New Audi and annoying noise

Tomasz

Reaction score
Greetings from a new Audi owner!
It is 2018 A4 sedan 2.0 TFSI Ultra, 6-speed manual. Now 6000+ km on the clock. All is good with the car, it is comfortable and nice to drive, Matrix LED lights are awesome, but coming from Mercedes W211 I needed some time to adjust to firmer sport seats and suspension. As my Mercedes was pretty old I trained my ears to hear all the alarming, sometimes tiny sounds. Now with this ultra quiet Audi I can hear the sounds I did not expect in a brand new premium car.
1. At low constant speed, e.g. 30-40 km/h, I can hear the transmission I think. Gear does not matter. I can live with that. It is not as bad as my old 2000 Megane but it is there. Worse than 6-speed manual in Mercedes.
2. At 100 km/h I can hear a high pitch noise at slight acceleration. Foot off the pedal and it goes away. I think it does not depend on the gear . I could barely live with it... I got used to such sound in W211. I thought it was the rear differential.
You can hear it here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19sYxdM4nV0sRE9i9u9s7qa3MpKcjWEQ_
3. Between about 65 and 75 km/h there is a high pitch whirling noise coming from the front. I mean that in this speed range it is most evident. Something like a speedometer line. It does not depend from the gear I'm in. It is the same at neutral. It does not change when I depress the cluch. It is only car speed dependent. It gets worse when I slow down from 70. I just can not stand it!
You can hear it here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14IT07wN_iSsEffOS943NdIHDRkPPKQLX
I went trough lots of discussions on different fora and found that it could be caused by a bad wheel bearing. However, Audi service said they are ok. Well, they did not hear anything at the test drive too. A local mechanic I know well said it does not sound like wheel bearings but more like some transmission or axle bearing. At highway speeds all sounds like I think Audi should. Some engine noise, some wind and obviously 18" 245/40 tires.
And the last thing I noticed only today is a creaking sound at breaking from low speed, just before the stop. It sounds like it comes from the driver side (left in my case).

Any ideas what could be wrong with my car? Or is it me? ;) I am booked for service of MMI as the eSIM dependent Audi connect functions don't work and would like to give the servicemen a hint where to look for the noisy problems too. They are not too eager to admit any problem...

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
I'm sorry Tomasz...it's you:flushed: Most likely tyre noise.

Setting up the eSim (by that you mean Connect?) can be a little tricky - what problem are you having?

I would like you to be right! As soon as it gets colder I will put winter wheels on and will see. It does not seem likely to me, though. Tire noise I hear is surface depending. The annoying noises are not.

Well, to those caring to have a listen, use earphones or real speakers. You can hardly hear anything through phone speakers. Besides tire noise.

Audi connect worked for me from 18 July when I got the car, until Sep 10. Then it stopped. No car location, no car status, etc. Resetting, turning data module off and on, did not help. I can not set up the primary user in the car anymore. I WAS the primary user before. Now I can only use the functions available through external sim or my phone. They work OK. eSIM works for SOS and Assictance calling too. When I check available functionalities in my account on-line the ones that use eSIM data are greyed out. The others that are using my phone are green. MyAudi assistance in Poland can only copy and paste the manual when they are asked. Or say go to Audi dealership. The dealership says all looks good on their end. My account is validated and all should work. It does not. They promised to have a closer look.

OK, I had almost the same issue with Connect owing to the dealer not getting it right at handover (I bought mine used) - Connect 'worked' but I couldn't get the mobile app to work . I assume you have the plastic key tag with the Connect code on it? The car is under 3 years old too? We know that after 3 years Connect stops working and you have to call your Audi country operation Customer Services (not the dealer) and get Connect extended.

You need to reset Connect to factory settings, it reboots the system. You then have to wait about 12 hours (really important!) as it appears that the car contacts Audi and says 'I've been reset', then the next time you start the car the set up process for the primary user comes up.

There is a critical step in the set up process where after entering the code on the plastic key tag and taking the option to Login the vehicle then asks for a Password OR the MyAudi code number. The MyAudi code number is in the mobile App.

You MUST enter the MyAudi code number as this links the mobile app to the car - everything works, even using the phone as an Electronic key using NFC.

