New Audi Diesel Owner.. Help Wanted..

JGrant

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently well couple months ago bought a used 57 plate 170FWD TDI , don't know if anyone would be helpful enough to explain to me if I remove the DPF on will my car smoke or anything? I have tried to search it up but have been unsuccessful.. I would also like to know how easy/hard it is to fit the S3 lights ? Also Isit possible to fit auto lights and wipers? I read a thread on turning coming home lights on but I need coder is there a certain one I need? Is there any other ways I can make it faster with out mapping it yet as I'm saving for a real decent one. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 127
I have heard tell that removing the DPF is now illegal, and will also be an automatic MOT fail. (someone feel free to correct me if this is wrong)

chop it open take bits out reweld sorted as long as emissions are ok no one will check

Hi,
there is company's that offer a DPF removal, they way it works is they take the DPF box off, remove the internals of the DPF and weld it back up so that it looks like the DPF is still there. Once that is done they use VCDS to map the DPF out of the system so it doesn't produce any errors.
While they are at it some also offer a free remap.

yes removing the DPF will cause the car to smoke a bit more as its job is to reduce the smoke.
if you get it gutted out and remapped the car will still smoke but go much faster

Reactions: JGrant
Ok thanks guys, Ash my car doesn't smoke at all at the moment, even if I get it remapped with the dpf in will it smoke then? Just I like how clean it looks etc without smoke don't really wanna wreck that lol..

Ok thanks guys, Ash my car doesn't smoke at all at the moment, even if I get it remapped with the dpf in will it smoke then? Just I like how clean it looks etc without smoke don't really wanna wreck that lol..
It shouldnt smoke.

If the existing DPF is gutted then it's not illegal. The current MOT test is just looking for the physical presence of the DPF. As for smoking if the remap is done correctly then it won't smoke. It will perform better and have better fuel economy because it doesn't have the restriction in the exhaust system and it won't be wasting fuel regenerating. Your car is quite renowned for having issues with the DPF do a search on Google.
If you are anywhere near Manchester I would recommend Rick at Unicorm Motor Developments in Stockport, he's a forum sponsor, he did a great job on my car.
I would expect your car to map to around 210-220 BHP without the DPF on.
Karl.

Removing your DPF if your car has one is illegal so you remove at your own peril.

Diesel particulate filter check will now be part of the stricter MOT test

The MOT test for diesel cars has been tightened up from February 2014 and any car that is missing a diesel particulate filter (DPF) once fitted as standard will fail.

A car used to be only tested on the emissions, and not if it has a DPF still attached. However, this will change with garages and testing centres now required to check that the part is still present.

Companies across the UK offer to remove the DPF for motorists in a bid to avoid costly repairs. The filter has to be regularly regenerated to burn off soot that builds up over time by driving the car up to 40mph for more than 10 minutes often done on motorway journeys.

However, if this isn'€™t done then it can lead to the filter becoming clogged with prices for a new part costing upwards of £1,000. In order to avoid such problems, some drivers will get the part removed.

This practice has always been illegal, contravening the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulation 61 A as it no longer meets emission standards applied to it when new, but companies continue to advertise the practice.

Roads Minister Robert Goodwill said: I am very concerned that vehicles are being modified in a way that is clearly detrimental to people's health and undoes the hard work car manufacturers have taken to improve emissions standards.

€This change to the MOT tests makes it clear if you have this filter removed from your car it will fail the test.

A spokesman from the Department for Transport told us that anyone that has had the filter removed, will now have to a new one put back on their car in order to pass their next MOT test.

If the DPF is still physically present then it will pass. Pretty much any car that is remapped will also fall into the category of not meeting the emission standards, There are also many cars driving around on the road that have defective lambda sensors, temperature sensors etc and all of these are liable to render the car outside of the emission standards applied to the car when it was new.
If the goverment was particularly interested in looking after peoples health there are many more things they could do that would have a much greater impact than just chasing a few thousand people who have removed the DPF from there car. A modern Common rail engine without a DPF will still be many times cleaner and more efficient than an older diesel car or even petrol cars as they emit particulate matter as well.

I have just had my TDI remapped and kept the DPF. The performance and MPG have increased and it's like a new car, it doesn't smoke and looks standard from outside. I won't be removing my DPF as if it was to fail the MOT it would be expensive to replace it.

Reactions: JGrant
problem is if the map is not done correctly then the dpf will just clog up quicker and fail faster as the car will be using more fuel for more power

I have had mine now for a month and the Mpg has improved. It gets a good run out at the weekends and have never had any problems with the DPF. ;-)

Removing your DPF if your car has one is illegal so you remove at your own peril.

The MOT test for diesel cars has been tightened up from February 2014 and any car that is missing a diesel particulate filter (DPF) once fitted as standard will fail.

A car used to be only tested on the emissions, and not if it has a DPF still attached. However, this will change with garages and testing centres now required to check that the part is still present.

They have no way of telling if it just gutted. They aren't going to open them up...

just make sure is cut open where it cant be seen from below ,if the weld line can be seen then they can refuse to test it

Thank you all for your posts !! I think I am going to try a map with the dpf and if I still have the problem will think about removing.. Does anyone know if fitting the 2.5/3.0 turbo will make much of a power difference?