouldn't pay as simply I can fit my own, but I happily pay good money for things I cant do as I respect everyone's time is valuable & time is money in this context.

Reactions: Jimbob76, Phutters, S32B and 2 others
Mine died after a year and got replaced under warranty.
You are meant to code a new battery to the car as the charging characteristics changes as the battery ages. There isn’t much coding if you are changing like for like, just a serial number change to say it’s new.
If I was to replace the battery now I would get an agm battery as they are more superior than the efb type batteries and lasts longer so I’ve been told.

^This
...and do go AGM if budget permits. Varta and Bosch are the same battery with different stickers on them.

The combination of a factory installed Moll EFB battery and lockdown - bad news for battery life.

You can also try BatteryMegastore.

Do remove the air box for access if replacing yourself as it makes it a lot easier.

Reactions: sebtomato and AlS3BE
Buy from tayna uk, they're very good indeed.

They're not ripping him off, they have there price fitted, they have a right to charge for there time, many people wouldn't or can't change there own, so its fair to say they would pay someone to do for them.

Hypothetically, if you paid £125, £60 isnt an unfair charge for someone's time.

If someone came to me asked me to fit a battery for free, I would promptly say no, which is effectively what some people expect from me daily tbh.

Allot of costs are included in charges, tools, space, building, training, health & safety clothing, the list is endless, £60 is truly not much, although I wouldn't pay as simply I can fit my own, but I happily pay good money for things I cant do as I respect everyone's time is valuable & time is money in this context.
Whatever you say for me it is very expensive. I had it fitted for that price including fitting. To remove one screw and battery? Of course people are too comfortable to go halford because it is recognisable, instead of googling local independent battery shops with much cheaper service.
Or simply buy battery by yourself and ask few local garages for fitting prices do research.

Varta and Bosch are the same battery with different stickers on them.
Didn't know that, thanks.

I have ordered a Varta battery from Amazon. Only £85 delivered (as I have Prime), which seems to be a very good price.
Same battery on Tanya is £95+ £8 delivery.

On the basis the original battery was EFB and has never created any issues, I think I will stick to something similar.

For information, Halfords wanted £160 for the battery + £25 fitting. I initially thought fitting fee was quite high, until I read about the need for coding/parameters. Battery price (Halfords branded) seems very high. I guess it depends who the actual manufacturer is.

I am sure I can find a local garage that can fit the battery ordered for a similar price, and still make a £70+ saving.

Last edited:
£60 isnt an unfair charge for someone's time.

I wouldn't expect the battery to be fitted for free.

However, £60 to fit a battery and do the coding seems quite high. I guess it depends how long it takes for someone with the right tools and who knows how to do it. 15 minutes?

I wouldn't expect the battery to be fitted for free.

However, £60 to fit a battery and do the coding seems quite high. I guess it depends how long it takes for someone with the right tools and who knows how to do it. 15 minutes?
10 minutes..
Make sure you order stop start battery.
The guy at the shop explained to me that it must be stop starting battery because if you install ordinary battery nto SS car it will degrease capacity within one year. AS SS batteries has included protection from constantly starting engine..

10 minutes..
Make sure you order stop start battery.
The guy at the shop explained to me that it must be stop starting battery because if you install ordinary battery nto SS car it will degrease capacity within one year. AS SS batteries has included protection from constantly starting engine..
The Varta battery I ordered from Amazon for £85 is compatible with start/stop and with my car. Seems a very good price for a known brand and supplier.

The Varta battery I ordered from Amazon for £85 is compatible with start/stop and with my car. Seems a very good price for a known brand and supplier.
Do you have link?
Because I selected mine car and showed me varta for £145

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210624_155009_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624_155009_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 114
You will need to code the battery so the vehicle knows it's been changed, how much to charge it and thus the life expectancy can be correctly calculated. Anyone with VCDS, the knowledge and common sense can code it for you. Coding details for you to read here, it's not rocket science or a mythical mystery like some seem to believe.

I have ordered a Varta battery from Amazon. Only £85 delivered (as I have Prime), which seems to be a very good price.

On the basis the original battery was EFB and has never created any issues, I think I will stick to something similar.

For information, Halfords wanted £160 for the battery + £25 fitting. I initially thought fitting fee was quite high, until I read about the need for coding/parameters. Battery price (Halfords branded) seems very high. I guess it depends who the actual manufacturer is.

I am sure I can find a local garage that can fit the battery ordered for a similar price, and still make a £70+ saving.

£160 is cheap compared to AA that came out to my flat battery. They quoted me £300+ to replace it till I said my car is under warranty.

Reactions: sebtomato
£160 is cheap compared to AA that came out to my flat battery. They quoted me £300+ to replace it till I said my car is under warranty.

Got mine from Tayna batteries.

3 & half years but I’ve put it down to dash cam and lockdowns finishing it off.

I doubt Halfords will be coding it ! They will just replace the battery surely.

I doubt Halfords will be coding it ! They will just replace the battery surely.

I think they would, as I was quoted £25 for fitting but standard battery fitting service is £15.

Amazon product

Battery is Varta blue dynamic N70.
Your link was for the AGM version.

But you actually need AGM you bought wrong battery small !? Is it 270mm long ?
You supposed to buy that one I showed ... for A3 8V even A3 8p has similar

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_212530.jpg
    IMG_20210624_212530.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20210624_212543.jpg
    IMG_20210624_212543.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
No, I surely don't need an AGM battery, since the original/existing battery is an EFB one. I could upgrade to an AGM, but it's not strictly required.
The Varta N70 should be compatible with my end of 2017 A3, since it shows compatible on various websites, including Tanya and Amazon.
It's the correct 096 form factor.

