New Alloys FINALLY

mary_q

Reaction score
Finally got myself some new alloys. Some of you may know I bought some off FLEA'BAY' before which arrived to be not as advertised at all so went through the whole refund paypal decision route and it took agessssssss. But yeah all sorted now!

Treated myself to some Rs8 replica's 19" and got a decent deal. The chap I bought them from had them on a 99 plate Golf (mine is 99 plate Mk1 A3) so i'm told they'll fit no problems.

But... One of the people I asked said Im gonna need longer wheels nuts.... But the seller said his mechanic just used the nuts he already had on his car before...

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm not in a huge hurry to put them on, gonna use the old wheels for winter and save the new alloys for when the crazy ice/snow goes away!

Any info/advice much appreciated.

Cheers

The wheels will fit fine if they was on a golf, I wouldn't have thought u need longer wheel nuts, try your wheel nuts,

If they go into the hub 6 or more turns they will be fine.

If not the it gives u an excuse to get some nice new shiney ones :)

i dont see why you would need longer bolts, if you had needed to fit PCD adaptors then you would need longer bolts... but you dont, so hey ho

You typically need longer bolts if you are using spacers, you will also need to check the bolt seats on the alloys too... most aftermarket wheels use taper seats whereas OEM VAG alloys use radius seats... It is not recommended you use the OEM radius seat bolts on taper seat wheels.

Things to look out for bolt length wise too is if they are too long they will lock the front hubs damaging the wheel bearing, bolts (and subsequently the hub thread as you try to remove the bolt) and ABS ring...

One way to check that bolts are long enough is to take the OEM wheel off, fit the bolt through the bolt hole in the wheel and measure how much it sticks out... do the same on the new wheels... if the measurement is the same then they will be fine... if shorter or longer (or incorrect seat) then new bolts should be sourced...

<tuffty/>