NEW AET/Badger5 K04-380 (402bhp dyno'd)

badger5

www.badger5.co.uk
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.badger5.co.uk
We have been busy working with AET Turbos on hybrid k04 solutions, and yesterday proved to be a pleasing day results wise. Our Lupo test car, (MrsB car) is a bog std AUM engined car, just with IE rods in it. It has as supporting mods, B5 TIPs,JR Filter, B5 gen2 exhaust manifold, 2.5" pipework, a modified S3 AH V1 fmic, water meth, 3.5" downpipe, into a full 3" exhaust. Runs on Vpower.
Previously the lupo on its k04 hybrid made a bench mark 372bhp/320lbft torque on our dyno. This was already an exceptional power output and one few others have equaled. A tough act to follow.

We specified a new level of hybrid, with the experience we have on these things over the past 6+ years now, it was worth a punt to see if there was anything left to be able to extract out of a k04 hotside/frame turbo. 372bhp already making GT28xx size turbos obsolete for these power levels..

What AET have been able to build, based on a K16 full size turbine wheel, clipped, and new even larger 7+7 billet compressor wheel, in a custom compressor cover and intake. Pictures and test data below.
aet-k04-380-1.JPG

aet-k04-380-3.JPG

As pictured uses our existing V2.2 Billet TIp adaptor on housing so 80mm TIP can clamp direct to it.

The Lupo Install.
aet-k04-380-installed-1.JPG

First run on Actuator Pressure. (14psi) - A very promising 331bhp.. That bodes well.
aet-k04-380-actuator-dynoplot.JPG

Now time for some boosts and mapping.. After some fiddling down of previous duty cycles we got a very nice 402bhp from 23/24 psi peak boost.
aet-k04-380-23psi-402bhp-dynoplot.JPG

Exceptional EGTs for the power output... Max of 840'c - :)
lupo-aet-vs-bbt-dyno-egt-1.jpg

comparison to its previous hybrid, 372bhp vs 402bhp.. Nigh on same boost levels between them. Significantly faster spool on the AET K04-380 unit
aet-vs-other_hybrid-dynoplot.jpg

Prices and "Package" options will be published shortly, as AET and I discuss and finalise details. The Package will comprise of our Gen2 High Flow exhaust manifold, The Port Matched to our Gen2 manifold K04-380 turbo, and our V2.2 Billet TIP pipe. (our Gen2 manifold not available separately).

From AET's published info, the tech spec of the turbo is as follows:
We take a custom K16 turbine wheel a 7 deg cutback to turbine exducer to increase flow through the turbine housing.

Before the fitment of a K24/2280 billet compressor wheels, CNC machined compressor covers to accommodate the hi-flow billet compressor wheels.

An AET motorsport spec 360 thrust assemblies is installed to cope with increased boost pressures.
Total seal piston rings fitted to the turbine for low back pressure exhaust systems.

Ported wastegates for increase boost control at hiboost, and ported turbine inlet for increased air flow
a 14psi Turbosmart IWG75 actuators fitted before being VSR Balanced to motorsport spec.

Interested call or email for your turbo enquiries
AET Turbos Tel: 01924 894171

More Details of pricing and availability will follow shortly.

Cheers

Bill @badger5

Reactions: ashley cox, hydro s3, Dreminator and 19 others
:welcome!: big hybrid...... more than 400hp its insane

Reactions: Pedrosousa
Thats an epic result! But on a side note, a 400hp lupo! Madness!!

Reactions: Shoomakan
Does MrsB know what you are doing to her pride and joy Bill :D
Impresseive figures

Results look promissing for my bigger TTE360 with its K16 turbine. Good work Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRhames
price on these yet bill?
not that I want one purely interest. it's just unreal what's going on with these things these days

sorry just seen it says prices to follow

And the rest of the boost plots I have... aggressive, significantly more torque, but with more boost also comes a lot more heat load.. so balance it all out to get what you want.. Remember this car is a Lupo! frotn wheel drive.. just over 1000kg.. Whats the point of banging in the boost/torque early when all it results in is wheelspin, and unwanted heatload into the cylinders.. My preference always.. smooth and roll it in, they just prefer it that way in my experience. No smoke, no mirrors, just how it is.

lupoAET--boost-plots_ALL.jpg

Reactions: antwan64og and TTE Si
Nice if true as even more close to my spec (real K16 with clip). Just exducer looks smaller in images shared, like the copies are TBH, maybe just the image then.

