New Battery + Alternator 6 Months Ago: Car Failing to Start

ENZO

Reaction score
Hi,
i had a new battery and alternator fitted around 6 months ago and car has been fine since (A3 TFSI 2.0 2006)

Today the car failed to start and no electronics would work
After jumpstarting and driving around 20 minutes everything seems ok but i want to know why this could happen.

Plugged in ODB Adapter and get the following fault codes:
f14aea9375.png

Any ideas?

Edit: come back from a drive and after 1 hour tried starting up and same problem - just clicking

Last edited:
Hi,
i had a new battery and alternator fitted around 6 months ago and car has been fine since (A3 TFSI 2.0 2006)

After jumpstarting and driving around 20 minutes everything seems ok but i want to know why this could happen.

f14aea9375.png

Any ideas?
Evap problems usually relate to the little solenoid in line to the inlet manifold.. it will be the cause of your lean code also.

Which means it's most likely blocked or stuck.

Easy enough to replace and that resolves two of your codes.

Sorry maybe all three are related to that, looking at it again.

Have you checked everything, loose terminals ? Didn't leave anything on.. what after market electronics have you fitted if any?

Subs . Head units .. lights.. etc etc.

Maybe something just drained it.

Here's the evap solenoid..
a5d6504b8ddddcfacf498c9f4bf31260.jpg
a15227651d4c064aee90ec827e7cfd8e.jpg

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ENZO
Hi,

f14aea9375.png

Any ideas?

Edit: come back from a drive and after 1 hour tried starting up and same problem - just clicking
Just seen your edit.. if it's happened two times after a good drive then sorry to say but either the alternator is fubar, the battery is fubar, or something is stopping it charging.

Stick a volt meter on the battery terminals while it's running, should be above 14 volts ideally.

If you check the battery after knocking off for a drive should be anywhere upwards of 12.5-13.5 for a good one in my experience.

Over the years I have had problems with both cheaper aftermarket batteries and aftermarket budget alternators which have been anything other than OE or a brand like Lucas. As you have been OK for the past 6 months I would suspect one of these (possibly aftermarket?) items. It's possible that there is a power drain somewhere but simply using logic over the internet, I wouldn't see that suddenly becoming a problem after 6 months.

Reactions: ENZO and Adamdavid899
Just seen your edit.. if it's happened two times after a good drive then sorry to say but either the alternator is fubar, the battery is fubar, or something is stopping it charging.

Stick a volt meter on the battery terminals while it's running, should be above 14 volts ideally.

If you check the battery after knocking off for a drive should be anywhere upwards of 12.5-13.5 for a good one in my experience.

Thanks I was looking at a video of replacing that part above.
After JumpStart I drove maybe 10 mins, maybe it needs longer?

Thanks I was looking at a video of replacing that part above.
After JumpStart I drove maybe 10 mins, maybe it needs longer?
No worries it's pretty easy, you need to fix lean codes especially really on a petrol..

If it's dead flat then yeah at least half hour to an hour I'd say ! sometimes as stated if it's a cheap battery or alternator though it could be the case :/

Over the years I have had problems with both cheaper aftermarket batteries and aftermarket budget alternators which have been anything other than OE or a brand like Lucas. As you have been OK for the past 6 months I would suspect one of these (possibly aftermarket?) items. It's possible that there is a power drain somewhere but simply using logic over the internet, I wouldn't see that suddenly becoming a problem after 6 months.

Last time my alternator was bad though, the battery light would stay on with the engine but it doesn't this time.

I could get a new battery tomorrow but it might not be the issue.

Last time my alternator was bad though, the battery light would stay on with the engine but it doesn't this time.

I could get a new battery tomorrow but it might not be the issue.
I'd check terminal security as a first port, then stick the volt meter on it while running.. see what it's putting out. If it's below like 13.5 then it's definitely a problem with the charging circuit.

I checked my 2.0 tfsi with a VM the other day and it puts out 14.3 idling.

Then leave it running, knock it off and see what the battery voltage is.

Try charging the battery fully with a charger and measure the voltage. Just taken off charge it should be over 13v for a 6 month old battery if it was half decent ..

I'd check terminal security as a first port, then stick the volt meter on it while running.. see what it's putting out. If it's below like 13.5 then it's definitely a problem with the charging circuit.

I checked my 2.0 tfsi with a VM the other day and it puts out 14.3 idling.

Then leave it running, knock it off and see what the battery voltage is.

Try charging the battery fully with a charger and measure the voltage. Just taken off charge it should be over 13v for a 6 month old battery if it was half decent ..

I don't have a voltmeter but I have this should be ok to read it?

Screenshot 20190623 183004

l4AHXA7

∆ the above didn't read voltage

Took it on a drive again (about half hour) after JumpStart and after switching engine off it still fails to start on its own.

∆ the above didn't read voltage

Took it on a drive again (about half hour) after JumpStart and after switching engine off it still fails to start on its own.
Was going to say I doubt it. So it has to be one of three problems.

1.) The alternator.

2.) The battery

3.) Wiring / connections

That's my take.

Was your alternator a brand new one ? If so may be worth checking warranty on said.

Or some reman companies offer a year etc.

Yes alternator is new
Usually when the alternator isn't working correctly the battery symbol stays on with engine

Gonna try get the car diagnosed tomorrow

Reactions: Retroman
Usually when the alternator isn't working correctly the battery symbol stays on with engine
I agree, the light either stays on or stays on very dimly. I've had problems with unknown, budget brand batteries and on one occasion a brand called "Banner". I usually go (non-stop start cars) for an ordinary Exide (usual 3-year guarantee, not the ultimate posh/expensive ones) and they've given good service.

Battery has collapsed inside causing a dead short across the plates. any quick fit type place will do a drop down test on it, takes 2 mins and will show whether its knackered or not.

Reactions: Adamdavid899
Battery has collapsed inside causing a dead short across the plates. any quick fit type place will do a drop down test on it, takes 2 mins and will show whether its knackered or not.
Yeah could be a possibility.. this is why I keep saying stick a volt meter on her

I've seen it happen before that actually.

Cheap batteries just dont have the inner support or the plates are made so poorly they literally crumble and lean against another one !

Have you cleaned and checked the electrical connection to the starter motor?

Echoing already said about battery quality. A few years ago for some mad reason, I bought a new battery for my Golf from Halfords. Within a year it would not hold the charge. 18 months later the replacement did the same thing.
I swopped to a Bosch S5 and no issues since. My understanding is that Varta make Bosch.

I've had this checked this morning and a dud battery.
Charging fine but discharging really fast.

Only got it in October from Eurocarparts (Lion Battery (027 Battery - 3 Year Guarantee)

Phoned ECP and they say can't get refund/replacement without receipt even though I have order email

Reactions: Adamdavid899
you must have a receipt when it was delivered euro allways puts the receipt in with the part so you wouldn't throw away a 3 year guarantee would you

you must have a receipt when it was delivered euro allways puts the receipt in with the part so you wouldn't throw away a 3 year guarantee would you

I found it :)

Reactions: ronniejack
I've had this checked this morning and a dud battery.
Charging fine but discharging really fast.

Only got it in October from Eurocarparts (Lion Battery (027 Battery - 3 Year Guarantee)

Phoned ECP and they say can't get refund/replacement without receipt even though I have order email
Glad you sorted it mate.

Easiest outcome possible. Always good!