Reactions: Tomasz
It's probably just you. Don't forget you are sitting inside a machine with thousands of moving parts. It's not a soundproofed recording studio. I think you do have to accept these kind of noises.

Greetings from a new Audi owner!
It is 2018 A4 sedan 2.0 TFSI Ultra, 6-speed manual. Now 6000+ km on the clock. All is good with the car, it is comfortable and nice to drive, Matrix LED lights are awesome, but coming from Mercedes W211 I needed some time to adjust to firmer sport seats and suspension. As my Mercedes was pretty old I trained my ears to hear all the alarming, sometimes tiny sounds. Now with this ultra quiet Audi I can hear the sounds I did not expect in a brand new premium car.
1. At low constant speed, e.g. 30-40 km/h, I can hear the transmission I think. Gear does not matter. I can live with that. It is not as bad as my old 2000 Megane but it is there. Worse than 6-speed manual in Mercedes.
2. At 100 km/h I can hear a high pitch noise at slight acceleration. Foot off the pedal and it goes away. I think it does not depend on the gear . I could barely live with it... I got used to such sound in W211. I thought it was the rear differential.
You can hear it here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19sYxdM4nV0sRE9i9u9s7qa3MpKcjWEQ_
3. Between about 65 and 75 km/h there is a high pitch whirling noise coming from the front. I mean that in this speed range it is most evident. Something like a speedometer line. It does not depend from the gear I'm in. It is the same at neutral. It does not change when I depress the cluch. It is only car speed dependent. It gets worse when I slow down from 70. I just can not stand it!
You can hear it here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14IT07wN_iSsEffOS943NdIHDRkPPKQLX
I went trough lots of discussions on different fora and found that it could be caused by a bad wheel bearing. However, Audi service said they are ok. Well, they did not hear anything at the test drive too. A local mechanic I know well said it does not sound like wheel bearings but more like some transmission or axle bearing. At highway speeds all sounds like I think Audi should. Some engine noise, some wind and obviously 18" 245/40 tires.
And the last thing I noticed only today is a creaking sound at breaking from low speed, just before the stop. It sounds like it comes from the driver side (left in my case).

Any ideas what could be wrong with my car? Or is it me? ;) I am booked for service of MMI as the eSIM dependent Audi connect functions don't work and would like to give the servicemen a hint where to look for the noisy problems too. They are not too eager to admit any problem...
I would wait, you've come from one car to another, especially one which is quieter than the Merc so it'll be different. Drive it for a few miles with the radio up and enjoy. You have a warranty so until so don't worry about 'might be'....

Reactions: cosmicblue
OK, I had almost the same issue with Connect owing to the dealer not getting it right at handover (I bought mine used) - Connect 'worked' but I couldn't get the mobile app to work . I assume you have the plastic key tag with the Connect code on it? The car is under 3 years old too? We know that after 3 years Connect stops working and you have to call your Audi country operation Customer Services (not the dealer) and get Connect extended.

You need to reset Connect to factory settings, it reboots the system. You then have to wait about 12 hours (really important!) as it appears that the car contacts Audi and says 'I've been reset', then the next time you start the car the set up process for the primary user comes up.

There is a critical step in the set up process where after entering the code on the plastic key tag and taking the option to Login the vehicle then asks for a Password OR the MyAudi code number. The MyAudi code number is in the mobile App.

You MUST enter the MyAudi code number as this links the mobile app to the car - everything works, even using the phone as an Electronic key using NFC.
The car is new and I have all the codes. One think I did wrong was that I did not wait that long after reset. Tomorrow I am leaving my car at the airport for three days so will reset it and give it a time to communicate the fact with the server. Will try to log in on Friday. Is it important to reset everything to factory or just MMI? Thanks for stressing on the time needed!

I would wait, you've come from one car to another, especially one which is quieter than the Merc so it'll be different. Drive it for a few miles with the radio up and enjoy. You have a warranty so until so don't worry about 'might be'....
True. But my wives fiesta 2018 does not make any noises... I am not switching though :)

Yeah but the fiesta makes a whole lot of different noises, we have one too..

The car is new and I have all the codes. One think I did wrong was that I did not wait that long after reset. Tomorrow I am leaving my car at the airport for three days so will reset it and give it a time to communicate the fact with the server. Will try to log in on Friday. Is it important to reset everything to factory or just MMI? Thanks for stressing on the time needed!

