New Audi S1 Probably Won’t Happen, Despite Rumors

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it’s Thanksgiving, so there’s nothing much to report on for North America, but Europeans have nothing to be thankful for, so there’s still news coming from the old world.

Today’s report surrounds the A1, and more specifically, the long-rumored spicy version known as the S1 and how the rumors were wrong. Shocker, I know.

The report comes from Australia’s CarAdvice, which spoke to Audi’s head of communications (who nixed the TT Sportback rumors, too) at the A1’s launch.

“Honestly it’s difficult, with that platform, it’s difficult,” said Oberndorfer. “This was quite an investment. You remember the first series of the A1 Quattro was very expensive to build.”

But it extends farther than that. Even the current S1 was difficult to make, says Oberdorfer.

“It was done later, it was not originally on the platform,” he explained. “It was quite an investment. It was a great car, I had one in my house, but nowadays we have to focus more and more [on other developments] and it’s getting more and more difficult.”
Fortunately, for fans of little hot hatches, there is a 200 hp version of the A1 known as the A1 40 TFSI and it runs to 60 mph in just 6.5 seconds. But that’s a far cry from the 230 hp on tap from the current generation S1.

There is another A1 variant coming up and Audi hasn’t revealed just what it will be, but Oberndorfer suggested that it won’t be a high-riding city car, so there is at least hope for a little more hp.

https://www.quattroworld.com/audi-news/report-audi-s1-probably-wont-happen-despite-rumors/

Reactions: N@deeem, Mark_86 and lfcrule1972
The S1 was a skunkworks car. I reckon in years to come it’ll be collectible and possibly have cult status.