New Audi S4 Avant Spec/Options Questions

WarwickBoy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My new Audi S4 Avant Black Edition is now on its way to the UK (via either Sheerness, Grimbsy or Tyne) I'm excited as
- I've most probably avoided any Brexit tariff price increases
- The car should be with my by Christmas

So I had a detailed read through of the specification, and have a few questions
1) Lumbar support, pneumatically adjustable with massage function - I did not specifically specify this so assume it is standard. I have 'Super' not standard sport seats. Can the massage function work while driving, and is it any good? The only previous car I've come across with seat function was a BMW M5 which pinched you into the seat around corners.

2) Parking System Plus - What is this. Does the car park itself in a space ? That would be useful as I always seem to scrape my alloys?

3) Audi Connect Infotainment Services (36-month subscription) - What happens after 3 years. Is there an ongoing subscription cost. My previous BMW 5 series charged every year for Traffic (RTTP) and other services. I had read that Audi had not worked out their charging model, and Infotainment subs continued for as long as you have the car, but I really can't imagine that having seen how plus the dealerships are (someone has got to pay for that free coffee and those TV ads :)

Those were the only spec questions not covered by the blurb. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Kind regards,

Warwick Boy

Hi guys,

My new Audi S4 Avant Black Edition is now on its way to the UK (via either Sheerness, Grimbsy or Tyne) I'm excited as
- I've most probably avoided any Brexit tariff price increases
- The car should be with my by Christmas

So I had a detailed read through of the specification, and have a few questions
1) Lumbar support, pneumatically adjustable with massage function - I did not specifically specify this so assume it is standard. I have 'Super' not standard sport seats. Can the massage function work while driving, and is it any good? The only previous car I've come across with seat function was a BMW M5 which pinched you into the seat around corners.

2) Parking System Plus - What is this. Does the car park itself in a space ? That would be useful as I always seem to scrape my alloys?

3) Audi Connect Infotainment Services (36-month subscription) - What happens after 3 years. Is there an ongoing subscription cost. My previous BMW 5 series charged every year for Traffic (RTTP) and other services. I had read that Audi had not worked out their charging model, and Infotainment subs continued for as long as you have the car, but I really can't imagine that having seen how plus the dealerships are (someone has got to pay for that free coffee and those TV ads :)

Those were the only spec questions not covered by the blurb. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Kind regards,

Warwick Boy

1. Yes, it's standard and does work while driving. It's OK, nothing mind blowing but I use it occasionally on a long journey.

2. Front and rear parking sensors. Park assist is the feature that parks for you (Or should do - it badly kerbed my alloy last time I tried it. Grrrrr!)

3. As far as I know Audi UK still haven't worked out the charging model and will extend if you ask nicely, but I'm not 100% sure.

HTH. Enjoy the new car!

Reactions: WarwickBoy
Hi Warwick Boy, My new S4 has been sitting at Grimsby for a week now and basically it’s a lottery as to when it will arrive at the dealers.
Regarding your points
1. Super sports seats have the usual in, out, up, down adjustment for the lumbar support but also have pneumatic side bolsters that hug you into the seat. The massage function can be used with the vehicle in motion and provide various actions and intensities. To be honest I have only used the massage seats on my current S4 on about half a dozen occasions.

2. Parking system plus is not the self park option. PSP gives visual and audible alerts via the MMI screen plus rear view from the rear camera. The comfort and sound pack replaces the rear camera with a full 360* view from additional cameras.

3. You have answered your own question on the 36 month subscription, contact Audi and they will extend it (well at the moment they do).

Hope this helps

Update on the latest S4

Super sports seats have lost the pneumatic side bolsters of the previous model. Massage function is retained.

Opening the glove box reveals a blanking plate where the CD/DVD/ SD Card/ SIM Card player used to be. With the unit that was there gone, no more Jukebox. The pair of USBs in the arm rest have been replaced by a single USB C with a single USB slot in the centre console.

The reversible boot floor panel as listed under standard equipment does not exist! The boot floor is fixed down presumably because the 48V battery is under there.

Having retained the rubber mats from my old car it’s apparent Audi is saving the pennies, no longer are there retaining studs for the rear mats and the black fabric folder for the owners manual is now a cardboard sleeve.

Not driven it far as yet to be able to compare TFSI v TDI, looking forward to some free time this week to check it out. Spent quite a bit of time trying to log into MyAudi via MMI but keep getting can’t log you on at the moment, please try later.

Reactions: tickedon and WarwickBoy
Gone cheap then, where is the emergency tyre repair kit then if there is no storage under the boot floor?

Can of gunk and compressor are now located in the lift up panel at the rear of the boot floor along with tools

On a not unrelated note I was surprised to find out that the Avant Black Edition MY19 has no spare wheel (how long has this been the case ?). Under the boot floor is a battery ref the (very mild) hybrid features.

However the MY19 does have a CD player where as the MY20 does not. It does make me wonder why one of the now very limited options remains Bang & Olufsen as I fail to see the point if you’re listening is limited to DAB Radio and, presumably, streaming services such as Spotify / Apple Music. How is there any benefit ?

Sorry no pictures, dog cage installed! I’ll see if I can get some from the avant in showroom at dealers.

Oh it's an Avant, sorry didn't realise, somehow missed the group membership...

Hi, Can anyone with a recent S4 Avant confirm whether there is any way a spacesaver spare wheel can be fitted, despite the battery? My current 2013 A6 Avant has both a standard battery under the rear floor plus a spacesaver. Dealers say no...but I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on whether it could be done, even with a bit of modest realignment of things!

If not, same question with a new S6 Avant. Thanks.

On a not unrelated note I was surprised to find out that the Avant Black Edition MY19 has no spare wheel (how long has this been the case ?). Under the boot floor is a battery ref the (very mild) hybrid features.

However the MY19 does have a CD player where as the MY20 does not. It does make me wonder why one of the now very limited options remains Bang & Olufsen as I fail to see the point if you’re listening is limited to DAB Radio and, presumably, streaming services such as Spotify / Apple Music. How is there any benefit ?

My Audi S4 Avant Black Edition is on its way, and I went for the B&O option. I'm hoping I can still use an iPhone or perhaps even an iPod as a music source and control tracklist/song selection from the Virtual Cockpit (as I could on my 2013 BMW it is replacing) rather than just streaming services?

Another question as I think you must have your car. How are you finding living with a diesel engine having formerly had a petrol? As detailed in my review earlier in the thread, I test drove the outgoing petrol S4 Avant back to back with the new oil burning S4 TDI and while I liked the petrol engine much more but ordered the diesel on the basis that
- For real world driving the mpg is much better
- It is just as fast as the petrol
- I generally listen to music and felt that it would probably drown out the diesel growl
- Due to the way car finance works, it was cheaper monthlies from a brand new diesel than a low mileage petrol for the same deposit
- The new model has more up to date technology

I just hope I'm going to live with a move to diesel :)

This is the size of the 48v battery which sits under the permanently fixed boot floor, so a spacesaver is definitely out of the question for fitting in the usual place. S6 is the same!

A5A479A5 7B4D 4189 A01B 1A90A87D645B