New Audi A3 owner

AudiA3V5

Reaction score
Hi All,

Also posted the below in the intro section, but I know that I am more likely to get some replies/info in this area.

New to the scene, Stacked my old car and decided to pay off some debt and pick up an older but hopefully good runner, so plumped for an '02 Audi A3 with the V5 engine. Got about 130k on the clock but comes will full MOT and 6 month Tax, so hopefully it will serve me well.

Test drove it today and felt lovely to drive, very smooth, responsive, all seemed to work etc.

Few little bits need attention, touch of bobbling paint on the roof just along one of the little metal strips that run front to back (not sure of the technical name! lol). Also quite a few of the dials/buttons etc internally are quite work, so the black paint has come off etc.

So first things first I want to tidy the car up, will be looking for replacement switch units and control dials etc. Any freebies/cheapies greatly appreciated! ;-)

Then knowing me will probably look to start modding and playing with the car, I can't usually help myself. :-s

Name is J (At least that's what people generally call me) and I live in Hampshire, looking forward to getting to know you guys and mining your brains for whatever knowledge I can! :)

Cheers

J

So further to the above, what are the must check and sort out things on these cars/engines? Where would you suggest that I start in getting things cleaned and tidied and anywhere decent to pick up stock parts at decent prices? Or is it just waiting really for cars being broken etc?

Also, what are the main differences between A3 and S3? ie what parts are interchangeable between the two models and what is not?

Welcome along... Plenty of parts kicking about on ebay and the classifieds on here. Cambelt is a good place to start and the oil pickup pipe/filter in the sump so the engine doesnt get starved of oil. As with the dials.. very common for the black to be scratched off. Enjoy!

Evening fella,
I didn't even know they did a V5 A3.
Most parts are interchangeable between A3 and S3, interior, bumpers with a little work, brakes, and so on.
The main differences are body kit, door blades, flared arches, engine codes, turbo, wheels, suspension, headlights, interior, (seats, steering wheel, dash trim, clocks, door cards, head lining.. )
Probably missed some things. I'm sure someone will be along to fill in the blanks.
Welcome to the money pit. :icon_thumright:
Callum.

Cheers guys.

Should have probably mentioned Cambelt and Water Pump were done last year so they should all be cool.

Will have to search on this pickup pipe though and have a look at that, I think it could do with a good service anyway, so will get it all done together. Is it easy as a DIY job?

Cheers guys.

Should have probably mentioned Cambelt and Water Pump were done last year so they should all be cool.

Will have to search on this pickup pipe though and have a look at that, I think it could do with a good service anyway, so will get it all done together. Is it easy as a DIY job?

The service is easy: plugs, filters, oil & basic checks (why they ask for 139.00 is beyond me:mad:) I'm looking at dropping my sump too, I've read its reasonably easy, some corroded bolts to watch for so clean and anti lock spray all bolts etc. Back to servicing though, ev one should really feel confident enough to service their own vehicle (as per local garage 'service' spec) It really takes no more than 2-3 hrs & saves you £90-£130. You prob know this tho:) There's a lot of threads on here about oil pickup pipe, get n av a search :)

Yeah I'm generally ok with the usual bits and pieces, I'm a computer bod though so not great mechanically, but I've done plugs and air filters and stuff like that before so not to worried about that. Just the pickup pipe I don't know anything about, so I get a little bit nervous etc when doing new things. Lol

I hear that, my main trouble is having no garage or driveway!! Don't think the pooolllice would take to kindly to me dropping my sump on a public highway LOL. Good luck whatever you do though:)

Yeah I don't have great space, I have a car port but its quite sloped, so wouldn't trust getting the car up on jacks etc in the car port. Have some friends who live across the way though who have a sideways faced parking area, if that makes sense, so the slope is much less pronounced.

Still a little bit iffy but no where near as bad. Lol.

I know they did the 2.3 V5 in the golf and the bora as my parents have a bora one but am almost 100% sure this wasn't in the A3 8L.

Am happy to be proved wrong but are you sure its not a 1.8 5v as in 5 valves per cylinder.

Pics of the car and engine would help clear this up

I know they did the 2.3 V5 in the golf and the bora as my parents have a bora one but am almost 100% sure this wasn't in the A3 8L.

Am happy to be proved wrong but are you sure its not a 1.8 5v as in 5 valves per cylinder.

Pics of the car and engine would help clear this up

Mmmmmm! I was wondering too, even searched for one on line...:wacko: A V5 A3 you said?? Be awesome to see:)

It will be a 1.8t 5v... for a start the V5's use a chain not a belt for the cam drive

<tuffty/>

The OP may need to have a looksie under their bonnet or at the badges on the back of the car as I think a username change might be in order lol

Haha, yep, 1.8t 5v. I hadn't even noticed I'd done it, force of habit I think. Doh!!!

Changing usernames sounds like it might be tricky, so maybe engine transplant it is! Lmao.

Reactions: CMcKenzie and S3_NDJ