New alloys finally fitted

Phil Angel

Reaction score
Hi folks, well the weather has finally eased of and I had time to fit my new alloys,, 18 inch GEN2 mavens....what do you think....hope you like them

Attachments

• IMG_20181124_111525_resized.jpg
    IMG_20181124_111525_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 275
Reactions: THQuattro
Hi pinky, the car is shiraz red, I am trying to resize a picture of the car with the wheels fitted... Will post when done

Last edited:
Thanks sandra....here is a before and after photo

Attachments

• IMG_20181124_103014(1)-2976x2232.jpg
    IMG_20181124_103014(1)-2976x2232.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20181124_110547-2976x2232.jpg
    IMG_20181124_110547-2976x2232.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 268
Thankyou......should look even better next weekend as I have a set of lowering springs that will drop the car by 30mm to close the gap in the wheel arches

Reactions: Jassyo06
Thankyou......should look even better next weekend as I have a set of lowering springs that will drop the car by 30mm to close the gap in the wheel arches

Thank the Lord you said this,as l could grab a sleeping bag and camp underneath one of those front wheel arches.................lol best not drive it too much..........til next weekend, unless yer planning on doing some high altitude training

Reactions: pburv, S32B, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Thanks sandra....here is a before and after photo
Miles better :)

lol as soon as I saw the pictures I thought it needs lowering now....then I saw your post above :);) I'll look forward to seeing the pictures when it's lowered :)

looks much better gives the car a more sporty look get the car dropped and it will look even better ..good job

also have you thought about getting the centre caps the same colour as the car just to tire it all in

looking good there Phil, especially if you're going lower. Window tints and some tyre dressing would really finish it off nicely.

Thanks... I have a set of 30mm lowering springs ready to be fitted .... Looking at getting the rear windows tinted next spring . Nothing too dark though
looking good there Phil, especially if you're going lower. Window tints and some tyre dressing would really finish it off nicely.

:iagree: Agreed, when lower it will look nice :thumbs up:However the offset on those wheels makes them curb magnets, so take care!!

:iagree: Agreed, when lower it will look nice :thumbs up:However the offset on those wheels makes them curb magnets, so take care!!

Thanks..... I was surprised by the difference the offset made......the original alloys were et51 and these are et48.... so only 3 mm difference, but I suppose the originals had a much flatter face...... so yes , I will be doing some very careful parking !!!! Lol
On another related note, can anyone explain why when you fit an 18 inch wheel, in place of a 17, the gap to the arch gets bigger not smaller...... I know this always happens, but can't get my head Round why a bigger wheel doesn't fill he arch more...... maybe I am just a little slow ..... lol

Last edited:
Thanks..... I was surprised by the difference the offset made......the original alloys were et51 and these are et48.... so only 3 mm difference, but I suppose the originals had a much flatter face...... so yes , I will be doing some very careful parking !!!! Lol
On another related note, can anyone explain why when you fit an 18 inch wheel, in place of a 17, the gap to the arch gets bigger not smaller...... I know this always happens, but can't get my head Round why a bigger wheel doesn't fill he arch more...... maybe I am just a little slow ..... lol
Smaller profile tyre ??

On another related note, can anyone explain why when you fit an 18 inch wheel, in place of a 17, the gap to the arch gets bigger not smaller...... I know this always happens, but can't get my head Round why a bigger wheel doesn't fill he arch more...... maybe I am just a lite slow ..... lol

On the sportback factory alloys are 7.5in wide and most aftermarket alloys are 8in so assuming you got 8in wide wheels they will stick out a bit further than the 17s unless you went with a bigger offset like 55.
Your wheel arch gap should be more or less the same if you got the correct tyres. Think on 18s it should be 225/40/18.
Think it’s just a perception/visual thing. You went from wide/fat spokes with a high profile tyre to a skinny spokes with skinny tyre coupled with a wheel that sticking out more it just appears bigger.
The rear gap in your pics look similar between 17 and 18s. Front does look a bit higher but that could just be the angle it’s sitting.

Reactions: Phil Angel
There will only be a few mm difference between the old and new wheels, most of it will be perception mainly due to switching chunky tyres for lower profile and thick spokes to skinny ones.

Pop your details into this and you will be able to see what you have done: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Reactions: Phil Angel