You are welcome and just reset Connect.

You are welcome and just reset Connect.
It worked as you said. I have left the car for 3 days after reset and this morning all worked! The only other thing I had to do was to turn off the data transmission and turn it on a few minutes later. Then I was able to successfully enter the car user. Thank you!!

Reactions: cosmicblue and Soot1e
I'm sorry Tomasz...it's you:flushed: Most likely tyre noise.

Setting up the eSim (by that you mean Connect?) can be a little tricky - what problem are you having?

Today I put on brand new winter wheels and the sound did not go away. So, not tires. Actually at first I thought it might be it as the first few km of the test drive the noise did not show up, but later it was there, as with summer wheels.

It worked as you said. I have left the car for 3 days after reset and this morning all worked! The only other thing I had to do was to turn off the data transmission and turn it on a few minutes later. Then I was able to successfully enter the car user. Thank you!!

Great - all sorted.

Thanks! I saw it. It is exactly like mine. But... my bearings were told to be checked and fine. Of course, first of all they did not hear any noise. My video and link was ignored. As said before my local mechanic did not think it is from bearings. At least he heard it immediately. I am trying to learn how to live with the noise but it is hard. Yesterday I drove nearly 800 km and on highway I just enjoyed driving. Back on B roads and lower speeds it was so annoying. Music was on of course. It cuts through the background noise and music, especially that the sounds are in a narrow speed range(s). Additionally to the noise described in your link I have another one at 100 km/h.

Reactions: cuke2u
I am back! I tried hard to ignore the noises but finally decided to visit another Audi dealership. I drove with two guys for 30 mins or so, one in front, another in the back. They admitted the noises exist and don't seem normal. They lifted the car, put some mics on and identified the noise coming from the transmission. As my local mechanic suspected, most likely it is bad differential bearing(s). They checked transmission oil level, checked for possible impact marks on the housing and found nothing. The dealership will report the problem to Audi (along with the recordings) as clearly audible noise in otherwise intact gear box. The response with the recommendation should be back within 10 days. It could be that "it is noisy but within the limits", "repair differential", "replace the gearbox". This is what the guy said.

Anyone with differential problems in 6-speed boxes? Solved and unsolved...

A short update on my problem. The car has been in service for a week already. Audi asked for additional recordings to make sure that the noises are really from the box and not other bearings, before giving a green light to open it. They conformed that it is the box that is excessively noisy. For 4 days the service was looking inside and found nothing worn/some damage. Yes, two consultants said two different things... Tomorrow they are ordering several bearings from Germany as they are not available locally. They want to me to appreciate their efforts and said that if this repair will not silence the box, and more action will be needed, they will have to pay for it. I had to push hard to get me a loaner. This week I can live without it so will get it next Monday. Now I remember the salesman pushing me to get s-tronic saying "manual gearboxes" also break... At worst I will soon trade the car in for the s-tronic version. At least the problems are better known and more standard as I can read here :)

I hope this is the end of the problem. The car was dropped off on April 23 and I got it back on June 6. I just shortly saw a long list of parts that were replaced in the box and was told that all the bearings were replaced, plus one sprocket wheel from the shaft (not sure how is it called in English). The bearings looked good and the wheel was found bad while they were putting everything together with new bearings. So, they had to order the wheel and wait for delivery.

Whatever they did the noise at 70 km/h has gone. Well, I can hear that things inside spin but there is no rapid increase in noise as before. The humming at 100 km/h is still there but I can live with it and the loaner with s-tronic had it too.

I must say that I am very happy to be able to drive my car with manual transmission. Full control, pleasure of changing gears, immediate response to throttle. I drove diesel s-tronic (quattro) for more than a month and learned it is not for me. At first I got fascinated by how easy it is to drive in big city traffic. Later I started to notice all the annoyances I read in this forum about. Some strange behaviors I learned how to mitigate but still on several occasions the car surprised me and my stomach went up. The car was 2017 with 50k km on the clock. No idea how fresh was the box software but I assume the car was in perfect tech condition. Is s-tronic bad? Sure it is not. I just prefer manual box as having more pros than s-tronic for my style of driving and where I drive.

Greetings!

Reactions: cuke2u