New B9 Owner to be

rnm37

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie on this particular thread - moving over here from the A3 8V forum. Just ordered my new A4 B9 (2.0 TFSI Black Edition S-tronic Saloon, Ibis White with 19" rotors) and it's due in August.

To say I'm excited is an understatement. My current A3 is a 3 door 1.6 TDI SE 105PS so expecting to see a significant upturn in performance as well as the general feeling of being in a higher spec car.

Anyone got experience of both cars? Interested to know what to hear everyone's views on the B9 in general...

Cheers,

rnm37

I had a A3 1.4 saloon but have driven the 1.6 tdi as well and that engine is agricultural compared to the A4 2.0 tfsi. Plus the step up in interiors...

Reactions: rnm37
Hi all,

Newbie on this particular thread - moving over here from the A3 8V forum. Just ordered my new A4 B9 (2.0 TFSI Black Edition S-tronic Saloon, Ibis White with 19" rotors) and it's due in August.

To say I'm excited is an understatement. My current A3 is a 3 door 1.6 TDI SE 105PS so expecting to see a significant upturn in performance as well as the general feeling of being in a higher spec car.

Anyone got experience of both cars? Interested to know what to hear everyone's views on the B9 in general...

Cheers,

rnm37
Hi - I had a 5 door 8V 1.4 TFSI S-Line Daytona from March '15 until I picked up my 1.4 TFSI Moonlight Blue S-Line Avant B9 in January - both manuals.

I've only put 700 miles on the A4 so far, so it may still loosen up a bit, but I definitely need to work the gearbox harder than the A3 (not an issue for you!) - even crawling in London traffic you could normally stay in 2nd in the A3, you have to drop to 1st a lot more in the A4 at the moment, and generally you just need to work the gearbox a bit more.

It's definitely a more refined place to be - you can feel that the cabin is bigger, I think it's quieter, I was never a fan of the round air vents on the A3, the climate control in the A4 is pretty slick...

I do miss the "hideaway" MMI screen in the A3, but have the techpack in the A4 so love virtual cockpit. The fact that the cover on the arm rest storage doesn't close completely on the A4 makes me twitch slightly every time I get in the car.

Rear cabin space much improved as you would expect - I have 2 car seats and it makes life a lot easier.

Loadspace is obviously bigger, but it's also different... I always had the load floor dropped in the A3 which gave quite a tall space - the A4 doesn't have the height but obviously goes back a hell of a lot further!

I also prefer the driving position - you sit down in the car more, rather than being a but perched up on a dining chair in the A3.

Think that's the main things, but TL;DR - I wouldn't go back to the A3!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rnm37
I had a A3 1.4 saloon but have driven the 1.6 tdi as well and that engine is agricultural compared to the A4 2.0 tfsi. Plus the step up in interiors...

What's the sound like on the 2.0 TFSI? Not expecting anything remotely S3-esque but just wondering...

What's the sound like on the 2.0 TFSI? Not expecting anything remotely S3-esque but just wondering...

It's generally a fairly quiet engine. But it sounds okay when you put your foot down. I have the 1.4TFSI in my B9, which I am surprisingly impressed with as engines go. My car previous to the B9 had the 2.0TFSI though. But prior to that I had the 1.6TDI in a Seat Ibiza, and the 2.0 is on another planet compared to that. Smoother, faster, quieter - and doesn't sound like a washing machine full of spanners when you take it to the red line. The A4 B9 is an awesome car, the interior is exceptional. I've had mine 2 weeks now and I am still finding excuses to drive it for absolutely no reason every day :)

I am placing an order next week for a similar car but in Avant form.

I’ve done some research and 034 Motorsport make a resonator delete pipe which will give the car a little more of a grunt under load whilst retaining the OEM muffflers and tailpipes. Have a little look on YouTube for some sound clips.

I had an A3 1.4 tfsi before my A4 and I drove the 1.6 tdi version a couple of times as a courtesy car. It was OK for just tootling around in, but not if you wanted to have some fun. All I can say about the 2.0 tfsi by comparison is that it’s like night and day.

I had an A3 1.4 tfsi before my A4 and I drove the 1.6 tdi version a couple of times as a courtesy car. It was OK for just tootling around in, but not if you wanted to have some fun. All I can say about the 2.0 tfsi by comparison is that it’s like night and day.
Agreed, the 1.6 diesel is positively agricultural compared to the petrol engines, especially on startup from cold.
Both the 1.4 and the 2.0 litre petrols are extremely refined engines, quiet and smooth....

Agreed, although I would say that the 1.6 is nowhere near as bad as the 2.0 TDI.

What's the MPG like on the 2.0 TFSI? Curently used to 60+ mpg on long A-road/motorway runs but preparing myself for low 40s now...

Easily average 44mpg over A roads and motoways including trafic jams, higher if just cruising...

Agreed, although I would say that the 1.6 is nowhere near as bad as the 2.0 TDI.

What's the MPG like on the 2.0 TFSI? Curently used to 60+ mpg on long A-road/motorway runs but preparing myself for low 40s now...

I'm regularly getting high 30s in my 2.0 tfsi on the motorway (driving at 70 to 80 normally and not in eco)