400hp is very nice..

Nice if true as even more close to my spec (real K16 with clip). Just exducer looks smaller in images shared ike the copies are TBH, maybe just the image then.

400hp is very nice..

K16 full size - Very true. I dont deal in BS..
and yes 400bhp number was very pleasing.
I pitched it as a 380bhp capable unit.... and it passed that number

We all know the setup/engine onto which these things are installed on, has a huge influence on outcome.
On same car, only change being turbo & adjusting map, there was a 30bhp gain in peak figures, 20+lbft peak gain, +500rpm faster torque onset & spool... etc etc

the "system" is vital to the outcome. Manifold, Intake, downpipe, exhaust, Turbo.... fmic, cooling, and of course a healthy engine under all of that.

Reactions: Pedrosousa, TTE Si, SHUk and 1 other person
This is just brilliant!! Good effort on the results...

Ive heard others claim full size or custom K16. Real K16 exducer is 49mm, good that you say you are using.

Very true on the motor and set-up

That Lupo must be fun and be well fast.. Great stuff !!

Do you sell these posh turbos to racing teams? you have am amazing gift - there must be a way to semi mass produce these before some clown copies your hard work and research.

Do you sell these posh turbos to racing teams? you have am amazing gift - there must be a way to semi mass produce these before some clown copies your hard work and research.
What on earth are you on about Stuart?

Reactions: VAG-Slag, JonnyDerv and <tuffty/>
Yeah pay no attention - I don't know enough about the subject or racing side to explain what I mean, my point is really around the R and D involved and whether there was potential to provide many units to a sport (as a preferred supplier - or whatever the term is) - as well as private sales.

Are you supplying a downpipe as part of the package, or will any 3" aftermarket downpipe be suitable?

Yeah pay no attention - I don't know enough about the subject or racing side to explain what I mean, my point is really around the R and D involved and whether there was potential to provide many units to a sport (as a preferred supplier - or whatever the term is) - as well as private sales.

I still dont know what you ar rambling on about Stuart..
Racing what? "supply units to a sport" - what sport?

They are available to anyone. simples.

Ive heard others claim full size or custom K16. Real K16 exducer is 49mm, good that you say you are using.

Very true on the motor and set-up
There is more than 1 size of Real K16..

Reactions: Pedrosousa and Miguel_S#
Stuff like this should be banned from the forum and facebook.

Now I have to fight the urge to buy another 1.8t and make a track car.
Damn you Bill
:respekt:

Stuff like this should be banned from the forum and facebook.

Now I have to fight the urge to buy another 1.8t and make a track car.
Damn you Bill
:respekt:
You know it makes sense....

I might resurrect my dream of converting a Panda 4x4 and fitting a 20v in it LOL

<tuffty/>

Reactions: AdzA3AGU, StaceyS3 and scotty_24
Holy chit Bill, is this the hybrid you recommended to me? I ordered mine with them last Monday so should probably be receiving it some time this week, is this the spec they will be sending me? I did ask Matt for the 'Badger 5' spec and he knew what I meant.

402hp is an insane result which I'm sure no one ever thought we would see o_O...

And the rest of the boost plots I have... aggressive, significantly more torque, but with more boost also comes a lot more heat load.. so balance it all out to get what you want.. Remember this car is a Lupo! frotn wheel drive.. just over 1000kg.. Whats the point of banging in the boost/torque early when all it results in is wheelspin, and unwanted heatload into the cylinders.. My preference always.. smooth and roll it in, they just prefer it that way in my experience. No smoke, no mirrors, just how it is.

lupoAET--boost-plots_ALL.jpg

Be interesting to see a full boost run on a haldex equipped car that's not as traction limited.

Good stuff Bill

Not really on the dyno since haldex have to be dyno'd in fwd....

Generally there is more as the transfer box and prob increase drag... the losses tend to increase with power too...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Mav190sline