1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

New A7 review 4 months in....disappointing.

Wippers Mar 24, 2019

1. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

Yes they all do this, but does anyone drive in efficiency mode anyway, no wonder the car feels sluggish because that's what it is meant to do...

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. koolkul

koolkul Member Team Ibis Sportback TFSI Owners Group Team V6 S-line owners group A7 Owner Group

Hi Edward, just read about the motion noise, when I bought mine, at around 30mph and above everyone in the car heard what sounded like a wind buffeting noise. A bit like someone hand just wound down a wind by a little. It was very irritating for a luxury car especially as my previous A7 was super quiet. When I took it back to dealer and demonstrated it the Audi Techs adjusted the boot so it was not quite flush. Their reasoning was that the seals in the boot did not allow air to pass cleanly through the vehicle!?! So now the noise is mostly nonexistent but I notice the boot line is a little raises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mooogie

Mooogie Member

Interesting! Are you able to send a photo of the not quite flush boot? Do you know how they raised it slighty? Did they reprogram/code anything or fit a shim somewhere to stop the boot closing as tightly?

5. koolkul

koolkul Member Team Ibis Sportback TFSI Owners Group Team V6 S-line owners group A7 Owner Group

Sure will, but they said that another dealer had a similar problem and Audi suggested making adjustments to the boot closing mechanism. It took them a few hours while I waited and it sounded like it a mechanical fix rather than software.

6. Edward L

Edward L New Member Team Daytona A7 Owner Group

Thank you very much indeed. Can I ask which dealer did the work? Do you think Audi UK acknowledge the issue?

Like you, my previous A7 (2016 model) was beautifully quiet. This new, improved car, just isn’t!

7. Edward L

Can I ask what tyres your A7 was on? Mine is on Yokohama Advans.

8. koolkul

They are on Bridgestone Turanza T005 255/35 on 21” rims. Very quiet and comfortable even for that size of rim. My old A7 was also on 21” rotor arm design, beautiful rims, lower sportier profile but very prone to kerbing and not as quiet or as comfortable Conti Sport Contact.

9. Edward L

Thanks, so no connection between tyres and the motion noise you had? My gut feeling is that it is not tyre roar.

10. koolkul

Not in my case, the wheels and tyres are definitely a lot quieter than old A7 which I suspect is down to the profile not being as sportier.

11. koolkul

I forgot to mention the dealer was Slough Audi.
    Here are some shots of the boot[​IMG] and compared with a model in the dealership [​IMG]
    Mine sticks up by abt 3mm

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Wippers

Wippers Active Member

Can’t believe that’s the fix by a main dealer. What a daft idea to the problem - make the boot not shut correctly. Bonkers.
    I’d not be happy.

14. Nabz1

Nabz1 New Member

Same here! Got the same model and done just around 7k miles. The car has been to the dealership 4 times.

The first issue was with a faulty mechanism on the panoramic roof which would not close. That has since been fixed

Secondly there was a horrible rattle on the centre air vents which I had replaced all sorted now

Thirdly when panoramic roof was being fixed the dealership somehow scuffed the leather on the arm rest and the lining on the B pillar which they have since replaced.

The fourth issue is a rattle on the driver side b pillar around the seat belt. The dealership have reportedly fixed it. Although a bit better I occasionally hear rattling which is frustrating

The fifth issue was with the passenger side door which required a lot of force to close it. That has since been repaired. The door seal has been replaced.

The sixth issue was to do with the coolant leaking. That has since been reportedly fixed.

The 7th issue is that I’m getting error messages when I try updating the map over the air. Audi connect are long into this. It’s been two months

Maybe I should have gone with the cls!

That said, the bang and Olufsen sounds good tho and I like the 360 cameras. The matrix hd lights are super bright and the interior lighting is cool.

Ra

15. Wippers

Wippers Active Member

I’ve given mine back to Audi and had a full refund. Couldn’t live with either the woeful gearbox or the dangerous pre-sense.
    Bought an RS5 instead. Mid life crisis.

