New A7 owner

Shane...

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Ive always been one for for messing about with my cars but with my last 2 cars being leases, I've not been able to do anything with them. I bought an A7 Black Ed last weekend so I'm looking forward to do some tasteful OEM+ style mods.
It's a pre facelift and my 1st mod is going to be facelift rear lights which I have already ordered. Id appreciate any links to guides or any information on how to do it as I've been struggling to find much about it tbh.
Also any other recommendations on popular mods, vcds mods etc would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: BD55SOL and Bishop187
Post some pics and what are the specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shane...
Spec wise it's pretty average. Its the 245ps 3.0 tdi, No hud, memory seats, pretty basic MMI and I think its got some sort of lighting pack on too as it has illuminated door cards as well as interior and exterior door handles
4aa6dc24d0bb07ed021d5c2d32abf3fc.jpg
eee20e681dfe8850f9006af502f69d4e.jpg
ffb24761f54e42f39bfdf348d511b572.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bishop187 and Eric_RS6
Very nice mate.

You can do the common grill change for a RS styled one. Maxton deisgn bits too. Lows and spacers?

I found a lot of VCDS guides on google mate so try there. I turned on my needle sweep, beep on lock, tailgate lift and close on key fob, rear lights on as DRL, and a few other bits I've forgotten. Just head to google and have a look. See what additions you fancy from the long list.

Thank you. I have found quite a few VCDS mods and already done a few to be honest.
I'm more interested in finding information about the rear light retro fit as I'm really struggling to find much information about the swap. I have found the Kufatec retro fit set on their website but they claim it isn't suitable for left hand traffic for whatever reason. I can't see how it being RHD would stop a cable from working? I have asked to clarification on this but they haven't answered me so maybe the customer service agent doesn't know.

Any information on this would be highly appreciated

Thank you. I have found quite a few VCDS mods and already done a few to be honest.
I'm more interested in finding information about the rear light retro fit as I'm really struggling to find much information about the swap. I have found the Kufatec retro fit set on their website but they claim it isn't suitable for left hand traffic for whatever reason. I can't see how it being RHD would stop a cable from working? I have asked to clarification on this but they haven't answered me so maybe the customer service agent doesn't know.

Any information on this would be highly appreciated

@NHN does a lot of coding - he should be your knight in shining armour!

@NHN does a lot of coding - he should be your knight in shining armour!
Ahh I hope so mate! Any information at all will be massively appreciated because I'm drawing an absolute blank wherever a look at the moment! I'm quickly realising how small the A7 "modding" community is

Ahh I hope so mate! Any information at all will be massively appreciated because I'm drawing an absolute blank wherever a look at the moment! I'm quickly realising how small the A7 "modding" community is

I think I know of very few people that have actually modified their A7, guess it is just not that kind of car. I came from the Ford world where you're the odd one out if you DON'T modify your car, it is the other way round in the A7 world! It would be boring if we were all the same though.
Guess with Audi, if you want to modify it you go for the S or RS models that don't weigh two tonne!

I did the rear light conversion on my A7.

What do you want to know/need help with?

I purchased the kit from these guys here

There is (was!) a set of facelift rear lights on eBay :racer:

I did the rear light conversion on my A7.

What do you want to know/need help with?

I purchased the kit from these guys here

There is (was!) a set of facelift rear lights on eBay :racer:
Yes! So people who have done it do exist!
I have already ordered the lights its just the wiring I need to get now. I have seen the wiring kit on Kufatec for around 130 quid but they say it isn't suitable for RHD which I can't get my head around. Can you think of any reason why apart from mayby coding? As they come with a coding box.

The kit you linked give you the options for NA pre facelift or Europe pre facelift so you would think the Kufatec would work across Europe too. I'm not keen on spending 450 quid on the wiring from bks if the Kufatec if basically the same but a cheaper.

Maybe the lights you seen were the ones I bought

I think I know of very few people that have actually modified their A7, guess it is just not that kind of car. I came from the Ford world where you're the odd one out if you DON'T modify your car, it is the other way round in the A7 world! It would be boring if we were all the same though.
Guess with Audi, if you want to modify it you go for the S or RS models that don't weigh two tonne!
Yeah I can see that there wouldn't be a massive mod scene with the type of car it is.
Last car I owned was a mk5 GTI so had a massive aftermarket. I'm more into oem plus anyway so like retrofits etc

Reactions: Eric_RS6
Hi Shane,

The eBay lights are still for sale (£560)
I’m not 100% sure on the LHD v RHD difference, the only thing I can think of may be the position of the fog lamp, which is irrelevant on the facelift lights.
Can you post a link to the Kufatec item you were thinking of buying?
I did mine a few years ago now, so can’t recall all the details, I remember the following:
  • The BK installation instructions were rubbish
  • There was no coding required
  • You need to remove the interior tailgate trim to run an additional wire to each of the inside light assemblies, this has to be fed from inside the wings, and through the rubber cable guide between tailgate and body
  • The sweeping indicator function requires additional hardware (if you look at the BK item, you can see the two black box modules in the picture). These are installed inside the rear wings, attached to each of the outer light assemblies. I don’t believe sweeping indicators is achievable via coding only
  • You need to swap a couple of pins around on the original lighting plugs
I should have a wiring diagram for the BK modules, I’ll see if I can find it and post it here.

Its not a hugely difficult project, hardest part was removing interior trim, and the outer lights....

John.

