New Audi model numbers

gary3306

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
What’s everybody’s thoughts on the new model numbering system? I personally think it’s daft and bears no comparison with the model engine size or output. There was nothing wrong with the good old tfsi, tdi with engine size preceeding it. Just my humble opinion of course

Reactions: elpeterol and Sandra
Apparently it’s to do with offering the consumer an ‘simple’ way to compare power output across the various motors now used within the audi range (ICE, EV, Mild hybrid et al). I’m not a massive fan personally but I can understand it; it’s targeted to the mass market, not the sub 5%(?) of people into cars as much as the members of this forum. I want to know the cc, shape of the block and number of cylinders!

I was asked the other week if my 45TFSI badge was for “the” 4.5 liter engine :footy:

Reactions: gary3306
What’s everybody’s thoughts on the new model numbering system? I personally think it’s daft and bears no comparison with the model engine size or output. There was nothing wrong with the good old tfsi, tdi with engine size preceeding it. Just my humble opinion of course

It makes a great deal of sense.

When one is racing a car away from the lights, it is important to know that the 2.0 petrol turbo + hybrid battery pack has the same initial acceleration as a 3-litre petrol turbo. Hence they might both be badged "50"s.

To a non-petrol-head customer, the "50" will mean a particular level of performance and will help the world to downsize on engines and adopt hybrid power.

I'm not saying this is good - just inevitable.