RAF_S7 likes this.
  16. Nabz1

Nabz1 New Member

I'm seriously considering doing this but I’ve done 7000 miles.

17. Nabz1

Nabz1 New Member

How did u resolve the rattles and creaks in the A7. Getting fed up now

18. Nabz1

Nabz1 New Member

I had the centre air vents replaced because of the rattle

19. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

Wow, that's disappointing to hear :blink:

20. Whimsy

Whimsy Member S-line owners group Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S tronic

Yup had the same several times now, its the little details that let things down.

I havent weened myself off from Waze as the address entry and search tools are terrible. Yesterday my partner wanted to go to the local Hobbycraft, it gave every Hobbycraft site around but the one 3 miles down the road. Even when using the name and town it wanted to head 200 miles to one there.

21. koolkul

Just bumping the thread. Just over a year on and mine is going in for its first service costing almost £500.
    Anyone else had theirs serviced?
    Any issues?

22. Sheroo

Sheroo New Member

I'm getting a rear spoiler failure, local Audi dealership has advised that the controller is faulty and there are none in The UK or Germany, does anyone know the part number for this controller?

Also @Nabz1 can you please advise how you got the centre rattle repaired, I think I'm hearing the same problem.

PS. @koolkul Sadly can't help you with the servicing as I had the first two thrown in free, that price does seem about right though.

koolkul likes this.
  23. stokieb

stokieb 2018 A7 50 TDI S-line Quattro Glacier White

Mine just had its first service £382.

They have finally acknowledged the dash rattle that others have mentioned. Going back in later to be fixed, hopefully. However the drivers b pillar rattle that I complained about could not be replicated!

While it was in it had a software update "Driver Assist systems". Seems to have changed a few things visually such as warning symbols for lane departure, speed limiter and what seems to be sat nav notifications.

However, since collecting getting RH main beam defect and Adaptive lighting faults when I use main beam. They seem okay but still getting errors. Bit of a coincidence after software update? Anyway that's now logged and they will check that when it goes back in.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    koolkul likes this.
  24. koolkul

Thanks!

25. Nabz1

Nabz1 New Member

Hi, the dash rattle was coming from the centre vents which was replaced under warranty. Despite the dealers efforts, the b pillar rattle remains. The rattle seems to come from the seat belt assembly on the driver side b pillar when the weather is not (plastics expanding) there are no rattles now that the weather is colder.

Why are you guys paying for the service? is the car not under warranty?

I still keep getting an error for the online map updates. I have tried to update it via sd card it still does not work - sort of given up

26. stokieb

stokieb 2018 A7 50 TDI S-line Quattro Glacier White

The charge is for the service, oil change etc. Not the warranty issues.

27. koolkul

That is cheap, I am being asked for 574 for oil and inspection after about 18k Miles

28. Ash187

Ash187 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter VCDS Map User quattro Audi A5

I also have the connect key and have the key user authorised on the app but don’t have the connect phone key working, can you go into more detail how to get it on?

29. Edward L

Have a look at the pictures in this thread around post 34/35 - does that help?

Kind regards

Edward

30. Ash187

Ash187 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter VCDS Map User quattro Audi A5

Does your car still have the wireless charger/nfc antenna module installed in the boot? I have a fault code on my car when scanned with vcds showing the module disconnected, I checked and it’s not there. According to Audi it was removed due to a fault with it interfering with police frequencies and will be replaced on another recall in the future when they have redeveloped the antenna... I’m thinking this is why it doesn’t work on mine.

31. Edward L

Cripes! No idea - happy to have a look but you would need to tell me what I am looking for and where. I did try and get an Audi Connect card but got told by Audi UK that they no longer support this feature. The feature that they had recently launched - I just put it down to Audi UK being their usual completely disinterested incompetent selves!

Just thinking about it, I don't believe NFC can interfere with anything - the NFC range is minute - millimetres I would say, not even centimetres so I cannot see that it would have enough power or range to interfere with anything. Why would wireless charging need an antenna? You sure you have the feature?