Wiring diagram for the BK module (In German, the important thing is to translate the cable colours...)
Not sure if the quality is good enough to zoom in and read everything. BTW, this is for ONE SIDE only - opposite side is pretty much identical, with a few minor changes to wiring colours.

Audi A7 Rear LED Retrofit Wiring

Thanks for this! I think I may be sorted now. I found a guy on audi owners group who funnily enough had a thread on here all about what I'm trying to do! God knows why I hadn't found it by searching the forum and Google?

I've ordered these and got the lights on the way so should be all good now hopefully! I'll post updates, before and after etc in here. Thanks again

Reactions: +robster+a7+tdi, Bishop187 and RAF_S7
Yeah as discussed you will be ok im sure. And it will be worth the effort. Ive only seen 1 other mk1 in my city with the mk2 rear lights so its quite unique .
The last 2 cars i bought with the kit and wheels i liked but got boring pretty quick not adding much further improvements/alterations in my ownership.

Not many modded a7 as we know so you get the odd young group of lads taking pictures and thinking its a supercar lol
im looking for classy not tacky and may revert number plate back to uk standard at some point if i get fed up with it

Off top of my head the stuff

IVE DONE
various coding vim, scandinavian drl, tailgate lift and lower from key, front drl brighter , cornering lights, convenience windows etc etc

, sat nav map update and mmi update to latest versions and also converted music videos to play and or save to hard drive from sd card etc etc

full ebc slotted discs and redstuff ceramic pads

hel braided hoses and brake fluid change

all gearbox and engine service up to date

remove k & n air filter that was fitted when i bought it but may refit as i cleaned and re oiled ready fresh to install but i never really rated these things as they wrecked mafs in my subaru days

rear light retrofit

wing mirror dynamic light strips

chrome delete window trim

black honeycomb grill and audi rings
black badging all round ( a pure immitation black edition so it is lol)

import number plate bracket and uk legal font square reg plate

Has tech pack with mmi 3g+ with all that capable tech so have inserted data only sim and enabled wireless hotspot and has a home brew phone mirroring via chromecast

Backbox delete with 4 inch tail pipe

stage1

rear view mirror modify to dash cam

THINGS TO DO
in progress wheels tyres and springs
front door speakers need attention
possible s-tronic remap to finish off the car

DOABLE
but prob better moving to a newer higher spec car at that point

going daft with engine bolt on's and removing emissions paraphernalia to get 400 and above BHP
face lifting front end
sunroof
wrap whole car to a stealth colour
flat bottom custom steering wheel

there is infinitely more in this category but not to my interests

A pic of the wheels im waiting for
im not planning on sitting this low but its an unknown quantity for me just now
so hopefully in next few weeks see the progress in my other thread

Attachments

• Japan-Racing-JR28-lifestyle-1.jpg
    Japan-Racing-JR28-lifestyle-1.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Shane... and RAF_S7
Update on the lights. They're in! The kit from Carat Garage is easily the best way to go. No messing with CCM etc and work flawlessly! I think it worked out 225 delivered for the kit and I got the lights 450 delivered so 675 all in. Car looks so much better now, totally transformed the rear end. I also coded in rear DRLs
d1e72f97f617f2b1013ccd8d2d63345b.jpg

Reactions: Bishop187, +robster+a7+tdi and rjwojcik
Took around 6hrs. Didn't rush just took my time and made sure inwas doing everything right. Only issue I came across was that I dropped 2 of the screws that hold the middle lights in into the boot lid. Never managed to get them out so each side only has one in now

Reactions: Bishop187
Yeah as discussed you will be ok im sure. And it will be worth the effort. Ive only seen 1 other mk1 in my city with the mk2 rear lights so its quite unique .
The last 2 cars i bought with the kit and wheels i liked but got boring pretty quick not adding much further improvements/alterations in my ownership.

Not many modded a7 as we know so you get the odd young group of lads taking pictures and thinking its a supercar lol
im looking for classy not tacky and may revert number plate back to uk standard at some point if i get fed up with it

Off top of my head the stuff

IVE DONE
various coding vim, scandinavian drl, tailgate lift and lower from key, front drl brighter , cornering lights, convenience windows etc etc

, sat nav map update and mmi update to latest versions and also converted music videos to play and or save to hard drive from sd card etc etc

full ebc slotted discs and redstuff ceramic pads

hel braided hoses and brake fluid change

all gearbox and engine service up to date

remove k & n air filter that was fitted when i bought it but may refit as i cleaned and re oiled ready fresh to install but i never really rated these things as they wrecked mafs in my subaru days

rear light retrofit

wing mirror dynamic light strips

chrome delete window trim

black honeycomb grill and audi rings
black badging all round ( a pure immitation black edition so it is lol)

import number plate bracket and uk legal font square reg plate

Has tech pack with mmi 3g+ with all that capable tech so have inserted data only sim and enabled wireless hotspot and has a home brew phone mirroring via chromecast

Backbox delete with 4 inch tail pipe

stage1

rear view mirror modify to dash cam

THINGS TO DO
in progress wheels tyres and springs
front door speakers need attention
possible s-tronic remap to finish off the car

DOABLE
but prob better moving to a newer higher spec car at that point

going daft with engine bolt on's and removing emissions paraphernalia to get 400 and above BHP
face lifting front end
sunroof
wrap whole car to a stealth colour
flat bottom custom steering wheel

there is infinitely more in this category but not to my interests
I didn't see this post till now for some reason?? Looks like you've got a bit to keep you busy. I think the next for me will be something to do with the mmi, I want to try and get android auto/carplay on there. Not even sure what type of mmi I have tbh, seems basic though.