Last edited:

No, I surely don't need an AGM battery, since the original/existing battery is an EFB one. I could upgrade to an AGM, but it's not strictly required.
The Varta N70 should be compatible with my end of 2017 A3, since it shows compatible on various websites, including Tanya and Amazon.
You can put your reg in on this site and it will tell you what you need https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/

Aah thought you had original AGM
No worries

You can put your reg in on this site and it will tell you what you need https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/
I have stopped completely searching parts from uk or great Britain registration numbers because it is mess. It is old 90's or maybe even 80's system outdated and it only confusing and showing wrong parts!
As cars are now new and has 100s variants, it doesn't work.
Best is to order from actual part number of the original component / item.

Actually, that site is only suggesting AGM batteries, when the original battery is EFB. Not as reliable as Tayna or Amazon
But here Varta says you can have AGM battery even if you had EFB..
But looks like you shouldn't do from AGM to EFB..

I replaced my battery without coding it last year and there have been no issues at all. I even asked Audi to code it in for me when they serviced it and they said there was no point.

Was it a direct replacement? Same battery?
Nope, it was a Varta -
N70 Varta Start-Stop EFB Car Battery 12V 70Ah (570500076) Type 096
The Audi tech said "We can code it in, but we'll have to charge you and honestly you would be wasting your money, the battery management system will sort itself out." It's working perfectly a year on, Stop/Start kicks in almost instantly from cold - within two minutes of starting up.

Was it a direct replacement? Same battery?
The only thing to be aware of is when you first start up after the battery change, you'll get a wall of warnings on your dash. Don't be alarmed! They'll disappear as you drive off. It took about 20 mins for Stop/Start to come back online the first time I drove it, but after that it was problem free.

I have started using Exide after a premature failure of a bosch S5 on a Boxster. Cheaper and much better performance compared to the bosch. I will be going for Exide when I need to replace the battery on the Audi.

Best bit of kit I’ve bought in the last year is a CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger. With all the lockdown shenanigans the S3 has hardly been used (1k of mileage in 12 months). So early on in LD1 I picked up one of these for £70 - the claim is that keeping your battery ‘health’ topped up can increase its overall life by up to 3 times (and this cynical old codger believes that). First time I ran it, it took a LONG time to go through its reconditioning then charging cycle (4 year old car, needed some juicing), but since then, I’ve just connected it once a month and the car is always VERY eager to start (despite its garage queen status). Reckon it has already paid for itself twice over with the life it has breathed back into my car and the Missus’ MINI Cooper. Highly recommend...

Reactions: glospete and AlS3BE
I replaced my battery without coding it last year and there have been no issues at all. I even asked Audi to code it in for me when they serviced it and they said there was no point.
If they replaced exactly same one or with the exact same specs it absolutely no need any coding..

Nope, it was a Varta -
N70 Varta Start-Stop EFB Car Battery 12V 70Ah (570500076) Type 096
The Audi tech said "We can code it in, but we'll have to charge you and honestly you would be wasting your money, the battery management system will sort itself out." It's working perfectly a year on, Stop/Start kicks in almost instantly from cold - within two minutes of starting up.

Quite strange really: if the battery management system can sort itself out, then why indeed the need for some settings?
Outside of cars, most battery chargers don't need to know the battery capacity to charge properly.
On the other hand, it might be useful for the car to at least know a new battery was installed to reset the charging settings, so to enter a new serial number.

I have ordered the new battery online and booked fitting at a local garage (rather than Audi), which quoted £25. If they can do the coding for that price, then we might as well. Someone here said it's a 10 min job overall.

Last edited:
The only thing to be aware of is when you first start up after the battery change, you'll get a wall of warnings on your dash. Don't be alarmed! They'll disappear as you drive off. It took about 20 mins for Stop/Start to come back online the first time I drove it, but after that it was problem free.
Thanks for the warning.

My car has suffered a couple of times in the past some random warning signals being displayed once driving or starting the car: pretty much every single error code displayed every 5 seconds, and not even related: "front camera off", "tyre pressure warning", "start and stop disabled" etc etc.
Audi looked at the car and logs and could see a lot of random stuff but couldn't find the reason.
Finally, some technician told me it was either because I was putting an iPhone on the front-seat (due to Apple's non-standard NFC implementation) or because I was using a cheap USB charger on one of the 12v sockets, creating "noise" on the internal car network. It was the latter (I don't own an iPhone).

If they replaced exactly same one or with the exact same specs it absolutely no need any coding..
Incorrect. Part of the coding process resets the vehicle power management. It’s not just about brand, size and type. For those who have not coded and been “ok” sooner or later it will catch up. I see cars daily with issues related to batteries not being coded, mainly start / stop not working or batteries draining over night.

Reactions: AlS3BE, 8YARWY and sebtomato
As Alex says.
There’s a certain amount of coding to be done.

45acc027b3d1d78bded86f71ec9e9fce.jpg

ec8f235aeef6c1a3ed2a60c9b907cdbf.jpg

78381d4a2af0b90c30a76fe647c89218.jpg

80085c89460978f4c9bdd287b13163fa.jpg

Incorrect. Part of the coding process resets the vehicle power management. It’s not just about brand, size and type. For those who have not coded and been “ok” sooner or later it will catch up. I see cars daily with issues related to batteries not being coded, mainly start / stop not working or batteries draining over night.
So this needs to be explained to Audi un-experienced mechanics :)